Voltage sensitive relay earth (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

ListerRD

Free Member
Oct 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Volkswagen
Hi,

Hoping someone could shed some light...

Voltage sensitive relay started switching on and off constantly. If I disconnect the leisure battery and reconnect it the problem goes away for about 90 miles or so then starts again switching on and off again.

Is this an earth problem? Charge building up in the relay? Earth goes from relay to negative terminal on battery. Do I need a new relay? Something else?

Les

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
There will be others with more expertise than me coming along but I'm constantly hearing and reading about poor earth connections being the root cause of a lot of electrical problems so I'd start with checking all earth connections for a start.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
At what voltage does it engage and disconnect? (Hopefully written on it or a part no. )
What voltage are you getting to it whilst engine is running?
I doubt it’s the earth if it goes to battery terminal.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You need to find out if the VSR is faulty, or if it's just responding correctly to the voltages applied to it and there's a battery/alternator charging problem. Can you read the voltage when it goes on and off? Maybe try one of those cigarette-lighter USB adapters with a voltage readout, so you can see what is happening as you drive. The trigger voltages should be on the label, or in the datasheet/manual for that VSR model.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back