When does a 3 data sim expire (1 Viewer)

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Possibly a daft question. I fitted a 12 month data sim in my mi-fi last year. I know it will expire 12 months after I started using it but did not note the date.
Can you find out the expiry data from my3 or the mobile app?
If I purchase a new one can it be started when in Spain or do you have to use it in the U.K. first?
Please help with either or both questions.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Generally, if you attatch the sim in a mifi or other device by usb cable to a laptop you can use a browser to navigate to it and see the dates and data used.

I've never used one abroad yet but have noticed a lot of threads saying you need to use them in the UK first but I dare say it depends on the T&C of individual sims and the Company supplying them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JohnH

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Many thanks for the replies I have tried them all and the information given is only the amount of data used either collectively or during the last session.
I used the mi-fi this morning for the first time in nearly six months so it did not seem to need being used 3 monthly, I think this might be the case with phone sims though.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
If you go into the 3 website and go to My 3 you will be able to check your data and expiry date. I believe a sim has to be started in the uk first.

I bought a second 3 sim card a few months back and inititated it without a problem in Spain last month when the first was exhausted. ISTR reading somewhere that more recent purchases may need starting in UK, though....

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
I have been thinking for some time about going down the route of a mifi and these 3sim cards. However, it doesn’t seem right that they have to be started whilst in the U.K. for them to work abroad. If you bought two it would seem reasonable that you didn’t start using the second one until the first one had expired (data or time wise) which could be when you are already abroad. I have not, as yet, looked at the terms and conditions.
At present we have an IBoost and try to log into Fon when away, although we rarely seem to get a strong enough signal to be able to connect. Hence the consideration of a mifi unit.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You don’t need to be in UK at first use we have been using them for four or five years now and I always have a spare just in case and have started using in Europe without problem.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Many thanks for the replies I have tried them all and the information given is only the amount of data used either collectively or during the last session.

That sounds like it's the web interface of the MiFi device, rather than Three. If you navigate to www.three.co.uk via a connection made from the MiFi/SIM you can click on 'Login' top right without having to provide any login credentials. You will be taken to your account page, where you can click 'Data Allowance' to see the screen below. There is no 'session' information, which is why it sounds like you're looking at the MiFi's page rather than Three's page.

topup.jpg

I have been thinking for some time about going down the route of a mifi and these 3sim cards. However, it doesn’t seem right that they have to be started whilst in the U.K. for them to work abroad. If you bought two it would seem reasonable that you didn’t start using the second one until the first one had expired (data or time wise) which could be when you are already abroad. I have not, as yet, looked at the terms and conditions.

The terms and conditions do state they should be used in the UK before going abroad, but that is something Three cannot yet enforce - although they would like to.

OP
OP
JohnH

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Thanks all, particularly Addie who pointed me in the right direction. Warning to iPad users. I tried many times as Addie said and had to enter details to log in which proved difficult. In desperation I used Opera Mini instead of Safari and it worked exactly as described.
I like my iPad but sometimes they work in a very unique manner.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You used to be able to stsrt using them when outside the UK, but the last 2 I bought stated that they must be used first in the UK. Whether that is correct or not I do not know because I was not willing to be stranded without them so started both in the UK before I left for Europe.

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
My last one i started in france no problem.last month

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
That sounds like it's the web interface of the MiFi device, rather than Three. If you navigate to www.three.co.uk via a connection made from the MiFi/SIM you can click on 'Login' top right without having to provide any login credentials. You will be taken to your account page, where you can click 'Data Allowance' to see the screen below. There is no 'session' information, which is why it sounds like you're looking at the MiFi's page rather than Three's page.

topup.jpg

The terms and conditions do state they should be used in the UK before going abroad, but that is something Three cannot yet enforce - although they would like to.
Very useful info thanks- I had exactly the same queries as JohnH!

And with your guidance I've located the info required. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back