What can I do now? (1 Viewer)

vince-macca

Free Member
Jul 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt & Van
Exp
This is a bit long, Sorry. After taking my bumper off my Swift 644 after backing into a rock I noticed the rear panel of the van stopped short and did not protrude beyond the floor which meant all water ran down the panel and into the floor. This damp was not picked up on the 6 habitation checks I had at marquis of tewkesbury. Marquis removed rear panel and fitted one of carrect length i.e. extending 50mm past the floor. They did such a poor job that water now soaked the side wall and the van was returned to Swift in Hull. That was January and I still don't have it back. I only found out recently after two dates were agreed for pickup that the new panel that was ordered was damaged and therefore had to be reordered.
Then covid happened and the place that supplied the panel did not open till 1st September, so I wait. My question is the van would have been left uncharged and unmoved for several months, the not has expired, they managed to blast some paint off the wing and despite many emails they have not provided pictures of this. I feel so badly let down by Swift but what can I do. I have missed out on so many trips out and had to cancel holidays and I am worried that the van will have suffered being laid up. My last email was not even replied to. I want to engage a solicitor but I want one who knows the industry.... And I have not located one yet. What can I do... I feel so let down by Swift.

Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016
This is a bit long, Sorry. After taking my bumper off my Swift 644 after backing into a rock I noticed the rear panel of the van stopped short and did not protrude beyond the floor which meant all water ran down the panel and into the floor. This damp was not picked up on the 6 habitation checks I had at marquis of tewkesbury. Marquis removed rear panel and fitted one of carrect length i.e. extending 50mm past the floor. They did such a poor job that water now soaked the side wall and the van was returned to Swift in Hull. That was January and I still don't have it back. I only found out recently after two dates were agreed for pickup that the new panel that was ordered was damaged and therefore had to be reordered.
Then covid happened and the place that supplied the panel did not open till 1st September, so I wait. My question is the van would have been left uncharged and unmoved for several months, the not has expired, they managed to blast some paint off the wing and despite many emails they have not provided pictures of this. I feel so badly let down by Swift but what can I do. I have missed out on so many trips out and had to cancel holidays and I am worried that the van will have suffered being laid up. My last email was not even replied to. I want to engage a solicitor but I want one who knows the industry.... And I have not located one yet. What can I do... I feel so let down by Swift.
Trading standards? there is another thread on here about Marquis

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Trading standards? there is another thread on here about Marquis
This one?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016
This one?
That's it, thank you

OP
OP
V

vince-macca

Free Member
Jul 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt & Van
Exp
I would agree. Had no end of problems with Marquis. More often than not I have to do a repair myself. I have no faith in the habitation check which failed to pick up a rotten floor for Six years!!!. But my concern is with Swift. Citizens advice and other all say that I have to negotiate, but they don't seem to want to understand what I am going through... Hence the legal route seems the only way now open to me.

OP
OP
V

vince-macca

Free Member
Jul 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt & Van
Exp
I think you are right, but it is 200miles away and I have to take a day off work to do this.... So very much a last resort. Thanks

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
As Intokenny says Face to face is best, email them and give them 2 alternative dates close to each other for you to attend to see the workshop manager and a director. Tell them why you are attending and that the vehicle must be available for inspection. Do yourself an agenda or discussion points list, decide what you want to get out of the meeting, ie vehicle completed within 2 weeks, costs reimbursed, site fees for a long weekend on completion near Swift so you can make sure you can snag it before you go home. Be ready to negotiate but be firm and don’t lose Your temper, Swift have had all this before Too many times, so know how to handle you if you start shouting, be different, charm them firmly.
good luck

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The problem with Swift, IMV, and we have lots who work for them living around here, is that they have literally got too big, with too many fingers in all the pies, anything to do with "Caravans" from Statics to Motorhomes and even "Airstreams". You are up against the "corporates". By all means try talking to them face to face first. It might just work if you can get to the "right" person.

As I understand it though, your issue is not Swift but the seller. The seller has obligation to provide goods suitable for the purpose intended and to deal with any issues in a timely manner.

Best wishes.

OP
OP
V

vince-macca

Free Member
Jul 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt & Van
Exp
I see my problem with swift also. Two reasons. They must have known the panel was wrong and let it go out like that which is inexcusable and secondly they did not fit the body properly on the offside as they trapped the main wiring loom under the wall panel so it never sat properly on the floor as it should. Very poor build quality. I had to put so many things right myself e.g. re mastic the toilet and bathroom.... Would never buy a swift again.

Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016
I see my problem with swift also. Two reasons. They must have known the panel was wrong and let it go out like that which is inexcusable and secondly they did not fit the body properly on the offside as they trapped the main wiring loom under the wall panel so it never sat properly on the floor as it should. Very poor build quality. I had to put so many things right myself e.g. re mastic the toilet and bathroom.... Would never buy a swift again.
It's so sad when you pay out good money and get a crap goods and services in return, they deserve to go down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back