What are the "must have"extras (1 Viewer)

axecroft

Free Member
Oct 23, 2017
Funster No
I am new to the forum and to motorhoming. I am thinking of buying a Carthago C or E Line, preferably one year oldish with a budget of £100K or so. The specifications are mind boggling to a newcomer, and I am frightened that I buy something then realise there is some important bit of equipment that I don't have.
I realise there is always a compromise with these things but I would be interested to know what would be the "must haves" on the shopping list of someone with experience.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Good advice to buy a cheaper van first to see how you like it.

My top of the list must buy is refillable gas bottles,best thing I have added to our motorhome!:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I guess you are talking about factory fitted options/spec rather than stuff that can be fitted afterwords.

Martin

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I am new to the forum and to motorhoming. I am thinking of buying a Carthago C or E Line, preferably one year oldish with a budget of £100K or so. The specifications are mind boggling to a newcomer, and I am frightened that I buy something then realise there is some important bit of equipment that I don't have.
I realise there is always a compromise with these things but I would be interested to know what would be the "must haves" on the shopping list of someone with experience.

Good hunting for your van.
We presently own a Carthago C line and if that is the Manufacture and model that you are looking to buy may I suggest you look at the various optional extras available from new.

Carthago are a bit like the German car makers. You list what extras you want from order.

So by looking at the option list you may identify what you would like on the used van. It would then be a case of waiting to see what then comes in.
You would then look at what practical items are added to the van yourself, as mentioned refillable gas bottles, nice to have but not essential for original purchase and can be added post purchase, this can also apply to solar panel.

It is a case of finding your used vehicle use it and spend more after.

Hope this helps

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
I would not want to be without a solar panel, it gives you so much more flexibility whether you want to park in a quieter spot on the campsite or high may not be near the hook ups or wild camp.

Also if Moho is unused for anytime the batteries are topped including the engine one so it should always start.

Paul

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Welcome to Fun.
As a Carthago owner I can thoroughly recommend the vehicles but like all motorhomes there are some things to be aware of.
The big problem with many motorhomes is weight and payload.
Many motorhomes are built to keep under the 3.5 tonnes limit. Anything above requires a C1 licence and is subject to additional rules and speed limits. This is an area you need to pay attention to.
Carthago's are light and well built but to keep within the magic 3.5 tonne limit and incorporate the many 'goodies' we all want is difficult. If you are able, ie. have the required licence plus finance, I would recommend going for a heavy chassis version at 4.25/4.5 tonnes. That will give you lots of options and still allow you to stock up on booze when returning home from France.
When discussing weight beware of salesmen speaking with forked tongues. ;)

Richard.
PS. £15 spent in joining Fun will repay itself many times over. You can ask as many questions as you want rather than just 5 posts as a guest.

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
In my book :-

TV ariel
Heavy chassis if it’s a Rapido = extra payload
Quality leather seats
Solar panel
Extra leisure battery
Awning
external bbq point
Extra internal 240v sockets
Gas it / Gaslow

OP
OP
A

axecroft

Free Member
Oct 23, 2017
Funster No
I had not considered what could or could not be fitted after purchase. Maybe the question should have been "are there any extras that you cannot retro fit".
I do have a Carthago price list but found it difficult to discern what was needed, as everything seems desirable. This was one of the reasons I thought I should buy used, hoping that the first owner had made all the right choices??

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
If spending over £100k and selling after a year, the chances are they have not made the right choices. :)
Gas - you do not want to be faffing about with bottles
Extra battery/ solar - you want the luxury of using your van without being stuck on a site.
Awning - essential when abroad
External gas point - gas BBQ
External shower - there is always something to wash whether summer or winter
Satellite dish - TVs at the press of a button
Everything can be added later and dealers are keener to add extras than to give discounts so use that to your advantage.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Axecroft, welcome to the fun house.

Out of interest, as you've never had a MH before, what's made you look for a Carthago? I appreciate it's your choice but it seems a heck of a big jump in the 'deep end' price wise if you're not totally sure of what you want/need.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A suitable payload for your needs.

I'd agree with solar panel - also make sure you have a battery type and capacity that is suited to living without mains electricity for a reasonable amount of time.

A smart solar charging system suitable for your type of battery, and one that will switch the top up charge between leisure and engine batteries.

Refillable gas bottle with external filling cap, ie mounted in the exterior wall of the vehicle, not hidden behind a locker door.

Enough power sockets 230v/12v/USB around the interior to suit your needs.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you have 100k to splash out on your first m/h you probably have the cash to spend on a few extras if you want them later so don't worry go for it and get the things you find you want later.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I had not considered what could or could not be fitted after purchase. Maybe the question should have been "are there any extras that you cannot retro fit".
I do have a Carthago price list but found it difficult to discern what was needed, as everything seems desirable. This was one of the reasons I thought I should buy used, hoping that the first owner had made all the right choices??

