Van on HP finance (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2021
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit SWB
If I buy a van on Hire Purchase, the finance company “own” the van until the last payment is made.
How do I stand in making modifications to something I don’t own?

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Quite simply and you seem to have addressed the issue already.

In the majority of cases, for that entire period where you are driving the car but not the registered owner, you are not allowed to modify the car under any circumstances. Some finance providers will allow customers to modify a vehicle, but you must receive consent in order to do so. After consent has been given, and before the customer returns the car, it must be restored to the condition it was in when the finance contract started.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
If I buy a van on Hire Purchase, the finance company “own” the van until the last payment is made.
How do I stand in making modifications to something I don’t own?

In the majority of cases, for that entire period where you are driving the car but not the registered owner, you are not allowed to modify the car under any circumstances. Some finance providers will allow customers to modify a vehicle, but you must receive consent in order to do so. After consent has been given, and before the customer returns the car, it must be restored to the condition it was in when the finance contract started.
We're not talking PCP or lease, we're talking higher purchase.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its true with a HP loan on the vehicle you don't own it until the last payment is made however that wouldn't prevent you from modifying it in some way, adding bits etc as all that would likely happen is if you did them badly the value of the MH may go down (more than depreciation) but as you'd have been paying for it anyway if it did go back to them then any shortfall would be down to you to pay, similarly any mods may increase the value a bit so it's swings and roundabouts really.

However I would NEVER buy a MH on HP where the loan is secured on the vehicle, cars yes (if the deal was good like 0%) but otherwise no. The best way to fund a MH purchase is by a personal loan secured on your home as these tend to be a lot cheaper and you own the vehicle from the off as soon as you get it as the loan money could go straight to the dealer or you'd transfer it from your bank account to them. Another way to do it is to get a mortgage instead as the rates are generally a lot cheaper than a loan and again it isn't secured on the vehicle.

The advantage of a personal loan or mortgage to purchase is that in the future if you want to change the MH for a more expensive one you don't have to settle the initial loan as you would with one secured on the vehicle which can prove very costly as in effect end up paying interest on interest not to mention the 'admin' charges for settling early.

So if you have the option to get a personal loan/mortgage instead do that and avoid HP altogether.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Just email and ask. It's better than having an issue further down the hire purchase agreement period.

It'll also depend on the modifications you intend to complete, as they may enhance the value etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

I dont disagree with the principle of what you’re saying but try telling that to the Harley owners!! Have you ever seen a standard Harley? And around 65-70% are financed, predominantly by Black Horse and Close. I don’t recall one Harley owner asking the finance company’s permission for the loud exhausts and all the chrome goodies they put on.
It’s an interesting question though 👍

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I would never by a van on hp as it's a luxury and not a neccessity but that's me. I think they are over priced for what they are.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
My understanding with HP is that the lender in effect holds a charge over the vehicle, similar to a mortgage. This gives the lender security should you default, any additions to the vehicle remain yours and can be removed providing the vehicle is not damaged.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I once made the mistake of buying a motorhome on HP.... Or so I thought.
It turned out it was a personal loan from Black Horse finance.
I took it as I was waiting for a property sale and would only be for a couple of months then pay the HP and any accrude interest which is normal for HP.
But no.... The loan had full interest added at the outset and a 1% discount was offered on early payment IN FULL.
My own fault but that mistake cost me almost £20,000 in interest.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We're not talking PCP or lease, we're talking higher purchase.
I'm not being pedantic or rude here, but it's actually HIRE purchase, which is very important when trying to understand it.

Toby28

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Pembrokeshire. Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
It's more likely the insurance company would have the problem. Remember to notify them of anything you do. If you have to claim they will find a way out if you don't disclose modifications.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
You may also need GAP insurance to. If the vehicle is written off or badly damaged the insurance company may pay out less than the amount you still owe on the Hire Purchase agreement, leaving you with no vehicle, no money and a debt you still have to pay.
Personal loan is the way to go IMO. these can be obtained without securing it against your house.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
One good point about buying through HP is that after you have paid 50% of the payments, if you have wrecked it you can give it back irrespective of condition and not have to pay the balance. If you were planning a world trip then then that’s how I would do it. 😜

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back