Want to buy a Motorhome but which one??? (1 Viewer)

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Hi there, :)
My husband and I have a Pennine Pathfinder at the moment but are thinking we would like to upgrade to a motorhome now we are approaching 60.
We really need your expert advice on the pitfalls, things to look for and ones that you would really recommend. We want to take our 2 grandchildren away occasionally as well, so we need safe seats for at least 4 . Ideally we would like fixed bed/s for 2 people?
I would love to hear your thoughts?

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Hello and welcome from Scotland. :WelcomeFlag:1st bit of advice, take your time and pick the right layout first time, it saves heartache later on. Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i recommend you pay to subscribe and this gives you access to download the motorhome buyers guide written by @Jim

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
:ello: & :welco:, something that is often overlooked is sufficient payload, with four people aboard I'd suggest you need at least 500kg.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We used to have a pathfinder :) Great bit of kit but wouldn't go back to one after the ease of a motorhome. We have a fixed bed with a lounge that makes into another bed. There are so many layouts, my suggestion would be to go to a big show like the NEC one in October. Have a look around all the types of layouts, but check payload figures very carefully. I saw a 6 berth motorhome weighing 3400kg plated 3500! The salesmen didn't seem phased by the 100 payload.

Welcome to Fun :)

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Hi welcome to fun happy and safe travels.

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
We used to have a pathfinder :) Great bit of kit but wouldn't go back to one after the ease of a motorhome. We have a fixed bed with a lounge that makes into another bed. There are so many layouts, my suggestion would be to go to a big show like the NEC one in October. Have a look around all the types of layouts, but check payload figures very carefully. I saw a 6 berth motorhome weighing 3400kg plated 3500! The salesmen didn't seem phased by the 100 payload.

Welcome to Fun :)
Thanks for replying everyone and for the suggestions! Really pleased to hear someone else gave up the Pathfinder for a motor home! It gives me confidence we are on the right track! What make of motor homes are your favorites and which ones should we avoid. I've stopped looking at available ones now as you have made me see we need to work out what we need first. Thank you everyone.... you seem like a lovely bunch of people! :h: xx

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Layout and payload.

Think very carefully about where you want the beds to be and why. Can you still move around conveniently if one of the beds is occupied? Can you still stay up and watch TV or chat if the kids are tucked up in bed?

Payload - just two of us with basic kit, plus water, fuel etc struggled to stay within the 395 Kgs payload allowance of our 3.5 tonne MH so we've up-plated to 3.8 tonnes. We couldn't fit two extra people plus belongings in legally without up-plating, despite the vehicle being sold as 4-berth. However, at age 70 you will have to be re-tested to drive a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes. Be sure to read any small print where your new vehicle's available payload is calculated - you'll soon eat into it, mainly with the various liquids you have to carry.

Rosies21

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Layout and payload.

Think very carefully about where you want the beds to be and why. Can you still move around conveniently if one of the beds is occupied? Can you still stay up and watch TV or chat if the kids are tucked up in bed?

Payload - just two of us with basic kit, plus water, fuel etc struggled to stay within the 395 Kgs payload allowance of our 3.5 tonne MH so we've up-plated to 3.8 tonnes. We couldn't fit two extra people plus belongings in legally without up-plating, despite the vehicle being sold as 4-berth. However, at age 70 you will have to be re-tested to drive a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes. Be sure to read any small print where your new vehicle's available payload is calculated - you'll soon eat into it, mainly with the various liquids you have to carry.
Still very much in early stages of research ourselves...did I read somewhere that your doctor can write a letter or something on approaching 70, so retest wasn't needed. Or was that just a hopeful dream

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Layout and payload.

Thanks for all this really helpful information. I'll take note of everything you say and make sure we do our research. Thank u :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back