Water filling issue (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford Duo
Exp
I'm a newbie
Please bear with me as we’re new to this game. We bought a Burford Duo 2016 a few months ago and went on a little trip. The water for the loo was fine but the main water for the sink and shower wasn’t coming out, when you turned the taps on it started pouring out of the overflow. We contacted the dealer who said we needed to fill the tank using a ‘whale’ connector. We’ve just picked up the connector and brought it home and it doesn’t fit, looking on the web, it’s showing a special hose - we’re going away again on Thursday for a long weekend and I’d love to get this sorted.

The dealer we bought it from spoke to us like we should’ve known we were missing the whale thingy, even though we told them we’d never owned one and we’re complete newbies and they’ve sold us the wrong bit, so I’m losing faith in getting the right info from them. So I was hoping someone on here would have some knowledge that makes sense. I should add that the place where we fill up looks like it’s got an electrical socket piece, not sure how else to describe it.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If its coming out the overflow you have water in the tank......
Sounds like your automatic boiler dump valve is open.
It opens in cold weather to empty and protect the boiler from freezing but turning on the pump tries to fill the boiler which only dumps the water outside.
It will be near the boiler and will be either a yellow or red lever or knob. Whichever way it is now, move/push/pull it the other way and try again.

The dealer should have included the fill hose.
That's like not providing a battery.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Best guess
You may have an open hot water cylinder drain valve when pump is used its trying to fill the hot water system hence nowt from taps
Close drain valve found near the cylinder then let pump run to fill cylinder and a tap too if you like pump should stop automatically when tank is full

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
But if it is the dump valve,it would just pour out all the time,not just when the taps are on.....wouldn’t it?
Maybe check around the pipes near the water pump to see if there’s a pipe loose or off.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The fill hose you describe is a throwback to caravans.
It has a pump on the end which goes in a water barrel and the other end plugs into the water connector AND the two pin 12v socket.... Its all on one plug.
You don't need it.
You can use a hose with a suitable adaptor to plug into the water connector.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But if it is the dump valve,it would just pour out all the time,not just when the taps are on.....wouldn’t it?
Maybe check around the pipes near the water pump to see if there’s a pipe loose or off.
No, if the boiler is empty turning on the pump will attempt to refill it but the valve is already open so it just runs out.
Some have the valve positioned so ALL the water dumps, others just the boiler

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
If I were you I would contact Autosleepers direct. My brother in law has one of their vans and regularly goes to them for service and spares . They will know your van if you give them the relevant information. He can't speak highly enough of them.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If I were you I would contact Autosleepers direct. My brother in law has one of their vans and regularly goes to them for service and spares . They will know your van if you give them the relevant information. He can't speak highly enough of them.
I agree, phone Autosleeper service in the morning for advice.
01386 853338

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
There is a very good Auto-sleeper Owners Group Facebook page.

You will find someone with the same van as yours who can help with location of the dump valve etc.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
just to add to this for the future. We have had 2 Autosleeper models with the Whale system and we hate it. The AS owners facebook page is fabulous and friendly and thanks to advice received on there we are booked in at auto sleeper on 1st July to have a 'normal' filling hole (cant think of the word!) fitted at the side of the whale one so we will have the best of both options wherever we go as sometimes, especially if we are on a site, it is easier to just fill a watering can and keep topping up which you cannot do with the current set up.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
What is the purpose of this Whale system? Poking a hose or watering can into a hole seems straightforward and I can not see much to be gained from this system. Happy to be re-educated on the topic.

Upvote 0

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
Please bear with me as we’re new to this game. We bought a Burford Duo 2016 a few months ago and went on a little trip. The water for the loo was fine but the main water for the sink and shower wasn’t coming out, when you turned the taps on it started pouring out of the overflow. We contacted the dealer who said we needed to fill the tank using a ‘whale’ connector. We’ve just picked up the connector and brought it home and it doesn’t fit, looking on the web, it’s showing a special hose - we’re going away again on Thursday for a long weekend and I’d love to get this sorted.

The dealer we bought it from spoke to us like we should’ve known we were missing the whale thingy, even though we told them we’d never owned one and we’re complete newbies and they’ve sold us the wrong bit, so I’m losing faith in getting the right info from them. So I was hoping someone on here would have some knowledge that makes sense. I should add that the place where we fill up looks like it’s got an electrical socket piece, not sure how else to describe it.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.
who is going to service your van= motor home,find a good one you like, then ask the question,if they help,
take good look at them, may be the one.ok pj

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Julzie
Jan 13, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford Duo
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks guys, knew I’d get more sense on here - dealer (we are finding out) is at best useless

I’m out tonight but will be checking for open valve tomorrow, it certainly sounds like that’s what it could be xx

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
How and why do manufacturers make something as simple as filling a water tank so complicated. We use a watering can, simple, failsafe, easy, fits all taps, valves and streams.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've just realised what you meant.....
It does appear it's on micro-switch taps and a submersible pump or, as you say, it would run constantly with taps open or closed.

Upvote 0

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
There is a very good Auto-sleeper Owners Group Facebook page.

You will find someone with the same van as yours who can help with location of the dump valve etc.

just to add to this for the future. We have had 2 Autosleeper models with the Whale system and we hate it. The AS owners facebook page is fabulous and friendly and thanks to advice received on there we are booked in at auto sleeper on 1st July to have a 'normal' filling hole (cant think of the word!) fitted at the side of the whale one so we will have the best of both options wherever we go as sometimes, especially if we are on a site, it is easier to just fill a watering can and keep topping up which you cannot do with the current set up.
Thanks for the heads up , we have just joined the Autosleepers club as we now have a Kingham , ive just searched on Facebook for the autosleepers group and found a couple,, is the one you's are referring to the one with 3.6k members ?

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I've just realised what you meant.....
It does appear it's on micro-switch taps and a submersible pump or, as you say, it would run constantly with taps open or closed.
Yes,I’ve always been “misunderstood”,at least that’s my excuse!
Without wishing to hijack the thread,can you explain the following?
When I fill my fresh water tank,I wait for it to run out of the overflow.....so I know it’s full. However,it then runs from the overflow for ages.....maybe as long as a minute. I can’t work out why it would do that. Just an annoying waste of water (and time).
Any ideas??

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes,I’ve always been “misunderstood”,at least that’s my excuse!
Without wishing to hijack the thread,can you explain the following?
When I fill my fresh water tank,I wait for it to run out of the overflow.....so I know it’s full. However,it then runs from the overflow for ages.....maybe as long as a minute. I can’t work out why it would do that. Just an annoying waste of water (and time).
Any ideas??
Landy has told you the reason, now I'll explain it.
When you fill the tank and water comes out the overflow it causes a syphon effect..... Like syphoning petrol out of a car.

If the overflow tube INSIDE the tank was 1/2" long the syphon would pull water from the tank until the level dropped to the end of the pipe then air would be drawn in and the syphon would be broken.... A few seconds maybe.

If the end of the pipe went half way down the tank it would syphon water to the end of the pipe until the syphon was again broken... Half a tank.

Whoever fitted your overflow pipe has shoved it a bit too far inside the tank.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back