Water Ingress Transit mk8 sorted (3 Viewers)

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
bailey adamo 75-4dl
IMG_5726.jpeg
IMG_5723.jpeg
IMG_5655.jpeg
M would like to share a cheap but effective solution I have come up with for preventing issues associated with the uncontrolled run off of rainwater from the windscreen. See pics.

Item 1 Brain shield. This little plastic box stops water dropping onto the elec connector and the ECU underneath. Push fit onto existing studs.

Item 2- scuttle drain hose. This is a push fit on the scuttle drain spigot. Routes water to back of engine instead of dumping it over inner wing cladding, which leads to several issues.

Item-3 Scuttle drip tray. This directs water to the back of the engine instead of it cascading over the air filter and fuel injector. Push fit onto scuttle brackets. Performs similar function to rob drew tray but doesn’t restrict airflow at back of engine.

These items are cheap, easy to fit (no screws) and can be pulled off prior to having van serviced if you are worried about warranty. I have had them fitted for a couple of months now. Very effective.

Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
5W!b*ab3K#
View attachment 843159View attachment 843160View attachment 843162M would like to share a cheap but effective solution I have come up with for preventing issues associated with the uncontrolled run off of rainwater from the windscreen. See pics.

Item 1 Brain shield. This little plastic box stops water dropping onto the elec connector and the ECU underneath. Push fit onto existing studs.

Item 2- scuttle drain hose. This is a push fit on the scuttle drain spigot. Routes water to back of engine instead of dumping it over inner wing cladding, which leads to several issues.

Item-3 Scuttle drip tray. This directs water to the back of the engine instead of it cascading over the air filter and fuel injector. Push fit onto scuttle brackets. Performs similar function to rob drew tray but doesn’t restrict airflow at back of engine.

These items are cheap, easy to fit (no screws) and can be pulled off prior to having van serviced if you are worried about warranty. I have had them fitted for a couple of months now. Very effective.
What box did you use and is it normal PVC 12mm plumbing tube with the insert glued in to seal it?

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I have the Rob Drew tray and when my van went in for its MOT and service I asked the mechanic if it would cause any problems and he said it was fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
bailey adamo 75-4dl
What box did you use and is it normal PVC 12mm plumbing tube with the insert glued in to seal it?
I used an offcut of 63mm square drain pipe. Blanked the ends by cutting some pieces off the drain pipe and using solvent weld cement to weld them on. Two slits in back push over the scuttle brackets. Cut out top to let water in. Standard 15mm pipe insert superglued in. Off cut of 15mm barrier pie. I was just using some bits lying around. All those years watching blue Peter have paid off.

OP
OP
A
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
bailey adamo 75-4dl
I have the Rob Drew tray and when my van went in for its MOT and service I asked the mechanic if it would cause any problems and he said it was fine.
Rob drew tray good. I didn’t use it because I was spending a couple of hours sorting all the issues. Just used what bits I had to hand. I asked my local dealer for advice. They read the riot act on mods breaching warranty. The transit van centre was fine about it. They should be applauding us. Ford absolute disgrace. I am just finishing video on BCM issue.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Rob drew tray good. I didn’t use it because I was spending a couple of hours sorting all the issues. Just used what bits I had to hand. I asked my local dealer for advice. They read the riot act on mods breaching warranty. The transit van centre was fine about it. They should be applauding us. Ford absolute disgrace. I am just finishing video on BCM issue.
What did they say. Bearing in minds Ford position ‘that there isn’t a problem’ what did they say about failing, rusted in injectors even after that have already exchanged the ones that were part of the ‘bad batch’. I already have the so called adapted scuttle plates which were supposed to ensure water run off into inner wings. Ill fitting and badly designed and still allows water to run over electrics.

Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
5W!b*ab3K#
I used an offcut of 63mm square drain pipe. Blanked the ends by cutting some pieces off the drain pipe and using solvent weld cement to weld them on. Two slits in back push over the scuttle brackets. Cut out top to let water in. Standard 15mm pipe insert superglued in. Off cut of 15mm barrier pie. I was just using some bits lying around. All those years watching blue Peter have paid off.
Ingenious, if you had thought about it you could have decorated it with some sticky back plastic! I will try something very similar when ours gets delivered 😉

OP
OP
A
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
bailey adamo 75-4dl
Ingenious, if you had thought about it you could have decorated it with some sticky back plastic! I will try something very similar when ours gets delivered 😉
I might make another one out of new downpipe. It is shiny and black.

OP
OP
A
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
bailey adamo 75-4dl
View attachment 843159View attachment 843160View attachment 843162M would like to share a cheap but effective solution I have come up with for preventing issues associated with the uncontrolled run off of rainwater from the windscreen. See pics.

Another view of scuttle drip tray

IMG_5798.jpeg

Nov 12, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro675
Exp
Just started
I took a different approach, I stopped it getting in… well I have at present, not sure how long it’ll last. Removed scuttle panel and put some butyl strip along it so it seals in place, sealed the driver side wiper rubber seal into the scuttle panel, sealed the bonnet vents into the bonnet with silicone sealer, removed all the lower bonnet sound deadening clips and sealed up the holes, put a drain pipe on the heater air intake drain to run it down out of the bay, put some seals in place to keep the water from the scuttle from draining into the engine bay rather than staying outside the inner wings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back