What Awning? (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2018
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar 5 Star
Exp
Since May2,000
You were all so good helping us sort out our shower tray. Thank you. So I thought I would ask another question.........
We still have our Lunar five star MH 07 plate and I would like to put an awning up but guess what?? Hubby is not very keen!! He says carrying an awning would go over our weight limit, I thought the pump up ones were lighter.
Has anyone any thoughts about the awning they bought? And how I persuade hubby. OR do I just go out and buy one?!!!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hello Oldbag2. I’ve always wanted to call someone that on here,thank you for giving me that opportunity! :ROFLMAO:

Know nothing about awnings,but hubby is right to be concerned about the weight.

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Your husband appears to be very aware of the weight you are carrying and the available payload which is a good thing . Either that or he is looking for an excuse not to have to put an awning up ! They aren’t called “
Divorce in a bag “ for nothing 😂.
The Air awnings aren’t much lighter really and sometimes actually heavier . Ours weights 25kg and takes about 15 mins to set up and take down . 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We've got a wind-out canopy. I've got some Lilypad Windblockers that I've yet to try. They weigh a couple of kg, fit in a carrier bag and should only take minutes to put up. But we've resisted getting a full awning. The reasoning being that it takes so long to set up and and take down that you're tied to one place. And then you may as well have got a caravan.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I never stop anywhere for long enough to make it worth the faff of carrying and putting up an awning (especially taking down and storing a sopping wet one when it's raining, as so often seems to be the case). However the setting up pantomime and associated heated domestic interactions do provide considerable entertainment for observers.
My son has one for his caravan but he stays on the same site for at least 4 days at a time.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a Kampa Motor Rally AIR Pro 260 XL it weighs 18.8 KG. Very easy to put up and has a bag to store it in but quite bulky.😊

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O
Sep 24, 2018
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar 5 Star
Exp
Since May2,000
Thank you All for your help. We did laugh at some of the replies🤣
Two reasons why I would like an awning; To take our very heavy but comfortable chairs outside, we have to lift half of the bed up and the same putting them back if it looks like rain.( I didn’t think of that when I persuaded hubby to let met part exchange our old MH for this one. He was in bed poorly at the time so he didn’t actually see it until I brought it home!!!)
I know what you’re all going to say..... buy lighter chairs!!!
The second reason is we could take our Grandchildren away with us, the older one sleeping in the awning.
Watch this space!!!!!

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
We’ve got a Fiamma awning fixed to the side of the MH. Its great in the wet or dry BUT does contribute to the overall weight of the vehicle.
For rallies etc we also have a Quest free-standing gazebo which is very easy to put up and can be left at home or taken away depending on where you are going and for how long
We have slept in it (it’s the 6 sided version) but I think that had something to do with The Amber Nectar…….

Upvote 0
Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
We've got a wind-out canopy. I've got some Lilypad Windblockers that I've yet to try. They weigh a couple of kg, fit in a carrier bag and should only take minutes to put up. But we've resisted getting a full awning. The reasoning being that it takes so long to set up and and take down that you're tied to one place. And then you may as well have got a caravan.
We tried ours out at Southport last week. Next time will also take a windbreak or is it breaker for the side / ends. Easy and quick to put up and take down.

Attachments

• 7B093AEF-E67A-4196-93BE-D8C0A3D340D3.jpeg
    7B093AEF-E67A-4196-93BE-D8C0A3D340D3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
We have an Outdoor Revolution drive away awning. It’s great if staying for more than a few days or if you need the extra room or protection.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
We've been pondering the same question all thro' the pandemic. Two reasons. a) We were planning to spend a couple of the colder months in Spain, probably on no more than two sites so the set-up time wasn't significant. b) Last time we were in Brittany we left our chairs outside overnight and they were stolen - first time we've had anything nicked in 30 years on campsites; we blame the conversion of most campsites to chalets and mobile homes which attract a different sort of crowd. If the chairs hadn't been visible I think we'd still have them.
Anyway, our research suggests that inflatable awnings are about twice the weight of the few pole-type awnings still on the market and a lot more expensive. Is it really that much more difficult to thread a couple of fibreglass poles through the "canvass"? Sadly it seems that inflatables are more fashionable so there are very few pole type ones available so not much choice. Outdoor Revolution seem to have a couple of good ones at prices that won't cause depression if "he who is never obeyed" decides you don't need it after all.
We are also disturbed by the number of second-hand awnings advertised as "only been used once"; waste of money or don't fit a new van? Don't know.
Talking of fitting, don't be misled when measuring the height of the awning rail - remember that your van might be up on ramps or on uneven ground so add a few inches to the min. height of awning you need.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Anyway, our research suggests that inflatable awnings are about twice the weight of the few pole-type awnings still on the market and a lot more expensive. Is it really that much more difficult to thread a couple of fibreglass poles through the "canvass"? Sadly it seems that inflatables are more fashionable so there are very few pole type ones available so not much choice. Outdoor Revolution seem to have a couple of good ones at prices that won't cause depression if "he who is never obeyed" decides you don't need it after all.
I think it often takes two people to get poles in. Not difficult, but it always seems to breed arguments.

