Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
This has probably been done loads before but here goes

I have dash cams in all my cars we have blackvue systems but these are about £280 ish. I am looking for one for my MH but don't really want to spend that much as it does not get used any where near as much.

We have an A class and want to be able to still pull all blinds down if possible without removing the camera. We could have one mounted on the dash somehow without drilling so sticky pad of some sort

Needs to have separate sim card to remove to view footage on a laptop easily

What have you got and what price was it and are you happy with it

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I would like to know which ones are suitable for mounting on the dashboard instead of at the top of the windscreen. If I did that with mine the video would be upside down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
I just got one of these...
Broken Link Removed

I cannot believe the quality of the recording when played back on the pc. A doddle to set up, dead cheap and I will find a way to fix it to the pop up thing on the dash coz I didn't think about the blinds... Come to think of I'm not sure it actually got in the way of them... anyway It will do me for a Motorhome dashcam

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I have a next base 512gw and it gives you the option of reversing it.
Another vote for this. I have one in my car. And another base for in the camper. I also like the digital speed option as well.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Another vote for nextbase, and you can just buy the mounts so you can swop the cam around different vehicles..

image.jpg

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Not bad for a penny.
I bought one and with the addition of a memory card it will do what u want in HD. Fit setup and forget. It looks so cheap no one is going to steal it.
If I want to see what picture it is recording its connected to the head unit.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just bite the bullet and stick with the BlackVue.
Ours is on an A Class and because of the curve of the screen there is plenty of room between the screen and blind.
I tried a NextBase and had loads of problems plus the very flexible mount creates loads of vibration, particularly with the hard tyres/ suspension on a van.
Now back with BlackVue which is excellent.

Richard.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I use BlackVue, why don’t you just buy the 2nd vehicle kit and just transfer the camera into the van when you use it.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I think I will stick with the blackvue we have 5 of them in our cars and they never fail so will spend a little extra and stick with what I know works well

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Roadhawk HD in my a class Hymer, the best imo.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
I’ve got a Nextbase 312GW and I’m a bit disappointed with the playback quality. The first time I viewed the footage of a car overtaking us at about 15mph faster than our speed you’d be very lucky to read their number plate, this was daytime and in very good conditions, I’m sure if a vehicle coming the other way in 30 mph traffic clipped your vehicle you’d have no chance of getting the registration number from the recording, hopefully the 512GW performs better.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Nextbase 612 - keeps filling up the memory with “crashes”, every pothole! You can maybe reduce the sensitivity. As it is the unit needs rebooting regularly. It can stop recording without me noticing, which isn’t too helpful. Video files are so big my old PC cannot display them without jerky stop/start replay. I guess the processor is too slow.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Nextbase 612 - keeps filling up the memory with “crashes”, every pothole! You can maybe reduce the sensitivity. As it is the unit needs rebooting regularly. It can stop recording without me noticing, which isn’t too helpful. Video files are so big my old PC cannot display them without jerky stop/start replay. I guess the processor is too slow.
You can change the sensitivity (from memory High, Med, Low, Off). You can also change the Resolution and Video Length segments (both of which change the file sizes).
Do you reformat the card regularly? You're meant to. This could be your problem with rebooting if you're not.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks. The card needs reformatting on every trip longer than a couple of hours!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks. The card needs reformatting on every trip longer than a couple of hours!
What brand \ size of card are you using?
Some brand of cards can be of poor quality and will give read \ write errors.
I always use Samsung or SanDisk and have yet to have one fail. The ones in our Sat Nav (32gb, maximum supported) and dashcam (64Gb) are both SanDisk U1 / "10" speed class. The dashcam will take up to 128Gb if latest firmware installed. Ours is a 312GW however, I think, your 612GW will need a U3 card?

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Sandisk extreme 128gb SDXC class 10 u3 v30

Cannot get much better than that...

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Had two NextBase top of the range dash cams, both rubbish.
Went back to BlackVue and no more problems.
How NextBase got top reviews I’ll never know.

Richard.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Sandisk extreme 128gb SDXC class 10 u3 v30

Cannot get much better than that...
Correct. Maybe a call to Nextbase is your next option?
02920 866 429

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Halfrauds sell nextbase.........say no more.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Halfrauds also sell the Garmin 55 which has been FAULTLESS for me the last approx two years.
Last time I mentioned it on a thread though someone else had one and said it was rubbish so I can only assume I either got a good one or they had a bad batch.
Never had any issue with Garmin products to be quite honest.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
When you say 'rubbish' - what actual problems did you have with them ?

?
First one overheated to such an extent that I once had to use leather work gloves to remove it from the screen.
When overheated it cut out and stopped recording, although one didn’t realise until stopped at the end of a drive.
Unit exchanged by Halfords who had their entire stock of that model removed and replaced by NextBase because of similar problems. I understood that NextBase never admitted the fact.
Second one also ran hot, but not as bad as the first. It also used to stop recording after being on for a couple of hours or so.
After a long drive I would remove the SIM card to load clips to the laptop to find the last few miles hadn’t been recorded.
As part of its job was to record the approach to sites, like yours would, it wasn’t a lot of good.
Also, the articulated bracket holding it on the screen allowed too much vibration no matter how tightly it was fixed. That caused quite a lot of ‘wobble’ (technical term) on the picture.
There were some things I quite liked about NextBase but the product didn’t live up to expectations despite being their ‘top of the range’ camera.

My trusty BlackVue, which replaced it, has been 100%.

I must commend Halfords for their service in exchanging the faulty cameras without complaint.

Richard

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
First one overheated to such an extent that I once had to use leather work gloves to remove it from the screen.
When overheated it cut out and stopped recording, although one didn’t realise until stopped at the end of a drive.
Unit exchanged by Halfords who had their entire stock of that model removed and replaced by NextBase because of similar problems. I understood that NextBase never admitted the fact.
Second one also ran hot, but not as bad as the first. It also used to stop recording after being on for a couple of hours or so.
After a long drive I would remove the SIM card to load clips to the laptop to find the last few miles hadn’t been recorded.
As part of its job was to record the approach to sites, like yours would, it wasn’t a lot of good.
Also, the articulated bracket holding it on the screen allowed too much vibration no matter how tightly it was fixed. That caused quite a lot of ‘wobble’ (technical term) on the picture.
There were some things I quite liked about NextBase but the product didn’t live up to expectations despite being their ‘top of the range’ camera.

My trusty BlackVue, which replaced it, has been 100%.

I must commend Halfords for their service in exchanging the faulty cameras without complaint.

Richard

Thanks for that extensive reply.

I am getting a lot of 'wobble' on the picture while driving in France and it is really getting to be a problem with the videos I hope to post later this year.

I had hoped there was a simple solution but after reading your woes with the cameras I realise I shouldn't have changed from my trusty Mobius camera.

A trip to Halfords is on the cards on my return.

Again thanks.

?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Had 3 of these for 2 years I use 2 in car and van and one as cctv at home never had a problem

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.