Weigh Bridge (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2014
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2002
Hi anyone know of a weigh bridge in the Newcastle/Durham area that has the facility to weigh my Motorhome? I have checked Google but the ones listed seem to be scrap dealers.
Thanks.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008

Our local weighbridge is at the local authority refuse disposal/recycling centre. It offers a simple turn up, drive on, weigh anddone at no cost unless you want an official weighbridge ticket. They will simply write down the details from the weighbridge screen on the back of an envelope for free. Perhaps you may have the same option in your neck of the woods.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi anyone know of a weigh bridge in the Newcastle/Durham area that has the facility to weigh my Motorhome? I have checked Google but the ones listed seem to be scrap dealers.
Thanks.
Probably because they have weights and measure passed because they are buying and selling not just for own use. A lot of big scrap yards are not the muddy yards they used to be. Ride out and have a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Trading Standards in Gateshead used have one, shared by the local councils. From memory on the right as you approach the Tyne bridge in Gateshead. I think Elldis used to use the waste place at Annfield Plain, remember seeing some vans there a couple of years back. Check with trading standards weights and measures, they are responsible for them. There used to be one in Sunderland centre in Low Row, it was mainly used for weighing the horses from Vaux. Both Vaux and the bridge gone.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
When we wanted to weigh our MH we had to use a bit of lateral thinking...

Think of, Sand & Gravel , Scrap metal, Timber supplies, Agricultural Feed merchants Builders supplies etc. Anything that is carried loose on a lorry probably needs to be weighed.

Look in Yell (online Yellow Pages) Ring them up and ask if they have a weighbridge and if they don't , Do they know where there is one?

I did this and came up with a list of four or five around here in N. Cumbria and was able to drive the MH fully laden to three of them using just a couple of litres of diesel between them. They all (suprisingly?) gave the same weight.

The one I use now is a Forestry Products Co. in Penrith so they carry harvested timber, woodchip, mulch, animal bedding etc. They only charge me if I want a printed ticket.

Good Luck

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
FB_IMG_1645968328789.jpg

Stew just a bit of nostalgia, the brewery horses on the bridge in Sunderland.

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
There is one at the recycling site just off heighington lane in Newton Aycliffe. Maybe a bit far though.

Fortunately for me there is one across the road from my storage facility in bedlington that is privately owned by the storage site owners. You could ask them though
T James Storage ltd.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi again, we have also used a weighbridge near Newton Aycliffe.
Think it was at Stonegrave Aggregates Ltd. Aycliffe Quarry, Newton Aycliffe. DL5 6NB.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Nov 10, 2014
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks again for additional replies(y)

Detnor, I remember the Vaux's Dappled Grey horses well they were always of interest to people around Sunderland area.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
When we wanted to weigh our MH we had to use a bit of lateral thinking...

Think of, Sand & Gravel , Scrap metal, Timber supplies, Agricultural Feed merchants Builders supplies etc. Anything that is carried loose on a lorry probably needs to be weighed.

Look in Yell (online Yellow Pages) Ring them up and ask if they have a weighbridge and if they don't , Do they know where there is one?

I did this and came up with a list of four or five around here in N. Cumbria and was able to drive the MH fully laden to three of them using just a couple of litres of diesel between them. They all (suprisingly?) gave the same weight.

The one I use now is a Forestry Products Co. in Penrith so they carry harvested timber, woodchip, mulch, animal bedding etc. They only charge me if I want a printed ticket.

Good Luck
Is that Jenky’s yard?

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Thanks
We often stay at a CL (Clifton Dykes) and thought you meant the one on the A6, didn’t realise they had one on Haweswater, I knew they owned the truckstop and fuel station on there but didn’t know they had a weighbridge, I was working for Bulmans bulk literally over the road, might just call in on the start of our European tour.👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back