Van conversion v coach built . (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2021
Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640slb
Exp
Had a break and about to start again !
Hi all, I am interested in rapido V68 / D68 / adria twin type van conversion , am I right in thinking that a van conversion would be less likely to suffer damp issues compared to a coach built ? Having had issues in the past I really would like to try and avoid it again.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Hi all, I am interested in rapido V68 / D68 / adria twin type van conversion , am I right in thinking that a van conversion would be less likely to suffer damp issues compared to a coach built ? Having had issues in the past I really would like to try and avoid it again.
A PVC is going to be more water tight by design. Have a search on here for Coach-built vs PVC

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
A PVC is going to be more water tight by design. Have a search on here for Coach-built vs PVC

That's probably right. The current fad for fitting a sort of sunroof above the cab where there used to be a shallow locker in my opinion is a potential weak point for leaks as well as more wind noise while driving. That locker is ideal for storing the silver screen so I would prefer to keep it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Damp can be caused by 2 things. A leak and condensation.
A leak is less likely in a PVC but condensation can be more likely due to the steel construction. Any failure of the insulation or vapour barrier can cause big problems. I lost my van to this. My own mistake I knew nothing about vapour barriers and I locked the condensation into the sills which rotted out.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got a Rapido V68, having had 2 coachbuilts previously.

I think PVCs are less likely to leak.

Any specific questions just ask. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
362bkr
Jan 13, 2021
Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640slb
Exp
Thank you mikebeaches , can I ask how long you’ve had your v68 and are there any negatives with the van ? The only one I can see is finding a used one . 😢

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you mikebeaches , can I ask how long you’ve had your v68 and are there any negatives with the van ? The only one I can see is finding a used one . 😢
We've had ours from new in June 2016. It's got the comfortmatic gearbox with the standard 130hp engine.

We like it a lot and have travelled around the continent as well as the UK. The previous two winters it was garaged in Alicante and we flew backwards and forwards to use it during the cooler months here. No such luck this year. :cry:

We find the wardrobe a bit cramped after our last coachbuilt, but there is plenty of other storage. And that's about it. :giggle:

On the plus side, we love the flexibility with the big sliding side door bringing the outside in; and even opening the rear barn doors to let the air through when it's really hot.

It's got a big 3-way 135 litre fridge-freezer and super comfy fixed twin beds.

We also like the saving of a foot in width compared to a coachbuilt, when it comes to driving and exploring all the interesting country lanes and villages. It also feels more planted on the road at speed - think white-van man flashing down the outside lane on the motorway. ;) It just feels more sure-footed than our previous coachbuilts. (y)

But yes, they can be a bit like hen's teeth to find good used ones. Nobody wants to sell 'em... ;) :unsure:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
PVCs tend to have ribbed roofs that act as buckets for collecting rainwater. Eventually that water will find its way past roof vents etc. Coachbuilts tend to have a flatter roof and drain much better.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
362bkr
Jan 13, 2021
Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640slb
Exp
Well 10 months after starting this thread I today put a deposit down on a 2019 Adria twin 640slb Supreme . That took longer than anticipated but that’s COVID-19 for you. Collection in 3 weeks !

Upvote 0

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Well 10 months after starting this thread I today put a deposit down on a 2019 Adria twin 640slb Supreme . That took longer than anticipated but that’s COVID-19 for you. Collection in 3 weeks !

(y) Have fun and enjoy!....... Post some pics up when you collect it

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We thought a van conversion was right for us had we had lots of good trips with it. Sadly rust became a major issue so we looked at what to replace it with. Budget dictated our choice so another van conversion would probably have the rust issues soon after we bought it unless we were very lucky.
We were offered a coach build with low mileage within our budget but it seemed too big for us and might restrict access to some places. After a lot of thinking and advise we took the plunge and bought it with a view to it taking us into retirement.
It is now sixteen years old and we have had a small issue with damp and a badly repaired front wheel arch is being repaired at the moment but we have more storage space and it’s proving to be ideal for our all year travels. As for access it’s not proved to be a problem. We have managed to get to most places we wanted to visit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
362bkr
Jan 13, 2021
Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640slb
Exp
UPDATE : Collected today !

