What do people need to know about wild camping? (1 Viewer)

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I do the same, check out my maps on my blog for NT places to park larger motorhomes. Makes us a bit nerdy but who cares ?

unless you are an insomniac it’s also a bit late to be posting!

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
I looked at the first video and think it is really well edited . If pubs are your thing it’s a great resource. Perhaps just keep away from using ‘wild’ in the title as it grates with the true wilders. Your style is relaxed and informative so well done

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Ignore the negative postings. I thought they were well produced and presented. Just what i'd be looking for....A review of the pub and what the nearby walks, countryside and local attractions are like. Give us some more.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Pub reviews of places we can overnight! Oh and do they show Rugby and can we take dogs! backward establishments that refuse dogs shouldn't appear as no one in their right mind would frequent a pub with a "no dogs" policy

Would they! ;)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I like pubs, I like wild (free) pitches, I use pubstops all the time, your resource sounds like a good bolt on to pubstops, you’ve got some way to go though as there’s hundreds on pubstops, good luck with your project (y)

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
I looked at the first video and think it is really well edited . If pubs are your thing it’s a great resource. Perhaps just keep away from using ‘wild’ in the title as it grates with the true wilders. Your style is relaxed and informative so well done
Thank you, I'll edit it now

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I would like to show places you can go to that's free to park, safe, and great food and drink, with an option to see the area before heading off to the next stop
That sounds great, and if it's a hobby as well then what's not to like!
Hoping to find time to watch your videos this afternoon.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'd welcome a guide that included pubs with good vegetarian food (is that an oxymoron?). I'm not, but my regular travelling partner is a veggie. It would be wonderful if she never again has to choose between tasteless butternut squash soup, Caesar salad, sloppy lentil ragu or dried up veggie moussaka. Most pubs seem to put veggie food on the menu as a afterthought, like the web advert for a pub I saw recently which ended (in this order):

Ample parking
Disabled facilities
Children's high chairs
Dog friendly
Vegetarians welcome.

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'd welcome a guide that included pubs with good vegetarian food (is that an oxymoron?). I'm not, but my regular travelling partner is a veggie. It would be wonderful if she never again has to choose between tasteless butternut squash soup, Caesar salad, sloppy lentil ragu or dried up veggie moussaka. Most pubs seem to put veggie food on the menu as a afterthought, like the web advert for a pub I saw recently which ended (in this order):

Ample parking
Disabled facilities
Children's high chairs
Dog friendly
Vegetarians welcome.
That's great info, thank you. I'll put that info in for my next videos

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013

Ample parking
Disabled facilities
Children's high chairs
Dog friendly
Vegetarians welcome.
Oh I'm so with your travelling partner! How many times have I had to ask for "a nice plate of steamed veg" as there was no other tempting option!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I watch a lot of this stuff on YouTube and there is loads of it, and always admire someone that takes time and patience to produce the videos and I do appreciate it.... my experience of this forum is that female posters will always get a good response and if they are young and good looking in videos, is always a bonus ?

however, more info on the motorhome parking and facilities of the places that you stay at would be good.
I’m going to get shot down for this but as much as I like dogs I wouldn’t want to visit a pub where dogs are climbing all over the seats and slobbering over the table where I’m eating or going to eat so your videos are a good source for me on what pubs to avoid..?

keep up the video blogs though I do enjoy watching them..?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Oh I'm so with your travelling partner! How many times have I had to ask for "a nice plate of steamed veg" as there was no other tempting option!
Yep, just this weekend three of us ate at our fairly regular restaurant The (lovely people) Red Lion at Soham (Cambs) for £120 with desserts and glass of house wine each. Wonderful meat and fish menu but the veggie choice between 'Smoky spiced beans with grilled aubergine and tzatziki' or 'Spinach and goat’s cheese frittata and green salad' wasn't much of a choice on a miserable wet windy cold evening. Luckily the smoky spiced beans were 'fine' as it does tend to rather spoil eating out for me when her veggie menu/food is poor.
I'm nipping over to Brittany for a few days seafood indulgence whilst it's still scallop season but on my own as the French don't do veggie very well at all. Shame.

Reactions: CWH
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm parking in and around pubs, so I'm filming the pub and then walks and activities. Would you mind having a look at my videos and giving me feedback please? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5kw-AldsCxxNis0CZCfAIw
Just looked at your first video and glad to see that you enjoyed your nectar of the Gods ........... from Harveys of Lewes, my favourite brewery. My favourite is the Old in the winter and the Best Bitter is the summer.

Chipsted is not far from us, so I am going to try the Bricklayers. Without the motorhome though.

Will you marry me?
Ignore him, he is happily married to Jackie who will kill him if she finds out

Keep the good work up. Looking for some more reviews.

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just looked at your first video and glad to see that you enjoyed your nectar of the Gods ........... from Harveys of Lewes, my favourite brewery. My favourite is the Old in the winter and the Best Bitter is the summer.

Chipsted is not far from us, so I am going to try the Bricklayers. Without the motorhome though.

Ignore him, he is happily married to Jackie who will kill him if she finds out

Keep the good work up. Looking for some more reviews.
Please let me know what you think of it, I had such a wonderful night there. ?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I’ve just watched your first video. I like it well done. Keep them coming.
Thanks.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hankandmarvin You are really trying to reinvent the wheel. What you are doing replicates the work of britstops and pubstopovers, who both have searchable maps and lists of pubs and other similar places that allow you to park up for the night when you buy a meal or use the business

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Really, I havn't seen videos from either of those
that bit is new, agreed. but both the other resources are well established and have been for a few years so far more stop overs listed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't understand? Freeloading?
I pay for my food and drinks and also entree to local national Trust parks... I'm confused
OK, you pay for food and drink as will any customer then you camp in the carpark for the night but don't expect, or presumably offer, to pay a fee.
Camping in a pub carpark is not 'wild' camping.
Wild camping, as the word implies, is camping in a remote, deserted area away from civilisation and facilities.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I don't share my spot's with anyone now that way i can usually go back and there untouched
bill

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
that bit is new, agreed. but both the other resources are well established and have been for a few years so far more stop overs listed
Good job I didn't have that attitude when thinking of starting a motorhome forum :D

If someone wants to make good videos of pubs, chat with the landlord, look at the menu and explore the local strolls from the pub. Then what's not to like.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
OK, you pay for food and drink as will any customer then you camp in the carpark for the night but don't expect, or presumably offer, to pay a fee.
Camping in a pub carpark is not 'wild' camping.
Wild camping, as the word implies, is camping in a remote, deserted area away from civilisation and facilities.

I've just written an article about this John so given it plenty of thought. Plenty of people use the term wild camping for anywhere not on a site, you might disagree, but there is no right or wrong.

Lots of people will say you are not camping in a motorhome. It's just perceptions, no one is right or wrong

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I've just written an article about this John. Plenty of people use the term wild camping for anywhere not on a site, you might disagree, but there is no right or wrong.
Totally agree.
My own interpretation of "wild camping" is quite different from Hankandmarvin but so what, just as long as we explain what we mean, which he has.
There's a FB group dedicated to off-gridding - I thought I knew what that was (in the same vein as wilding in the wild) but no, it's about using campsites with no EHU - not what I'd have thought but again, as long as the working definition is clear ...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've just written an article about this John so given it plenty of thought. Plenty of people use the term wild camping for anywhere not on a site, you might disagree, but there is no right or wrong.

Lots of people will say you are not camping in a motorhome. It's just perceptions, no one is right or wrong
They maybe do Jim, but it doesn't make it correct.
A better term would be free camping.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is wild camping John.

1583162427761.png