When is it time to say enough? Or not? (1 Viewer)

elaineteresa

Free Member
Apr 10, 2018
Funster No
So my 20 yr old Bessacarr is once again in the garage for yet another expensive repair. This year has been bad - and that is without Covid! Trouble is, I want to keep her going. She suits me. She is bloody awful to drive, slow and clunky. The water pump sounds likes it is coming apart. There is always one pipe or another leaking. A screw always comes loses in the interior. But I am a solo camper and I don't really want anything bigger. The shower works, she keeps me warm in the cold and comfy at night. The fridge is fab and I can cook a decent meal. There is no damp! She starts first time and she is not too thirsty. I have looked at a couple of slightly more modern motor homes but have not really seen anything I like. I don't want anything bigger in size because I can still get through towns and park in a normal car park. (I don't know how some of the huge new ones manage!) But she just seems to be a money pit at the mo. I cannot avoid getting her fixed because I would only get scrap value, or a bit more if I am lucky. I cannot really afford a van that would suit me. Does anyone else have this quandary? When she is back on the road, do I sell her and give up camping? Or do I just bite the bullet and keep her going as long as I can? I have been on some great trips with her. I do not want to give up that lifestyle especially as retirement is not too far off! I just wondered what experiences people have had in a similar situation?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
IMHO giving up is not an option unless health makes it no choice.... to change your van is likely to cost you £10K on top of your van just to tread water,

so how much time with your most loved van will £10k give you?

and you probably wont need 10K all at once and the on going maintenance costs of some electronioc wizzardry

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
If it suits in every way except the repair bills I would be thinking of getting a cost to replace the pipework and pump and maybe refit the interior panels with a little pva wood glue and new screws.
It is IMV the unexpected breakdowns and bills that bring the questioning of whether to change but it sounds like you are more than happy with the majority of it so I would be keeping it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
as above but get any repairs done properly not just bodged up to keep you on the road, yes it may cost more but you will enjoy it for a longer period,

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
agree with the above. Ours is no spring chicken and we did look at replacing it. None seemed to be as right as the one we had.
We were so impressed with the guy that did our habitation checks that even though he has moved companies he has agreed to keep the van up to scratch.
I suppose I’m saying find a good Motorhome chap and ask him to do an in depth check so you will know just what is becoming dodgy.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Elaineteresa

I am sorry you have had so many repairs. Our Arto is now 17 years-old so maybe we are coming up to repair time. Except for consumables, which I include cam belts as, we have only had a radiator at 15 years and an oil pressure sensor.

I was banking on another 10 years, if we do not change it for something newer with an island bed and two garage doors. New Morelos seem popular this year. :LOL:

Your repairs might be less than depreciation on a newr MH, so keeping it might not be so expensive.

Keep going.

Geoff

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Imho you pay either for depreciation or repairs!!!

In the middle to end up paying for both....

Normally finances lead you to one or the other....

If it suits then keep it.

The high prices of campers would make a repair the cheaper option I would have thought? unless it's falling apart in the habitation department??

Cheers James

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I went through exactly the same experience as you. I had a CRV Dreamliner and every year we would meet unexpected people who fixed her up in more countries than I can now recall. My wife constantly telling me it was time to part company. I struggled on until the year it would not start in Spain and once moving called breakdown people who would not help if I was able to move, then the brakes failed. Moving again, had to be push started from a lay-by. Then the alternator died in France. Moving again in time for the clutch to fail as I got home. Clutch cost almost as much as I got for the sale.
Bought a Peugeot Auto-Sleeper and apart from a leaking pipe behind a bathroom wall, it never gave a moments trouble for the years I kept her and Motorhoming became a travelling joy.
This was 15 years ago and the Dreamliner is still touring and taxed according to YouGov.
SELL!