Desirable but not necessary needed, almost anything you desire can be added aftermarket providing you have (a) the payload and (b) the space to use the said payload. Be aware that any extras fitted will be subtracted from the payload when you buy ie payload 800kgs....solar panel fitted -50kgs...payload now 750kgs
Sales people are often economical when it comes to the truth on payload so do your homework and welcome to MHF;)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
If you are wanting a one year old model then the original owner can't have liked it much to have only given it one season before selling it at a loss.
Either they didn't like the life and didn't put much thought into it or the van performed vastly below expectation.
Most additions can be added after purchase, look at the list of options, should indicate if can be an after sale fit.
The only important one is the upgraded weight chasis to allow owner 4t and the engine to pull it.
If you don't you will have to work to keep the payload down, not impossible, or travel illegally, chance you won't get caught.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just in case it isn't clear the factory fitted options which would be uneconomical to retrofit are not too numerous. Off the top of my head they would be.

Automatic transmission
Cab A/C
Any chassis uprating to give a higher payload.
There might also be some internal Carthargo bits such as an oven which might be specified at the ordering stage and need the internal furniture in a particular design.

Virtually everything else, solar, refillable gas, external BBQ point, alarm, even cruise control etc can all be fitted later and frequently are.

I suspect, if you are buying from a dealer, a one year old vehicle won't be much cheaper than a new one so if having a particular specification is important then buying a new one might not cost you much more. In the UK the MH market isn't like the car market, second hand values remain quite high and I've been amazed at the prices folk pay on even quite old (20 years+) vehicles.

If you do decide to buy new you could potentially save a lot of money by buying from Europe. There have been a few threads on here about that being done.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Great answers here, but come on guys, while the imparting of good information and opinion is to be applauded, its not how it's done here ;)

The first couple of answers to a question like this should always involve pictures of corkscrews and fluffy handcuffs, only later getting on to the proper considered answers. Do remember we have a reputation to maintain. :D

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Great answers here, but come on guys, while the imparting of good information and opinion is to be applauded, its not how it's done here ;)

The first couple of answers to a question like this should always involve pictures of corkscrews and fluffy handcuffs, only later getting on to the proper considered answers. Do remember we have a reputation to maintain. :D
Sorry but Ibdnt consider the fluffy handcuffs as an extra.... I thought they just came with the van..:D2

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Out of interest, as you've never had a MH before, what's made you look for a Carthago?

It might impress the neighbours, if one has that sort of neighbours.

As others have hinted spending that amount of money on a whim seems a tad odd but there's nowt so queer as folk.

As for the original question has the OP any idea where he intends to travel and for what % of the year?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
:welco:
Personally I wouldn't go with refillable bottles but have a fixed tank fitted after buying.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Hi, I understand your dilemma.
The Carthago 'shopping list' is extensive to say the least!
If buying new from the factory you have the option of some of their packs, which will save some money and give you a lot of the essentials.
However, as for 'must haves' that would be difficult to do after build, I would suggest the following;
Obviously body work colour, you will have a choice of 3 colours.
Unless you specify it you will not get an oven and need to order the Tec tower.
Assuming you have the Alde heating system, make sure you order the heat exchanger, more than useful, particularly in the winter.
The chequred floor to the garage is worth having.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lots for you to get your teeth into already.

The 2 most important things are layout and payload. There are many different layouts available and that is because different people want different things form their motorhome. Make sure you look at lots of layouts from different makers otherwise you may make a very expensive mistake. You do not tell us what you are intending to use the motorhome for, how many people and pets will be travelling in it and what driving licence you have. All are important when making your choice.

As others have said when it comes to payload do not believe any figures you are given by the maker or the dealer. Insist on a weighbridge ticket to see what it actually weighs with all the extras on. Also make sure that the layout works for the number of people you are carrying and that they all have proper seatbelts. If you have kids will you still be able to use the lounge once they have gone to bed? Many a motorhome that sleeps 4 or 6 does not have seatbelts for them all!

If you got your driving licence after 1997 or if you are over 70 then you will be limited to driving motorhomes under 3.5T maximum weight, because you will not have a C1 licence. I doubt very much whether a fully loaded C liner will work at that weight, and an E liner certainly won't. You can get training and pass a test to get your C1 licence, but that will take more time and money.

Finally things which are difficult or expensive to add or change later include layout, size and power of engine, gearbox (auto or manual?) chassis size and weight capacity, type of heating and seating fabric.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Hi and welcome

If you are new to motorhoming then would it be better to hire one or buy a cheap one for 15 grand to start with, then if you like it you could always buy the expensive Carthago.
Bigger that get what you want ....... we bought out first van in March & essentials to me are
Satalitte tv ... we went for the one with internet but this is proving to be a mistake .... it is not suited to reci I g Intelsat 907 which is the one to receive some of the English free view channels in Spain

Self levelling system... best money I spent after a robot lawnmower

Alugas tank system

Solar panels .... as much as you can fit on

Lithium battery ... many would argue its expensive and not essential. We have 165amp hours all useable and only around 13kg

Inverter

Many usb and 12 sockets as you can fit

Fly screens

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If you are intending a lot of foreign touring LHD , length of touring ? is interior space sufficient for long term? and in case its not been mentioned Payload :) BTW Welcome

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back