Where to stay in/near York for newbies (1 Viewer)

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Hi All,

At long last, it seems we are able to pick up our 'van. We are planning a handover day for the Friday 16th October and will want to stay in/near York Fri/Sat/Sun nights to see York and get to know our new home; we will then head back dharn sarf to our storage nr home on Monday. I have had a search here and Google and also CAMC and have a couple of options those being Beechwood CAMC and an independent called The Nurseries; both will get us into and out of York without too much trouble and both look quite nice with enough facilities for the newbie. Rowntree which is right in the middle of York would do too but it's currently booked (will phone next week to see if there is any space). Beechwood is approx £95 and Nurseries approx £60 so I'm already shying away from CAMC (why do CAMC seem more expensive BTW???).

Our 'van is a Auto-Sleeper Corinium Duo so to us, it's quite a big new thing and I'd not yet want to trust my judgment on negotiating anything too narrow/steep/low/sharp!

So, any recommendations for sites in/near York, please. Would like comfortable and quiet with facilities especially EHU so we can test things out and learn the ropes, happy to pay a little more for that comfort factor...

:Ta2:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There is a britstop pub close to York with a bus stop right outside that takes you to the centre of town, good meals too, not a member anymore so forget the exact location but I'm sure someone will know.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Bleak House Farm CL, great little site, it's on grass with no EHU, Heslington lane, Fulford York

A few minutes walk down Broadway and bus straight in, great walks in the university grounds directly opposite the site.

Nice cycle in to York 10-15 mins along the river, straight down Broadway, straight over the junction at the lights and a cycle path all the way along the river.

I have walked it many times too.

£8 a night, lovely elderly lady called Lena owns it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Naburn lock lovely site, adults only part if you want it, bus stop at gate into york 4 miles, toilets, showers and ehu, just google it for details, enjoy your new m/h.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
We stayed a few days at Nurseries, nice site easy 15 min walk to bus into York.

Jun 29, 2020
Paulton
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 685
Exp
Since 2012, Tugger for previous 20 odd years
York Caravan Park. 2 miles outside of town bus stop right outside entrance.
Yorkcaravanpark.com
Warm welcome if a little blunt if you get there too early

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The site at the Lysander Arms on the north side of York near the park and ride and the retail park is were we stay for the Christmas market.
Not sure what the situation is at the moment but it is lovely small site with all pitches being hard standing with full services. It is amongst the houses and may be overlooked by some of the flats but we found the location near to the park and ride suited us for travelling into York.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Grantchester is a lovely site, a short 2 minute walk to a regular bus service into the City.

grantchestercamping.co.uk

Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just back from 5 nights @ Naburn Lock and must say the site was superb, showers and toilets spotless. If your a walker you’ll like the path along the river into Naburn village and the bus stops outside the camp gates to take you into York
👍
We will be going back
😊

Attachments

• thumbnail-1.jpg
    thumbnail-1.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 30
  • thumbnail-2.jpg
    thumbnail-2.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 30
  • thumbnail-3.jpg
    thumbnail-3.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 27
  • thumbnail-4.jpg
    thumbnail-4.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 28
  • thumbnail-5.jpg
    thumbnail-5.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 30
  • thumbnail-6.jpg
    thumbnail-6.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 27
  • thumbnail-7.jpg
    thumbnail-7.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 25
  • thumbnail-9.jpg
    thumbnail-9.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 27
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 28
Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
We have stayed at The Nurseries last year and would so again. Lovely little site within easy distance of the main town and also the countryside.
They were fully booked up when we went to York so we stayed at Wagtail Caravan site, which is on the outskirts of York.

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
Hi All,

At long last, it seems we are able to pick up our 'van. We are planning a handover day for the Friday 16th October and will want to stay in/near York Fri/Sat/Sun nights to see York and get to know our new home; we will then head back dharn sarf to our storage nr home on Monday. I have had a search here and Google and also CAMC and have a couple of options those being Beechwood CAMC and an independent called The Nurseries; both will get us into and out of York without too much trouble and both look quite nice with enough facilities for the newbie. Rowntree which is right in the middle of York would do too but it's currently booked (will phone next week to see if there is any space). Beechwood is approx £95 and Nurseries approx £60 so I'm already shying away from CAMC (why do CAMC seem more expensive BTW???).

Our 'van is a Auto-Sleeper Corinium Duo so to us, it's quite a big new thing and I'd not yet want to trust my judgment on negotiating anything too narrow/steep/low/sharp!

So, any recommendations for sites in/near York, please. Would like comfortable and quiet with facilities especially EHU so we can test things out and learn the ropes, happy to pay a little more for that comfort factor...

:Ta2:
We stayed at the private site also called Beechwood, just next door in fact. Brand new about 6 weeks ago. Very friendly very well laid out spacious hardstandings with water/ electric on each pitch. Quiet and close to the park and ride. Very friendly owners and none of CAMC strict rules I have heard of on this forum.

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
Another vote for Lysander Arms. But check given current times. Handy for park and ride and (last year) good food

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
We have booked York Marina on the canal for half term, looks like a nice place.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We stayed at Ashfield touring park in November last year. There's a regular bus service into York less than a 5 minute walk away. It's just off the A1079 Hull Road.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back