Water purification - do you bother? (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
I can feel a couple of long grooves (about 1cm wide) in the bottom of the fresh water tank that it's pretty hard to get the water out of when you're draining off.

I can't imagine that it's doing much good having stagnant water sitting in them between trips.

Is it enough just to flush the tank out a bit before the next proper refill - or do you bother with water purification tabs or something else?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Andy

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Tap water has chlorination which helps to protect the contents over time in a tank. But after several months of it being drained I put a small amount of Milton in the tank and fill it then flush that through all the pipes. My wife moans but one new tank of water and any effect is gone. We use the Brita filter jugs to keep our tea and drinking water fresh and free from all the chemicals that are introduced by different water companies.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We always flush the fresh tank before going away and always use Elsil added to the fresh tank on each fill up while away, not because we do not trust local water (well in the UK and and most of mainland Europe) but more because we don't want to take a chance of water related tummy upset spoiling our hard earned time and money from tank contamination. We use fresh water tank water for cooking and hot drinks but use bottled water for drinking. Some will say over the top but hardly a big money outlay or inconvenience so why take that chance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@sallylillian be careful about putting Milton in ... it has the reputation for 'eating' stainless steel boiler parts!

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
No....

In the two years of owning a Moho ... only ever swilled out with tap water .... (uk) and only about evey 2/3 mths or so... using my fill hose with a jet spray attached....

I drink the tank water cold from tap ( poured into a glass first.. of course! ) (y)

However, tank has never been left empty for any period ... and it's used 365 nowadays...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We usually empty our fresh water tank when we get home after a trip away so nothing is left 'festering' inside for weeks on end especially since we'd empty it anyway when putting more water in! We use the tank water for everything, although we occasionally drink it 'raw' we prefer fruit juice, other cold drinks etc, but still use it to brush teeth, rinse salad/veg etc and in all the years have never had any problems whatsoever with doing so - no jippy tummy or other nasties!

Before each trip we usually put some fresh water in and take the van for a run round to give it a good sloshing about in the tank to 'clean' it of any nasties then empty it out via the taps to flush the system out and fill.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks but its only a cap full, interesting as it is a baby bottle sterilizing fluid though!
... no stainless steel in baby bottles though ... well, not that I've ever seen. :D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Never bother, as said above the water company treats the water before you put it in and the tank sits in the dark so nothing grows in there "or not that I know of":LOL:

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As said when you fill up again it's going to get a good dose of chlorine but if your fussy soak up the residue with a microfibre towel. If you are going to do that you then need to do a full drain down as there will still be water in the pipes.
We do have a cheap Filtapack filter inline with the kitchen tap just to prevent a bad tasting cupper you sometimes get when different minerals in the water react with the plastic pipes & tank.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
We generally keep water in all the time and top up when convenient and use the water for everything exactly as at home.
For years we used the Aquatabs but now don't bother as it taints the taste slightly.
I do a white vinegar system clean once a year just as a system service to know it is like new again.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We generally keep water in all the time and top up when convenient and use the water for everything exactly as at home.
Not a good idea if you leave the van standing for days between use as chlorine concentration decays over about 3 -5 days.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just fill up and drive the tap water is all it needs.
In less you have contamination I wouldn't bother.
Never had a problem ether hear or on the contents
Bill

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Despite the actions of a certain U.K. agent we are still confident of our Nature Pure filter with the correct cartridge of which we have sufficient to see out our motorhoming days.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Not a good idea if you leave the van standing for days between use as chlorine concentration decays over about 3 -5 days.
Surely that is exactly what is happening at home while away for a week or more?
Leaving empty and damp I would have thought would be slightly more at risk of bacteria growth.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thanks but its only a cap full, interesting as it is a baby bottle sterilizing fluid though!
There's no stainless steel in babies bottles though is there?
We drink bottled water when away and tap water in the uk. The van ws second hand when we bought it and we don't know how well the water tank was treated.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Surely that is exactly what is happening at home while away for a week or more?
Leaving empty and damp I would have thought would be slightly more at risk of bacteria growth.
Do you take your drinking water from a tank at home?
My water at homes comes from the mains where supply is constantly replenished with freshly chlorinated water. :D

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Do you take your drinking water from a tank at home?
My water at homes comes from the mains where supply is constantly replenished with freshly chlorinated water. :D
No tank at home but the same water is standing in the pipes and according to your post will have the chlorine concentration decay over a few days. If this was important to its quality there would have been something published to say to run taps when returning from holidays.
I still cannot see how the MH water will deteriorate to a point of being undrinkable.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
No tank at home but the same water is standing in the pipes and according to your post will have the chlorine concentration decay over a few days. If this was important to its quality there would have been something published to say to run taps when returning from holidays.
I still cannot see how the MH water will deteriorate to a point of being undrinkable.
I thought every one ran the taps before using drinking water we always do every morning and defiantly after being away.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
When we had a narrowboat we fitted a Seagull IV and have done the same in the van. Have never bought bottled water.

Dave

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I thought every one ran the taps before using drinking water we always do every morning and defiantly after being away.
We don't and never thought about it after being away.
I suppose we are less worried than some as I met another motorhomer a couple of weeks ago that wouldn't even clean his teeth with the van water even though it was a new van.
Each to their own but after some of the water I have used in other countries the U.K. water has nothing to be afraid of as long as the storage is looked after.
One quirk I do have is always setting off with a full tank of water from home so I don't have to use other taps as often as I otherwise would as they do make me think that someone may have used the tap previously for something they shouldn't.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Always have a fullish tank when we leave home and all drinking water goes through a Filter jug

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We drink bottled water but wash food and clean teeth from the tank water. Never ever had any problems. Every now and again, about once a year I use the chemicals used for sterilising beer making equipment, leave it in a while, run it through all the taps and pipes and then flush out the system. When the van is not in use the water is always drained away. Can't remember the name of the stuff as we are away but it does not corrode stainless steel.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Pure water... using no electricity... very, very low running costs... filters last for 65,000 gallons.

Berkey Onboard Water Purification.

20170708_193108.jpg

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back