Water Heater Flue damage (1 Viewer)

MicBarra

Free Member
Oct 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis Signature 195
Bonjour!
The other week I was parked close to a lamp post and typically when I pulled away I accidentally hit said lamp post that ended up breaking the water heater flue cover.
I have a replacement cover but upon attempting to remove said cover it looks to be stuck onto the plate that surrounds the actual exhaust etc.
Does anyone know the best way to remove the cover without removing the plate around the exhaust?
If not where would get this plate?

Attachments

• 23689758-9820-409D-B7D0-D3386972D1AB.jpeg
    23689758-9820-409D-B7D0-D3386972D1AB.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 62
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
What plate? This is a propex malaga cover, at the bottom is air in with a rubber gasket, and at the top is the exhaust, with rubber also. You inclip the cover to expose the screws, undo, and the hole thing coming out in one piece. The rubbers needs greasing when goes back in. Have a look at new ones for sale how they look like.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Looks like there could be some non-setting mastic holding it to the bodywork ? Try warming it up a bit with a hairdryer or heat gun and see if you can get a bodywork plastic spudger behind it to lever it off ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MicBarra

MicBarra

Free Member
Oct 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis Signature 195
Hey Raul, firstly thanks for replying. I have removed the screws but how do I unclip the cover?

OP
OP
MicBarra

MicBarra

Free Member
Oct 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis Signature 195
Spot on jock!! I’ll give it a blast! I’ve had another look and someone has deffo put some adhesive around the cover! Might be able to do it tomorrow when erm… “working” lol

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Hey Raul, firstly thanks for replying. I have removed the screws but how do I unclip the cover?
With a knife and small flat screwdriver, warm the plastic up with hairdryer, if cold and brittle will snap. I did mine over in the summer. And yes I have glued it in place at sides and top. I cut the glue with a utility knife blade. It was my own fit so I knew exactly what I’m dealing with.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Mine doesn't have clips but has non-setting mastic like chewing gum to seal it to the metal plate. I believe it is important that it is well sealed to prevent the exhaust gas getting back inside the m/home.
I removed mine by slipping a very flexible scraper blade between the vent and the metal plate and working it all the way around the joint. I put wide masking tape on the metal plate around the perimeter of the vent first to avoid marking/scratching the metal plate.

OP
OP
MicBarra

MicBarra

Free Member
Oct 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis Signature 195
Cheers everyone that has suggested something so far. I was away in the moho over the weekend so have had a chance to give it a proper go yet.
I'm going to break out the wife's hair dryer later and see if i can get it off, failing that i'll have to order a new cowl.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Mine doesn't have clips but has non-setting mastic like chewing gum to seal it to the metal plate. I believe it is important that it is well sealed to prevent the exhaust gas getting back inside the m/home.
I removed mine by slipping a very flexible scraper blade between the vent and the metal plate and working it all the way around the joint. I put wide masking tape on the metal plate around the perimeter of the vent first to avoid marking/scratching the metal plate.
Use dental floss to cut through the mastic or silicon, I used it on the roof lights so I don't have to force it off as they where leaking

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Use dental floss to cut through the mastic or silicon, I used it on the roof lights so I don't have to force it off as they where leaking
I had to use a scraper as even though I can ride my motorcycles, wind my m/h awning in and out and change a quilt cover I haven't yet found a way to use dental floss one-handed :giggle:.

Useful tip for others though. (y)

OP
OP
MicBarra

MicBarra

Free Member
Oct 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis Signature 195
Ah that would have been a good tip at the time lol!
So initially i tried to caress the grill off but no dice... so the hulk came out to play :D
Thanks to some delicate scalpel work mixed with the force of a hammer and a butter knife i managed to pry the grill away from the cowl (Sorry if the terminology is wrong haha) in little pieces.
It looked as though there was some of the double sided tape mixed with some adhesive on there as some of it was hard and need to good ole chiselling away.
New grill is now fitted WITHOUT any adhesive as it seems VERY strong now even without it. I have applied some silicon around the grill though.
Cheers everyone for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 17.42.28.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 17.42.28.png
    384.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 17.43.14.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 17.43.14.png
    398.8 KB · Views: 11

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun