Window Vacuum - New Kid on the Block? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Morning All,

I was up in the wee small hours and on TV, (Ideal World) they were selling what to me was a new kid on the block.

Spear and Jackson make a window vac. that many of us use a varient of in the van to mop up the condensation in a morning.

I noted that this version has twin containers, one of them to hold a spray of diluted cleaner as well as a res. for the
water sucked up.

Ideal were selling it for £20 plus postage but I note that it is available on E Bay where it can be bought without
postage costs.

Thought it would make a good present for Christmas

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We have a Karcher model. It’s very good, would I get by without one ? But for £20. The Karcher was double the price.
Phil

That was my thought.

It's even better value than the Lidl version.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Ideal world must have sold out as not on website, shame as it would have been £16 delivered for us.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Love our Karcher, but would love to swap it for a model which does not spit water everywhere when tilted or more than a few mm of water in the tank. I did read that some were having success with another manufacturer which can be tilted and does not spray water, I would swap to the other manufacturer if I knew who it was. I have 2 Karcher, one at home and one in the van and they both “spit”

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If one has a Karcher, fair enough. I'm not suggesting that you own two.
However, wherever it is made, and I don't know, Spear and Jackson is a reputable brand that have been around since 1830. (More than 100yrs before Karcher) They make many products with electric motors.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If one has a Karcher, fair enough. I'm not suggesting that you own two.
We do. One for home and one for the van!(y) Karcher and Lidl. Both work well.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Was thinking of getting a window vac as advertised on tv. Googled karcher and couldn't believe how many different ones there are!
How do you choose?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Love our Karcher, but would love to swap it for a model which does not spit water everywhere when tilted or more than a few mm of water in the tank. I did read that some were having success with another manufacturer which can be tilted and does not spray water, I would swap to the other manufacturer if I knew who it was. I have 2 Karcher, one at home and one in the van and they both “spit”
Use ours upside down when doing the bottom of the screen. The only time any water comes out is if the tank is full to the max line.

Have you checked that both the O rings are in tact?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Use ours upside down when doing the bottom of the screen. The only time any water comes out is if the tank is full to the max line.

Have you checked that both the O rings are in tact?

Ditto when using our karcher.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
How on earth have I managed to survive motorhoming for decades WITHOUT a condensation "collector" (as opposed to a cloth), a coffee maker and/or a breadmaking machine?

Just been lucky I guess... :whistle2:

JJ :cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends which Karcher you have as to whether it spits or not, the first versions did, the second and later versions don't do it much unless you invert them which is something they're not meant to so.

We've tried other makes and to be fair none came close to the Karcher for performance so we'll stick with them for now - we have 2 too ... the original for home use and the later version for the MH, obviously being from Yorkshire we didn't pay anything like the 'full' price! :giggle:

For those who have 'spitters', just put a cotton sock on it's bottom over the vents as this ensures any water that is spat out is absorbed, when done just hang the sock up to dry.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
How on earth have I managed to survive motorhoming for decades WITHOUT a condensation "collector" (as opposed to a cloth), a coffee maker and/or a breadmaking machine?

Don't know about "back in the day" (had window vacs. been invented then?,) but living where you do might have something to do with it.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Screwfix sell their own version £24.99 appears to have good reviews

<Broken link removed>

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Top tip. When they get older there is a residue build up inside (Karcher) and they start dribbling and leaking. Was about to bin Mum's until I dismantled properly and scrubbed with bleach cleaner and an old toothbrush. Back to working well.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Morning All,

I was up in the wee small hours and on TV, (Ideal World) they were selling what to me was a new kid on the block.

Spear and Jackson make a window vac. that many of us use a varient of in the van to mop up the condensation in a morning.

I noted that this version has twin containers, one of them to hold a spray of diluted cleaner as well as a res. for the
water sucked up.

Ideal were selling it for £20 plus postage but I note that it is available on E Bay where it can be bought without
postage costs.

Thought it would make a good present for Christmas
That sounds like suggesting buying an iron and ironing board for the wife at Christmas.......not sure it’s a good idea 😉

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
£15 Never used.
20201130_215722.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun