Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
Thanks I have seen that .
They have only a single negative terminal connected
On my battery there are many cables connected what I need to know do I connect everything that's connected to the negative post to one end of the shunt then connect another earth cable to the other side of the shunt to the negative post on the battery

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yes that's correct
All negatives to one end of the shunt

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can it cope with the current of the inverter ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
to the negative post on the battery

Two negative posts in fact. So a short link neg to neg and to shunt then everything else to the other side of the shunt if it can cope.

NEG----------------NEG----------------[SHUNT]------------------loads of wires

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's got a 500amp shunt

WOW, no prisoners taken, that should survive but the batteries will beg for mercy.

Cobbling all the thick wires to the end of the shunt will be taxing. Maybe a short wire with an M 8 or M6 ring then a bolt and all the other NEGs.

PS damned stupid software just converted M 8 without a space to "mate".

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Yes, you should have instructions with your BMV to confirm that. Otherwise the monitor will not measure all the current going into or coming out of the battery bank and you will be given erroneous information.

I built an additional distribution board for all the “extra connecvtions” (see photo).

Everything has to pass through the shunt, so you will need something to connect all the negative wires to on the other side of it. It would be nice if such shunts recognized the need to add more wires to the distant side, but they don’t. You’ll see that I added simple block to which all the black wires will go.

Also, on the positive side, I inserted an isolation switch and fuses for all the extra kit I’ve added (wires to an inverter are visible in the middle, others were not connected at the time of the photo, supply from the batteries is on extreme left and right of the picture). Solar input and power to other devices that I’ve added (chargers, etc…) are connected to these points, to be independent of the ‘standard’ van circuit.

Attachments

• distribution board.JPG
    distribution board.JPG
    306 KB · Views: 49

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My wiring diagramme may be useful. You can see that only the shunt joins the battery negative terminals. The motorhome negative connection is now made to a busbar, on the other side of the shunt, which is also used to connect new circuits.

The original positive for the motorhome still connects directly to the batteries, as will the feed for a BMV 702, but all new services will connect to the fused distribution box.

Attachments

• 12V wiring.pdf
    298.7 KB · Views: 42

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back