Inflatables have the advantage that you can inflate it solo, so you only get frustrated, hot and flustered with yourself.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
The second reason is we could take our Grandchildren away with us, the older one sleeping in the awning.
Watch this space!!!!!
We have a vango Kela Tall weighs slightly more than our last awning but that was a large porch awning, no floor and no back, was nice for sleeping in when it was very warm though.
Eldest grandsons sleep in it when we take them away. 14,16,18 or if they misbehave one gets chucked in with papa and the other 2 have to put up with me, the threat, now they are older is enough. We get over some of the payload issue when we take them by John taking his car and me taking the motorhome.
We vary between spending a couple of nights and then moving on, so canopy out no awning, or up to 4 weeks at the same place. We tend to store the chairs under the van if the weather isn't too bad, although we do have a small garage. get everything you take with you and go over a weighbridge, that will let you know if you can manage the weight, in the worst case scenario, take the awning and leave hubby at home ;) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
O it takes about 5 minutes to set it up, but another 20 to get it all pegged out and a bit more to get the camp beds made up and sorted, worht t for being able to take the gang away with us.
Alternative would be a pup tent for the eldest or a quest pop up? much lighter, easily put up by one person ask Wendo55 no groundsheet but that is a bonus with more sites asking for those to be lifted daily, great place for the chairs and a camp bed would easily fit in.
editted to add I have a poled awning for Dobbie, separate groundsheet and I can erect it and dismantle it on my own, at least I can in the garden :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
We have a vango Kela Tall weighs slightly more than our last awning but that was a large porch awning, no floor and no back, was nice for sleeping in when it was very warm though.
Eldest grandsons sleep in it when we take them away. 14,16,18 or if they misbehave one gets chucked in with papa and the other 2 have to put up with me, the threat, now they are older is enough. We get over some of the payload issue when we take them by John taking his car and me taking the motorhome.
We vary between spending a couple of nights and then moving on, so canopy out no awning, or up to 4 weeks at the same place. We tend to store the chairs under the van if the weather isn't too bad, although we do have a small garage. get everything you take with you and go over a weighbridge, that will let you know if you can manage the weight, in the worst case scenario, take the awning and leave hubby at home ;) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
O it takes about 5 minutes to set it up, but another 20 to get it all pegged out and a bit more to get the camp beds made up and sorted, worht t for being able to take the gang away with us.
Alternative would be a pup tent for the eldest or a quest pop up? much lighter, easily put up by one person ask Wendo55 no groundsheet but that is a bonus with more sites asking for those to be lifted daily, great place for the chairs and a camp bed would easily fit in.
editted to add I have a poled awning for Dobbie, separate groundsheet and I can erect it and dismantle it on my own, at least I can in the garden :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
We have a Vango Galli 3 tall. Great bit of kit , okay to erect ( ooh err matron) but we only use it when away for a week or more . Its still quite a heavy thing when packed and getting it back into its bag involves sitting, laying on it and grunting. ( ooh err again)
Also , NEVER TRY ROLLING IT UP WITH A BROOM STILL INSIDE….because I believe some idiot did this and it broke the broom which ripped the carpet lining…
32AB7090-705B-4099-9D0F-9A4CC0F04E49.jpeg
32AB7090-705B-4099-9D0F-9A4CC0F04E49.jpeg
1042D1D2-EAD7-4E8E-A899-25E1C0AACBFB.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O
Sep 24, 2018
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar 5 Star
Exp
Since May2,000
Thank you All for your help and advice. I still haven’t managed to persuade his lordship but I’m working on it!!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back