Where to people "park / live" when full timing and remaining employed?? (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Its a bit of an odd one tbh. I live full-time and 100% off-grid and work from home. For freebie parks ups, you have to google map it, search and then use street view, its how I do it when I move I have a main location and a number of back up as parkups. I don't know the cost of parking at campsites or other places as I park and walk if I can.

Its a tricky thing in the UK at the best of times and the parking issues are getting way worse.

Best way to go, do as much research into parking, maybe google the location where you work and look for potential rule changes against vans which are happening everywhere, When I do research I often find council sites with raving mad locals dead against vans, that could be a sign of a major issue if hate is building.

For example, a place local to me where I used to live Hunstanton van hate when hate starts to build like this and i've seen miles worse, its not wise to park there.

All you do is Google, town name, and parking ban on vans but mostly its motorhomes
In response to your penultimate paragraph re "Van hate" my only experiences of this is when people park up for days and sometimes weeks on end and treat the roadside like a campsite that annoys residents of these places,
We have friends who live in Hunstanton who have no problems with people parking their 'vans on the cliff top road, and stay for just the one night, so as usual the old 90 / 10 rule still applies,
Not having a go at anyone, just stating the bleedin' obvious,
thanks
Joe

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Is that the caravan club? I've never looked into it but that's crazy lol.
Camping and Caravan Club, I was not aware that they do seasonal pitches so can't speak about those, but I'm currently at the Walton site, normally I travel around but for medical reasons i've had to stay here for a while, they have a sign up in the office that due to a policy change overnight storage is no longer possible from the 1st July so when my next 28 days is up I will have to move off for one night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Is there a university within your chosen area?
If so, it means there will be student landlords who are quite used to temporary long term tenants.

When a friend of mine was at Uni in Oxford, the large shared house they rented for two years came with a mature student who lived in a caravan in the garden.
He used the loo and shower (which were conveniently next to the back door), but no other house facilities, so the house occupants often would not see him from one week to the next.
(He also mowed the lawn, so unlike all the other student houses, this one had a usable garden!)

I've no idea how much he paid, but it could be an idea worth exploring.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
In response to your penultimate paragraph re "Van hate" my only experiences of this is when people park up for days and sometimes weeks on end and treat the roadside like a campsite that annoys residents of these places,
We have friends who live in Hunstanton who have no problems with people parking their 'vans on the cliff top road, and stay for just the one night, so as usual the old 90 / 10 rule still applies,
Not having a go at anyone, just stating the bleedin' obvious,
thanks
Joe
Spot on
Have a look at some of the pictures here I’ve screen grabbed !
Another YouTuber who thinks he can do as he wants ! ( Lukes Van life )
They set up full on camps in Carparks , beaches etc and get the awning , fire pit etc out and stay for days . This was in Cornwall . Really winds me up .
Note the arrogant side on parking so he has a sea view , don’t worry about anyone else who may want to park there !
I pointed out that I didn’t think this was right and also asked where they were emptying their toilet cassettes and was immediately banned from the channel 😂
5B771E5B-8484-4B33-9067-6D65166D3380.jpeg
815D0A62-891B-4BBE-B1C0-FB427832156A.jpeg

Last edited:

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I think some of these wilders like to look like travelers to intimidate anyone who objects to them stopping for ages.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Spot on
Have a look at some of the pictures here I’ve screen grabbed !
Another YouTuber who thinks he can do as he wants ! ( Lukes Van life )
They set up full on camps in Carparks , beaches etc and get the awning , fire pit etc out and stay for days . This was in Cornwall . Really winds me up .
Note the arrogant side on parking so he has a sea view , don’t worry about anyone else who may want to park there !
I pointed out that I didn’t think this was right and also asked where they were emptying their toilet cassettes and was immediately banned from the channel 😂View attachment 634659View attachment 634660
Deck chair is okay and maybe a bbq when you are somewhere, people in cars also do this don’t forget. Setting up camp is different though

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Just move a distance from your van. Then folk will think you are with the other cars. Of course if your the only one there no problem.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I lived in my self built van(s) (no windows) on the streets in Blighty for over twenty years but then my income came from street performing so a bit different from you two!

Full time in a van and earning a living doing street shows blended well.

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back