Which Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Photo Editing' started by Vanman, Nov 1, 2017.

1. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +18,896
    They’re ahead in display performance and general system stability as well.

Product photography is a dying art now. More and more companies are using cgi instead.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. NickNic

Ratings:
    +18,896
    Open source projects aren’t intended to be commercial. It defeats the object.

Like many others Gimp probably started life as someone’s college or hobby coding project and has gone from there. The developers usually all have well paid other jobs in software design.

3. DJA

DJA Funster

Ratings:
    +438
    I have used Photoshop Elements, current cost £86.56, for years on Windows machines and now have it loaded on a Mac. Every so often I have updated it if I felt the new version offered additional features which I thought would be of benefit. I have found it to work equally well on both platforms, with no apparent difference, once you have learned all the techniques you find you need. There are a number of "auto steps" you can follow to improve your pictures Contrast, Level, Haze Removal, Tone, Colour Correction and Sharpening. Ultimately as you get used to it you can then set your own changes to your pictures. It has all the other useful tools like the Clone Stamp Tool for removing the Ex and replacing with the latest!!!! The programme is a cut down version of the market leading software but like other programmes, for instance Word, most people only use about 5% of a programmes ability and Elements covers way more than that.

4. NickNic

Ratings:
    +18,896
    It's not quite as simple as that. It is there as a replacement copy for people who originally bought or licensed CS2 and have a valid licence number, not as a free for anyone download.

If you download it and don't licence it then it's no different to any other pirate software.

Anyway it's terribly outdated and bears little resemblance to CS2017 so it's not much use as a learning tool. I don't even know if it will install properly on up to date operating systems.

5. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Ratings:
    +1,383
    OMG.

I thought I was asking a simple question LOL. Instead of a simple answer I have 3 or 4 alternative options and some rather strange views about ebay and Macs. In truth the answers are so far from what I hoped for I am not sure that I can do them justice. But just to show I didn't ignore them, here are some responses -

Gimp, tried it again but it's just way OTT for what I want. It would take more time than I want to invest to learn it. I looked at a couple of Youtube training vids but after 15 mins of layers that was working towards sticking someone's head on a banana I gave up.

Corel 3 I vaguely remember. Looked at a modern version and it had changed beyond what I remember so would be as hard as Gimp to learn. Really the Light-software is the same too - hundreds of filters with tens of settings each ... life is too short.

As for Graphics designers laughing at me, well I am sure I can live with that* (y) :)

Thanks for the replies anyway. If anyone does come up with a cheap and cheerful option that is easy to use - straight from the box, please let me know.

*I thought we got rid of all the Graphics designers on the "B Ark" ;)

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +4,524
  7. rogher

rogher Funster

Ratings:
    +1,392
    or ACDSee. You can suckit & C for free first. Get the 'standard' version.

8. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Have you tried this yourself? The software looks good ... from a distance, but it looks like a lot of the users are up in arms with the Adware (pop-ups etc) and crippled functions (watermarks etc), forcing you to pay to upgrade to the Pro version.

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +22,715
    You are of course correct and I should know better. Being a massive GNU user for work and leisure I shouldn't make stupid mistakes like that. Thanks for pointing it out.

It is opensource. In most cases opensource is written by professional programmers as a side project and they release it under the GPL licence. This means everyone has access to the source code and can make changes/improvements to it on the proviso that any changes they make are given back to the community. They also have to give the source code for any changes they make.

Using the Gimp example. It may be that a graphics company likes Gimp but can't use it as it is missing a feature so they have to continue using Adobe. They one day decide to pay a programmer to add the feature they require which is a one off cost unlike the Adobe continuous licensing fees. So they pay the programmer and get the upgrade they want. The programmer releases the update back to the community and it is added as a core feature. Other ways are that a programmer has an itch to scratch and decides to help out the community. He will get a nice little example to add to his portfolio of work and the community benefits.

https://www.gimp.org/news/2017/03/01/an-interview-with-michael-natterer-gimp-maintainer/

This is not the only way opensource works. But it is a fantastic community system with altruism and profit in equal measures.

RedHat for example is a company that only does opensource and it is a $Billion company now..

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Ratings:
    +1,383
    To me that could be the worst of both worlds ... first you have to learn to use it and then pay $60 for the privilege (and that's assuming you don't need the Pro version $100).

11. rogher

rogher Funster

Ratings:
    +1,392
    But you can learn to use it for free. A lot of providers charge to to discover wether it's for you or not. The only risk is your time.
    I cut my teeth on ACDSee a long time ago (when it was free). Since then it may have become more complex, I don't know, but I thought it was good at the time. It's primarily a viewer and organiser but also contains features to edit photos. I don't think you'll need the pro version, but that's an optional upgrade that you could try first anyway.
    Whatever you get, you'll need to invest time in to learn how to use it. Every developer:Ds idea of intuition seems to differ from everyone else, so I doubt there's anything that you can just 'pick-up and use'.
    Best of luck, anyway.

12. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +14,040
    It installs fine on Win 10 and when they made it a free download there were no restriction on it's use they just made it clear there would be no support for it.

13. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Just in case anyone was wondering ... I've been self teaching to use GIMP, just when I really need to do something. So far I can rotate, crop and save in other formats/sizes (y) ;)

14. NickNic

Ratings:
    +18,896
    That’s the best way.

Nobody needs to know how to do everything with this type of package. You wouldn’t remember it all anyway and very few people want or need to get deeply into image manipulation.

Figuring out how to do something as and when you need to do it is the preferred method for most users, even those of us that are using it professionally. When you consider that there are multiple ways of doing most things it makes even more sense. YouTube will always be your friend. Whatever you want to do someone will know how to and have posted a video lesson.

The best tip I can offer, especially relevant when you progress into adjusting levels and other retouching, is know when to stop. If it’s a photo keep it natural.

A sure sign of an amateur who knows a few techniques but has no understanding of what they’re actually doing is a photo that looks like an acid trip. Example: if you’ve taken a picture of the beach at Skegness in November it isn’t going to look like a tropical paradise. The sea and the sky weren’t that colour and nothing was actually that bright so don’t retouch your picture to make it look that way.

15. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,455
    Some may laugh but Irfanview has some basic photo editing features - it all depends on what you want to do - and it's free.

16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +18,565
    I used to really like the serif products photoplus, drawplus and the like. They have also "upgraded" to "affinity" but what they call the legacy products are still available http://www.serif.com/photoplus/

At one time the older versions were free :(