Wildax to invest millions in new campervan production facility (1 Viewer)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
Wild Ax is now owned by Rido but, according to the last article i read, are allow an 'autonimous' existence re models, design etc...
Whether the investement is from the parent company or Wild Ax, i dont know..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wild Ax is now owned by Rido but, according to the last article i read, are allow an 'autonimous' existence re models, design etc...

Yes they are a French owned company now. Which is a shame. I'm almost sure that Fun's first Motorhome show in 2007 (Northern Show) was their first show too, they were right nextdoor to us

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Yip. Still the MD, just a lot richer than before Rapido days!
1591897633777.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I see him on their stand at shows

He is a nice knowledgeable man, spoke to him a few times at shows and at his place in Leeds years ago, him being at the helm has led to the success of the company, well done to him.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Duncan still in nominal charge
Rapido provides the investment funds... they've only recently moved to their current premises but the new place is to be modelled on Rapidos factory & processes.

This will change Wildax, for better or worse I don't know... but it will change.
Already they've changed from having just a few models but built for you, and individual alterations possible sold directly to a wider range, and dealership sales...
Rapidos buying power should keep costs down but at the cost of individualism.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
‘Rapidos buying power should keep costs down but at the cost of individualism.’

That’s very likely. But...

...Back in the mid eighties, when the vw in my avatar became very cramped as our third child arrived. We bought a new Rapido folding caravan. Which we towed behind the v dub. It opened like a deck of cards but was easily towed and solid when assembled. The owners group arrange a factory visit in Mayen. It was very interesting and conducted by the owner. Which I guess was one of the directors shown in the companies house list for Wildax above.
They didn’t make motorhomes back then, but had recently introduced a more conventional half height folding caravan alongside the old style we had. Rapido appears to be in the same family ownership now as then. Unlike the massive, impersonal groups that are really just investment businesses nowadays.
Wildax might not have found a better tie up for a combination of economy of scale and independence. Good luck to them both.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Duncan still in nominal charge
Rapido provides the investment funds... they've only recently moved to their current premises but the new place is to be modelled on Rapidos factory & processes.

This will change Wildax, for better or worse I don't know... but it will change.
Already they've changed from having just a few models but built for you, and individual alterations possible sold directly to a wider range, and dealership sales...
Rapidos buying power should keep costs down but at the cost of individualism.

In my experience it is very difficult for a SME manufacturing company in the UK to expand beyond a certain point. The owner(s) have limited options.

Private investors with millions to invest are hard to find
Banks are too risk-averse and not very interested in SMEs unless they can gouge them
Greedy Vulture Venture Capitalists are only interested if they can get a 30% return on capital year on year and anyway they want an exit in 5 years or less
Floating your company on the stock market is expensive (£500k in fees alone to list on the AIM) and effectively your company is permanently up for sale once listed.

Selling your shares to a French Group with a strong track record in the same industry is a good strategy. It can be a culture shock so I hope the MD is able to adapt successfully, and Wildax goes from strength to strength.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back