Which starter battery? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
One of our two starter batteries - 24V system - recently failed, so I'm looking for a replacement wet lead-acid starter battery.

Yuasa say 627 is suitable for our Clou, ie 120Ah and 675A CCC minimum but the current ones are slightly bigger 629s ie 170+Ah and 1000A CCC so I'll go with the bigger 629.

Looking on Tayna there's quite a wide range of pricing, from their cheapest Powerline at £134 (4Y warranty), their recommended Enduroline £178 (4Y warranty) which has the same specs, to Bosch TE 077 at £232 (2Y warranty). Around £160-180 are Exide, Banner, Varta, Yuasa on 2Y warranties. All 180Ah and around 1000A CCC.

I'll get a 12-24V B2B trickle charger to keep the chassis batteries topped up from solar as well as the 12V leisure batteries whilst we're away - for quite long periods and I can't leave it plugged in. Long periods off charge probably contributed to the demise of the battery.

I presume the warranties are longer on Powerline and Enduroline because they're Tayna's own brands, but the specs for those two look the same. Just wondering whether there's anything to choose between them in terms of longevity?

Or any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Warranties are just a gamble on manufacturers part a lot of the time. Eg in Halfords pay more for identical battery with different sticker on it for longer warranty. Tayna product usually good though.

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Agreed.

Spoke to Tayna who recommended Powerline, as cheaper and no practical difference.

£170 delivered. Delivery is £36.

Trying to work out if I need two. The better battery holds its charge but couldn't deliver 12A for long, so I'm testing its capacity.

Don't want to repeat this exercise anytime soon!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back