Walmer petitioning to 'save The Beach from the invasion of motorhomes' (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This year has been particularly bad in terms of volumes of people I guess, but the proposal does not seem be too draconian, one MoHo discreetly parking/ 'wild camping' is one thing but if much of the road is taken up it causes issues.

The paper's pictures are taken during the day it would be interesting to see the pictures from a night time and most seaside towns have been inundated this year.

"was recommended: that consultation be undertaken on the following proposal - to prohibit motorhomes from parking on Marine Parade and Waterloo Crescent in Dover, the Beach in Walmer, and the Quay, Sandwich between the hours of 10pm and 8am, from 1 April to 30 September annually”.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
It looks like the old parking versus camping debate. Difficult to believe much anti social behaviour takes place in daylight when parking, do believe it happens at night by those overnight camping. The latter is unacceptable and should be reported to the local authorities who will hopefully apply stiff penalties.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
A page from app Search for Sites perhaps shows why motorhomes go there with three entries on the seafront.
Need a large aire for that many and the cost of land in Kent is no doubt prohibitive for such a low income operation.
Also shows a 35acre clifftop site nearby in Kingsdown but you have to pay , therein lies the problem, you won’t get something for nothing forever.

A911FBA6-667A-4FCC-9A4F-E45078B1F305.png

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
“We are concerned about the number of motor homes parking on the seafront.

“People’s lives are being disrupted. If we ask, they say we don’t own the view, but they don’t either. Some of those vans are huge and the people can be very aggressive."

Correct. The residents have no right of ownership in a view. [That is arguably unfair especially if a developer effectively steals your view with a new housing development and doesn't have to compensate you in any way but that's a separate debate.]

Aside from grumbles about litter and difficulty finding a parking space, which may be justified, this boils down to some local residents hating the sight of motorhomes and campervans spoiling their view.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can totally understand their annoyance if they are unable to see the view for days/weeks on end due to large vehicles blocking it but they've got the 'ban' request the wrong way round ... at night they won't be able to see the view and that's when they want to stop MHs being able to park which is stupid ... it won't do a thing to stop the day-time parking which is what is their issue really is but which they appear to not be trying to stop ... the ONLY way to prevent upsetting the residents is a total ban (not that I'm advocating it!).

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
A page from app Search for Sites perhaps shows why motorhomes go there with three entries on the seafront.
Need a large aire for that many and the cost of land in Kent is no doubt prohibitive for such a low income operation.
Also shows a 35acre clifftop site nearby in Kingsdown but you have to pay , therein lies the problem, you won’t get something for nothing forever.

View attachment 428536
Absolutely! Spot on!!!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I can totally understand their annoyance if they are unable to see the view for days/weeks on end due to large vehicles blocking it but they've got the 'ban' request the wrong way round ... at night they won't be able to see the view and that's when they want to stop MHs being able to park which is stupid ... it won't do a thing to stop the day-time parking which is what is their issue really is but which they appear to not be trying to stop ... the ONLY way to prevent upsetting the residents is a total ban (not that I'm advocating it!).
Quite agree but it could be argued that the prevention of overnight parking will result in a drop in people pitching up during the day prior to an overnight stop as a natural consequence

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I notice the article was written nearly two years ago, did anything become of this? Anyone know if restrictions were put in place for motorhome parking?

1601290829292.png

Attachments

• 1601290767730.png
    1601290767730.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 12
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

View attachment 428536

They restrict motorhomes to 6.5m in length if I read the blurb correctly so no good for many motorhomes.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
They restrict motorhomes to 6.5m in length if I read the blurb correctly so no good for many motorhomes.

Just had a look , limitations on entrance roads max caravan length 6.5m and no twin axle, RVs or large motorhomes, doesn’t state what the max length of a motorhome is .

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Just had a look , limitations on entrance roads max caravan length 6.5m and no twin axle, RVs or large motorhomes, doesn’t state what the max length of a motorhome is .
Wouldn’t take our 6.99m van down there. The roads are impossibly narrow. The site is beautifully situated but very very few level pitches. more suited to camping which is a great shame as lovely spot.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Have just seen local paper. Evidently this has been an ongoing situation for 5 years and has now reached final decision stage by Kent County Council And is expected to be resolved in near future.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Hi,

I live a street back from Beach Street which is the subject of the article.

It’s fair to say that the residents on the sea front are quite aggressive in their ‘policing’ of the parking of motorhomes along the seafront. I do park my MH there for the odd night prior to travelling to Dover for the early morning ferry. I park some where secure for my routine parking up. More often than not I return to find an impolite note under my windscreen or a resident ‘offering parking advice’! There have been instances of people having their MH windscreens ‘Stickered’ although I haven’t but some one did warn me it might happen, I put him straight about what would de the consequences!

The photos as displayed do not reflect what was the position prior to this summer. However this year there has been a marked increase in the number of MHs parked during the day. I would have to say if I lived on Beach Street I would not be overly pleased with the current number of MHs turning up every summer day. It may change in a post COVID world. However during the night this falls to maybe 2-4 but often none. I would say from my experience there is very little evidence of anyone staying for more than 1-2 nights. The littering in the photos is the usual morning picture after the seagulls have ravaged all the local rubbish bins. This is most definitely not caused by MH owners.

As regards the potential banning of MHs overnight. This has been out for public consultation which from memory covers the period between 6pm - 8am and is now closed. This will not affect day time parking as currently proposed. In addition there is another proposal to allow overnight MH parking in a car park further along the seafront towards Walmer Castle which currently does not allow overnight MH parking. This proposal is also suggesting the overnight opening of the public toilets associated with the car park.

I’m not convinced that the current proposal will assuage the residents concerns if I’m honest.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We looked at a spot on one of the apps right at the end of the beach in deal one van was on ramps right outside someone's house we just moved on to a better spot

RobL

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Minchinhampton
Funster No
MH
American rv purchasing.
Exp
Since 2008
It's a public road with no parking restrictions other than the residents side of the road which has double yellow lines.
Although undoubtedly an annoyance to residents nothing they can do about it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back