Attachments

• 0BB3340A-278F-4F96-B9E1-65B952DD0834.jpeg
    0BB3340A-278F-4F96-B9E1-65B952DD0834.jpeg
    906.7 KB · Views: 175
  • C0CE7481-A075-41AA-93CB-25F5B526E457.jpeg
    C0CE7481-A075-41AA-93CB-25F5B526E457.jpeg
    547.7 KB · Views: 178
Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Lovely looking van...however bit unusual in that it is RHD but sliding door on off side. !!

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely looking van...however bit unusual in that it is RHD but sliding door on off side. !!
As 362bkr has indicated, I believe virtually all vans - coachbuilt and PVCs - manufactured / converted on the continent, have the habitation door on the UK offside, regardless of whether left-hand drive or right-hand drive.

We've had 3 French conversions (2 Rapido & 1 Chausson) all rhd, but with the hab door on the offside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We recently changed from an A class Rapido to a PVC, Autosleeper XL. We had worried about storage but havn't had any issues, plenty of storage for two and we love the barn doors, overall our fears were groundless and downsizing actually didn't mean any compromise except leaving the bed made up but thats not really an issue we user the long settee's as singles with a sleeping bag and it takes just a minute or two to remove them from the locker and jump in.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We recently changed from an A class Rapido to a PVC, Autosleeper XL. We had worried about storage but havn't had any issues, plenty of storage for two and we love the barn doors, overall our fears were groundless and downsizing actually didn't mean any compromise except leaving the bed made up but thats not really an issue we user the long settee's as singles with a sleeping bag and it takes just a minute or two to remove them from the locker and jump in.
We looked at these but couldn’t figure out where to store stuff Like camping chairs, Cadac, bedding, ramps, cables, shoes & general gubbins. If i remember under the lounge seats a lot of space taken my heater & tank. Genuinely interested as we always fancied the rear lounge having come from a caravan.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We have the Warwick Duo, & although one lounge seat is almost taken up by the boiler etc, there is one whole seat free. We have partitioned the last third for levellers, hook up, connectors etc, & the chairs, duvets & other bits go in the other two thirds. We use the pillows as cushions, & there is a large overcab space that takes the screen blinds, drying rack, fans, spare milk, dog food, etc etc! There are overhead cupboards for clothes & we have shelved the wardrobe to use as a food cupboard. We travel for three months at a time in normal times, both in Europe & the uk, & with creative thinking it’s comfortable. We don’t carry suits & evening dress however! 😀

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We looked at these but couldn’t figure out where to store stuff Like camping chairs, Cadac, bedding, ramps, cables, shoes & general gubbins. If i remember under the lounge seats a lot of space taken my heater & tank. Genuinely interested as we always fancied the rear lounge having come from a caravan.
The tank is under the vehicle so in the left locker there are two batteries and water pump. That leaves room for a pair of ramps, leaving more room for bucket, bbq and some other bits as well as dirty laundry bag. The right locker has nothing in it so it easily takes two sleeping bags and pillows there is quite a lot of room left for other things but we have never filled it up. Folding chairs go up in the open locker above the cab seats with silver screens. Tops, jumpers & underwear in lockers over bunks as is crockery. Pots and pans under sink and tinned food under oven. Bread, cereals biscuits etc in locker above cooker, hoses in can door pockets. The wardrobe is ok and takes the hanging things like trousers and the odd formal shirt and we put shoes on on its floor, there is plenty of room in the four drawers for cutlery and utensils. We havn’t been on any really long two month trips as we used to in the A class yet but overall with a little planning I can’t really see too much of a problem provided we use a laundry every ten days or so.we havn’t needed to store anything in the shower but I know some people do.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back