Rally Chat Wartime in the Cotswolds 28/29th April nr Cheltenham (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway has held this event for the last 6 years over the last weekend in April and and Ann and I are the Camping Organisers.
There are Wartime displays with an emphasis on the "1940's Home Front"at each of our 5 stations along the line. Camping is adjacent to Toddington Station and you can travel by steam train up and down the 14 mile line from the new station at Broadway in Worcestershire right thru to Cheltenham Racecourse.
Public greenfield camping is available at £18 per night or £40 for the weekend but this does not include train tickets.
I hope that I havent broken any forum rules by posting this.
Anyone interested or for more details have a look at GWSR.com - its under Special Events
Mike & Ann

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
As I did some schooling at Mickleton catching the Cornishman home from Welford upon Avon ,I could possibly like to attend this one . Will check details later .(y)

Thinking back I think we use to use Honeybourn Stn .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Each year it seems to get bigger, and I think, better.
This year we have moved the emphasis towards Home Front as much as the Wartime aspect.
Or house magazine is called " The Cornishman" to keep the name going
Mike & Ann

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Oh Dear, its been pointed out to me that the event is of course on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th April,, I was a day out! at least I got the year right 2019, just a month after Br*x*t??
Sorry everyone
Mike

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Of course the camping opens Fri 26th at 1200 -and closes Monday 29th at same time, we only borrow the site off the Farmer- thanks Mr Mann. So please don't leave tent pegs in the farmers grass he will NOT be happy, anyway we will walk all the site and clear it all
Have a great weekend
Mike & Ann

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Had another small working party yesterday to get a few more bits ready, didnt realise that we had such a large collection signs- still you need a lot when you have to dress 4 stations plus the new one at Broadway!
Also gave a presentation to our younger members to see if they will join us as period Newspaper Vendors for our free handout programme " Star, News, Standard" anyone?
Looking forward to meeting the folks from MHF who have signed up, why not have a go at some 19040's outfits you wont be out of place!

See you there
Mike & Ann
P1190198.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Been sending out the camping permits today and looks like we might have pleasant weather by the end of this month- its certainly been very wintry rain today in the Cotswolds this afternoon.

" The Cotswold Express" Programme for the weekend is now on the GWSR website
so you can see just how much work goes into it

Mike & Ann

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Been sending out the camping permits today and looks like we might have pleasant weather by the end of this month

" The Cotswold Express" Programme for the weekend is now on the GWSR website.

Mike & Ann
So....... any funsters going to this one ?

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
We presently have a few bookings from Funsters and quite afew from the Gen Public who have perhaps been follwing our media feeds.
Hear today that the Hurricane and Spitfire is booked to fly past Sunday Lunchtime ( subject to all the normal caveats)
Mike & Ann

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Just realised that the in -advance ticket offer expires next Thursday 18th and although I hate to make the prediction the weather looks good

Train Ticket Types and Prices
One Day On the Day

One Day In Advance Online

Two Day in Advance Online

Adults £26 £22 £40
Senior (aged 60+) £24 £20 £36
Children (aged 5-15) £11 £10 £18
Family Ticket (2 adults and up to 3 children) £63 £54 £98
  • You can save money and avoid the queues at the booking office on the day by buying your tickets online in advance.
  • Please note £1 postage will be added to your order

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
What a fantastic weekend we have had...thanks @Mike800966 for the invite and for all your hardwork...(y)
We have never seen so many high ranking officers from all the services in one place.... plus of course their very attractive companions :D
I don't think Broadway has seen so many uniforms since the war and business was booming in the pubs and restaurants.
Churchill,King George V1, Montgomery all ventured forth with pearls of wisdom , :rolleyes: .......and there were queues for the Spitfire.
Bobbies on the beat kept law and order or chased spivs trying to flog knicker elastic and duff watches :cry: and the minions were run ragged by their sergeants.
The 'Allo Allo' brigade were there dining a' deux with their picnic baskets baguettes and bottles of vino.......
The weather behaved itself after a blowy start.
Hopefully some photos to follow but if you were not there you missed a treat :D2
Roll on next year ....even the trains were on time.....Many many thanks to all the volunteers at GWSR

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Wildge, you said you would put something up as you obviously enjoyed it so much but I didnt expect such praise!. Ann and I have only just got back from clearing up the campsite- it was a lot of work, marred a bit by the windy weather but each year I speak to so many happy cheerful people that we really enjoy doing it . Looking forward to the Kent and East Sussex rally in a little while.
Thanks again
Mike & Ann

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
IMG_2291.JPG
IMG_2292.JPG
IMG_2293.JPG
IMG_2294.JPG
IMG_2295.JPG
IMG_2296.JPG
IMG_2297.JPG
IMG_2298.JPG
IMG_2299.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG
IMG_2301.JPG
IMG_2302.JPG
What a fantastic weekend we have had...thanks @Mike800966 for the invite and for all your hardwork...(y)
We have never seen so many high ranking officers from all the services in one place.... plus of course their very attractive companions :D
I don't think Broadway has seen so many uniforms since the war and business was booming in the pubs and restaurants.
Churchill,King George V1, Montgomery all ventured forth with pearls of wisdom , :rolleyes: .......and there were queues for the Spitfire.
Bobbies on the beat kept law and order or chased spivs trying to flog knicker elastic and duff watches :cry: and the minions were run ragged by their sergeants.
The 'Allo Allo' brigade were there dining a' deux with their picnic baskets baguettes and bottles of vino.......
The weather behaved itself after a blowy start.
Hopefully some photos to follow but if you were not there you missed a treat :D2
Roll on next year ....even the trains were on time.....Many many thanks to all the volunteers at GWSR

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back