Will not start (1 Viewer)

camelot

Free Member
Jan 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
I have a Peugeot boxer 2001 motorhone
I recently changed the battery And having trouble starting the vehicle now it will not start it seems to recognise the key I have three keys including the red one the key recognition light goes out but the heater plugs do you not light up and the engine will not turn over I have disconnected the battery and reconnected and left it off overnight thinking the shutdown would reset the immobiliser But with no avail with anyone have any idea

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi welcome, sounds like something up with the immobilizer to me, is that something to do with the battery being left off too long or the old battery going flat; could be the case.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Is the battery flat? Test it with a multimeter.

Do you have a battery charger? If not,maybe get one?

Maybe there is a drain on the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

camelot

Free Member
Jan 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
The battery is fully charged and I tested it with a multimeter and I’ve use the spare battery on jump leads to make sure I have full power

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Engine/body earth.
An earth can be good enough for low power dash lights etc but bang 2 or 300amps through it for the starter motor and it won't cope.
Try a jump lead from the battery earth terminal to the engine block then attempt a start.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
If you do need to buy a battery charger then buy a trickle charger it will be more useful because you can leave it charging during the lockdown. Not just a one off charge.

OP
OP
C

camelot

Free Member
Jan 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
i have a trickle charger, battery full and checked earth still won't turn over

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Seems like you have checked the common issues..
The 2001 is a great bit of kit with hardly any high tech modern crap so hows about back to basics..
When you changed the battery are you 100% sure you got ALL the wires back on ?
Could a wire have become dislodged or loose from its connection on the +ve post ?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Perhaps the starter motor is jammed. In the old days we used to put the car in gear and rock it to disengage the blighter. Not easy with a motorhome,and probably different technology nowadays.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
when you say doesnt start do you mean it doesnt turn over ?check for power at the starter jump the starter terminals to get power to both if it turns then work back to the ignition switch

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I just did a bit of checking
Apparently the immobiliser ECU can go fut when you change the battery.. Dash still says the key is ok but the ECU will not fire up
GOod(ish) news is that if that does end up being the issue a replacement immobiliser ECU is not exchanged for your first born or and appendages.. it should be well under £100
If all else fails Motorite in Warwick might be worth talking to

Of course it is just as likely at this stage to be something simple, so keep on with the normal checks :)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I just did a bit of checking
Apparently the immobiliser ECU can go fut when you change the battery.. Dash still says the key is ok but the ECU will not fire up
GOod(ish) news is that if that does end up being the issue a replacement immobiliser ECU is not exchanged for your first born or and appendages.. it should be well under £100
If all else fails Motorite in Warwick might be worth talking to

Of course it is just as likely at this stage to be something simple, so keep on with the normal checks :)
Would a 2001 have an ecu?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The immobiliser on the earlier vans is easy enough for an auto electrician to bypass

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back