OP
OP
elaineteresa

elaineteresa

Free Member
Apr 10, 2018
Funster No
Thank you all for your comments. It is true. I do love her. And I must agree with expensive new motorhomes generating expensive repairs! I will keep her going for now - unless I win a large amount of dosh 😂. So,I have a big lump of metal in my boot that I am taking up to Bristol tomorrow in the hope that it can be restored to a working gearbox! Happy Trails everyone ☺️

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Isn't repairs , maintenance and doing upgrades half the fun....it is for me....but then i always like to try repairing things myself if possible.. it also gives you important lessons in how things on the van actually work..

Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
I have had this thought.

Last years MOT was nearly 2K on my 15yr old. Repairs plus some improvements. I now think about how much I’ve spent on her and should I get rid but everything fixed is one less thing to worry about. One cost hopefully not needed again.

As others have said depreciation on new isn’t little and 2nd hand is unknown (think I inherited a lot of issues with mine being 2nd hand 5 years ago) but now I know Her inside and out and you can’t beat that knowledge.

I’ve spent time and money improving her to how I want her as I guess you have so why throw that all away starting again with another van.

I’ve friends with new caravans and Motorhomes. Issues they’ve had with new puts me right off. Bits fell off the caravan on its journey from dealer to home.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
This man is an expert on your type of gearbox and very approachable for advice over the phone tho he does keep busy!
Link Removed
Having once met this man in Chard, Somerset I think, I can vouch for his interest and knowledge of everything Duccato. He sometimes has parts manufactured if they are unobtainable.

Sep 3, 2017
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E625
Exp
MH since 2016, caravanning since 1984
I have been a Caravanner and then a Motorhomer with my wife for many years, but last year became a widower. The thought of travelling and staying on a site without my partner does not appeal, and eating out alone is out of the question. This is why I have become a pretty good cook!
My Motorhome is a 22 year old Bessacarr which I have updated with Reversing Camera, GPS, Solar Panels, LED lighting, etc. I am looking forward to meeting other single motorhomers but as I live on the Isle of Wight, it becomes expensive to travel to the “North Island” for short stays away. With the present Covoid 19 restrictions on meeting others and social distancing, what sites are available to us in the South of England where a few of us could get together?
Bessacarr Motorhomes are well built and the practicalities with the storage space and the fact that they hold their value probably means that it is best to keep the devil you know rather than have the probable faults that you would find on a newer model.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We spent a fortune getting rid of the rust on our van conversion because we thought it was the perfect van for us. The size and layout was great so we thought it was worth spending money on it.
Twelve months later more rust appeared and the MOT showed up major problems on the way.
We we’re heading towards retirement and hopefully more time away. Any money spent on more repairs would reduce our travelling budget so we had to make the decision to call it a day.
I was told about a couple of coach builds that a caravan dealer was selling as part of a trade in so I decided to look at them.
They offered us book price for the van even with the advisories on the MOT. We went home and had a think and added up our finances over Christmas. It didn’t make sense to keep the van and spend money on it. Also the coach build would extend our time away into the winter being better insulated and a more up to date heater.
It was a hard decision but not something we regretted in the end. It will depend on personal circumstances and what you are prepared to spend on repairs or a replacement.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I think along with mechanical breakdowns you have too face either damp coach builds or rusty pvc's.

I'd look at continental coach builds which seem to be better built hymer / Adria etc.

Also in terms of pvc galvanised bodies do better for rust so crafters ducatos movanos are galvanised so much less likely to rust.

Cheers James

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Motorhoming is more a way of life.. If all the jobs and projects are done and dusted there is always something to do on the van
It has certainly earned its keep this year keeping me sane... Yep, cost a few shillings along the way, but if I did not spend it on the van then I would find another hobby to spend lolly on !

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
I love my MH, it is 17 yrs young, I have always done my own repairs and servicing except for a clutch replacement (cost me £305 in April this year) and cam belt change (last done Sept 2019 for £200) fitted allsorts to it including 4G Wifi, satellite and a 3kw generator. Love wild camping. i probably could not afford an equvalent new model and I have gotten to know all the quirks with this one. As other guys have said always something to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back