What gearbox do i have ? 2001 peugeot boxer drifter 390 2.5td (1 Viewer)

Pug boxer

Free Member
May 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer 390
Hello people , hope you are all good and well . I was after a bit of help if possible . I am having a bit of trouble with my gearbox . It's the usual problem with it popping out of 5th gear and also crunching when I change into 3rd gear . After doing a bit of research I realised the 5th gear could be changed without removing the gearbox ( great stuff) so I bought the 2 cogs for 5th gear which were 53/38 apparently longer 5th gear for my van from a 2.8 , however after giving these to the mechanic to fit he told me these where the wrong ones as they didn't look like they were interlocking enough , Äşong story guys sorry . The guy who I bought them off is adamant that these are correct . After all the messing around I'm actually looking to take the van elsewhere and have it either reconditioned or buy another box and have that fitted . Problem is I don't know what box to look for as there seems to be a few different ones for that van , I've had the mechanic look but he said he couldn't see a code (couldn't be assed more like) sorry for the rant , any help would be greatly appreciated đź‘Ť

Screenshot_20240503-182959_WhatsApp.jpg

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Might be an idea to take the vin number from your log book and info from the engine plate and year of van, then ring around a few gearbox reconditioning firms they may advise. Obviously beware of those who just want to sell you a box. If it crunches going into 3rd the fi the gear repair will only delay the inevitable. When the van is warm on a clear road when going from 2nd to 3rd double de clutch on the way to give the cogs a chance to slow down. If that results in no crunch it’s hopefully just the synchro worn. Check the free travel of the clutch pedal you should start to feel pressure whilst the pedal is still high, if you dont feel it till nearly at the bottom I would have the clutch changed whilst the box is out?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Pug boxer

Free Member
May 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer 390
Might be an idea to take the vin number from your log book and info from the engine plate and year of van, then ring around a few gearbox reconditioning firms they may advise. Obviously beware of those who just want to sell you a box. If it crunches going into 3rd the fi the gear repair will only delay the inevitable. When the van is warm on a clear road when going from 2nd to 3rd double de clutch on the way to give the cogs a chance to slow down. If that results in no crunch it’s hopefully just the synchro worn. Check the free travel of the clutch pedal you should start to feel pressure whilst the pedal is still high, if you dont feel it till nearly at the bottom I would have the clutch changed whilst the box is out?
Yes I've noticed if I put the clutch in and have a slight delay before changing into 3rd the crunch usually dosent happen , thank you for your reply , I've took the vin numbers and looking into a few garages , I think a new clutch is a good idea while the box is out , kill 2 birds with 1 stone as they say . The ks again for your help much appreciated đź‘Ť

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back