Wheel clamp advice needed (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I bought one of these big orange things because I wanted a visible deterrent during the then likely lockdown.
<Broken link removed>
I already have an alarm and a tracker but thought there was no harm in adding something visible as well. I know it will not stop the determined but hopefully it makes my motorhome look a little less easy than others in the storage area. It was very tight getting it to fit over my 225/75R16 tyres but the bits in contact with my alloy wheel are soft rubber and padded.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi Kev, I'm not clear how the Milenco wheel clamp works for wheel trims that cover the locking nuts? Online video not clear either. Can you put the location bar through the wheel holes? Thanks, Graham
Hi Graham.

The Millenco one in the video and the one we are the same. If you have plastic wheel trims with Moulded nuts you have a couple of bigger Wheel nut cups. Look at the picture attached
1586179962250.png

If the plastic wheel trim will come off easily enough ...just remove it and fit as in the video .
What it does is that it fits over the wheel nut and then you wind the clamp tight onto the wheel. On the inside the slightly bent looking part sits inside the wheel and prevents it from turning. Tighten up and push the locking handle back into place and its done

Kev

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Don't think they would nick mine not valuable enough -good deterent ( self built ) --got Disklok/door dead locks. Anyone want an Apache sold secure wheel clamp ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Whatever you are considering to buy.

Do a search on its name in Youtube -

If there is a simple or difficult way round them I would be surprised if it is not documented on Youtube. (y)

Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Sorry for digging this up, we are still waiting to collect our first MH and I’m not sure what to do regarding security. Ours has an alarm and a I’m sure it has a tracker too.

At home, it’ll be on the drive blocked in by a car, covered by 3 cctv cameras.

Is it common practice to clamp a wheel when you’re pitched up somewhere, whether it be wild camping or at a site?
I can’t decide whether it’d act as a deterrent, or make potential thieves think it’s unoccupied and then break in to find us snoring our faces off inside...

Any other security recommendations would be appreciated as I’m sure there are things I haven’t considered

Thanks 🙂

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry for digging this up, we are still waiting to collect our first MH and I’m not sure what to do regarding security. Ours has an alarm and a I’m sure it has a tracker too.

At home, it’ll be on the drive blocked in by a car, covered by 3 cctv cameras.

Is it common practice to clamp a wheel when you’re pitched up somewhere, whether it be wild camping or at a site?
I can’t decide whether it’d act as a deterrent, or make potential thieves think it’s unoccupied and then break in to find us snoring our faces off inside...

Any other security recommendations would be appreciated as I’m sure there are things I haven’t considered

Thanks 🙂
I used a clamp when in it was in storage during the lockdown. I don’t use one whilst touring. I would certainly not use one whilst wilding, I like to be ready for a speedy departure if circumstances change.

If it has an insurance approved tracker you will need to sign up with the tracker monitoring company to get the full benefit.

Deleted User
Not a fan of wheel clamps. The modern 24v battery operated grinder would take a wheel lock off in minutes.
I use a length of plastic covered wire as in bike security, threaded through the front door handles and over the steering wheel. Then padlocked. On attempting to enter via either front doors, opens about an inch and the pressure pushes on the steering wheel setting off the horn.Of course I enter through the side door, which has an extra lock on. I like the idea of turning the drivers seat round and padlocking in place. Will investigate if I can do this to my Ducato based Dethleffs.
Another reasonable priced deterrent is to etch all the windows with the registration number.A cost to the thief of over £1500 to replace that lot. Would also give the heads up to the supplier as to why someone would want to replace all the windows.
The easiest by far, way to enter a van is through a window. Wrecks the window, but at about £300 to replace against the cost of the van is a minor inconvenience for a determined thief.
I am surprised though that there are no statistics to be found for theft of such vehicles. Call me cynical, but wouldn't be in the interest of insurance companies to reveal how low the number would be. Same for people selling security devices. I think, again with no facts to base this on. That caravans are stolen at least 5 times the number of motorhomes. A lot of them by travellers.

GrahamCardiff

Free Member
Jul 24, 2019
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
PVC Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2018
Interesting suggestions, thank you. Re: your last point, how do you know a lot of caravans are stolen by travellers? Is there any evidence for this statement?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I am surprised though that there are no statistics to be found for theft of such vehicles. Call me cynical, but wouldn't be in the interest of insurance companies to reveal how low the number would be. Same for people selling security devices. I think, again with no facts to base this on. That caravans are

Bearing in mind the volume of security threads/posts on this social media site alone, I've occasionally commented on what the statistics are for motorhome theft - as you point out, none seem to be available

Could it be that all the additional security measures are there to give the owners piece of mind? If that's the case, then I'm fine with it

GrahamCardiff

Free Member
Jul 24, 2019
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
PVC Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2018
I agree Nasher. I'm aware that a steering lock and wheel clamp won't deter a determined and organised thief (not much will, tbh) but it should deter opportunistic thieves.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I put a wheel clamp on for lockdown whilst in storage. I have no illusions that it would defeat the determined, I just wanted something visible that might make my motorhome look a little more difficult than others in the yard.

Deleted User
For Graham at Cardiff.
Regarding knowledge of travellers light fingers. Ex Plod for 30 years and have friends still working, also several Old bill subscription magazines etc
Re the window etching, only works on glass, so for me 2 1/4 side windows on the doors and the 2 main door windows, plus the windscreen so 5 in all.

Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
For Graham at Cardiff.
Regarding knowledge of travellers light fingers. Ex Plod for 30 years and have friends still working, also several Old bill subscription magazines etc
Re the window etching, only works on glass, so for me 2 1/4 side windows on the doors and the 2 main door windows, plus the windscreen so 5 in all.
Hi do you know where I can get this done? I’ve not heard of it before but remember cars in the 90s having them

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
On the drive alarm , tracker, 2 security posts, steering wheel and wheel lock . Plus if cars are at home then it’s jammed in anyway . Away - if I’m away from it the visible deterrents go on. And if I’m in it then so are these .....

Attachments

• 72CD4A49-D249-4B6D-8303-D9AB8A169108.jpeg
    72CD4A49-D249-4B6D-8303-D9AB8A169108.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 8

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread