Using a Power Bank instead of an inverter (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I've seen many post where people want to charge low power devices, such as laptops, but have been unable to source a suitable 12v to 19v adapter.

On a recent trip away with my son, he was using a power bank with good effect.

His job means he has to frequently power devices of different voltages, while away from mains voltage supplies.

By charging the Power bank from a USB he could then use it to quickly charge his phone or laptop. As well as providing variable DC voltages from 1-25v (75 watts) it also has a 100w AC socket. It can be charged directly by USB, 12v, solar (has a built in controller) and AC.

He's just told me:

"I have cables that connect my laptop directly to the battery. I don’t ever use the power brick that came with it. Obviously you need to make sure you have the right cable but they’re easy to find for any laptop."

Omni 20+

Omni 20+ 20000mah AC/DC/USB-C/Wireless Power Bank | High Powered Battery Backup for Laptops:MacBook Pro/iPad Pro/Dell/Surface | Cameras:Canon/Nikon/DSLR/DJI Drones | Smart Devices:iPhone/Samsung Amazon product ASIN B07S37GGC8

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
This will work but the 'brick' needs to have enough capacity to feed all your devices between charges. If you use a laptop a lot, you may not have enough power in the 'brick' to last a day. Some laptops may hold more 'juice' than a typical 'brick'.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Isn't it just a battery with a built in inverter?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Isn't it just a battery with a built in inverter?
Yes, if you want AC, but the USB-C output will charge at 100w - that's 20 amps at 5 volts - far higher than a normal USB adapter.

Last edited:

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
At that price I think I'd pay a little more for twice the power here
The only devise I struggle with when mobile is a Mac lap top, and since the battery life on it is fantastic the pocket sized power banks that my client gives away free do the job for my phone and iPad etc just fine.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Yes, if you want AC, but the USB-C output will charge at 100w - that's 20 amps at 5 volts - far higher than a normal USB adapter.
That is not correct.
It's maximum stated input is 45w., assuming at 12v, that is 3.75A.
Your 12v cigarette lighter wiring would not be capable of passing 20A current without melting ;)
The blurb says

"Fast and flexible recharging

Fast and flexible recharging
45W input up to 36V
The universal barrel port accepts up to 45W and recharges in under 3 hours. With its built-in charge controller, it can be recharged from nearly any source. With the correct adapter you can recharge from:

● Solar Panels
● 12V Car Outlet
● USB Chargers
● Laptop Chargers
● AC Wall Chargers"

Given the cost at approx £200, for the suggested use of laptop charging, a victron Phoenix 500W PSW at £158 seems a cheaper and more versatile option
As you are already lugging leisure batteries around ;)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The only positive that I can see is that these power banks are portable, as said with a good solar set up, B2B charger, and 2 leisure batts, plus a 240v inverter if really needed, then they are just additional weight, expense, and the larger ones are heavy!.
Some might say that they contain the "dodgy" Lithium Ion batteries, not the safer LifePo4 , and wont even entertain the thought of storing one in the van:eek:
I guess you have to check out the internal battery spec, against price to make sure you get the safer option.
Most full time van vloggers have been given them FOC for charging their vlogging kits (cameras, laptops etc) but they are given those to review and comment on, some are well over £1500, although "guaranteed" for 5 years plus in many cases.
If you feel that you would use one, maybe lend out to family camping in tents etc, then they could be useful, but not being a "Vlogger" I dont think I need one.
LES

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Large capacity Powerbanks are very popular for off grid use in the States and Austrialia, some used wisely can be very useful indeed, I have one on order to act as a standalone charger whilst being replenished by a folding 150w Solar Panel, this helps my only 95ah leisure battery and single 120w roof mounted Solar to maintain my motorhome, while the Powerbank/Solar Panel set up works for free. I do not have the space to add another leisure battery, so having a portable one is a great idea....for the way we use our motorhome.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Large capacity Powerbanks are very popular for off grid use in the States and Austrialia, some used wisely can be very useful indeed, I have one on order to act as a standalone charger whilst being replenished by a folding 150w Solar Panel, this helps my only 95ah leisure battery and single 120w roof mounted Solar to maintain my motorhome, while the Powerbank/Solar Panel set up works for free. I do not have the space to add another leisure battery, so having a portable one is a great idea....for the way we use our motorhome.
I wonder if they’d be any good for charging electric bikes? That’s the only time we struggle off grid with our 140 gel battery and 120 solar. We do have this rather annoying habit of changing vans rather more often than we should which puts us off the big cost of lithium but your idea sounds like it might be an option!

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
There are units out there which will charge an electric bike and run quite a bit of mains power, but they are big, heavy and expensive.

You'd be better off with a generator

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I wonder if they’d be any good for charging electric bikes? That’s the only time we struggle off grid with our 140 gel battery and 120 solar. We do have this rather annoying habit of changing vans rather more often than we should which puts us off the big cost of lithium but your idea sounds like it might be an option!
We are very keen bikers...we have 4 eBikes..we park-up off grid, normally in remote areas of Spain...having access to hours and days of solar energy we use what's available to us to charge our eBikes.
A portable solar panel and a fairly large capacity powerbank (used as a buffer) will replenish our bike batteries, without putting a strain on our motorhome system...our Powerbank has a 2500 cycle lifespan..
Quite often our MH needs to be parked in the shade, it's still 27°c here mid afternoon..our portable panel is taking as much available solar and charging our batteries...this set-up has enabled us to leave the generator at home....

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
There are units out there which will charge an electric bike and run quite a bit of mains power, but they are big, heavy and expensive.

You'd be better off with a generator
We’ve got a PVC and there’s no way we’d carry a petrol generator in the boot. Thanks though. I was wondering about these large lithium power banks as an option rather than fitting lithium batteries to the van. We have a tendency to change the van every 4 years, sometimes less.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
We’ve got a PVC and there’s no way we’d carry a petrol generator in the boot. Thanks though. I was wondering about these large lithium power banks as an option rather than fitting lithium batteries to the van. We have a tendency to change the van every 4 years, sometimes less.
too right, but a small Honda unit converted to gas is the way to go, theres even one for sale on here (nothing to do with me)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
We are very keen bikers...we have 4 eBikes..we park-up off grid, normally in remote areas of Spain...having access to hours and days of solar energy we use what's available to us to charge our eBikes.
A portable solar panel and a fairly large capacity powerbank (used as a buffer) will replenish our bike batteries, without putting a strain on our motorhome system...our Powerbank has a 2500 cycle lifespan..
Quite often our MH needs to be parked in the shade, it's still 27°c here mid afternoon..our portable panel is taking as much available solar and charging our batteries...this set-up has enabled us to leave the generator at home....
What power pack do you have?

Sounds a good setup?

Cheers James

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
What power pack do you have?

Sounds a good setup?

Cheers James
I've a total of 300w of Solar too...my system works well as we live in a Solar Blessed country....winter will be a testing time, with a low sun.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-16-10-27-34-119_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-16-10-27-34-119_com.android.chrome.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 40
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I've a total of 300w of Solar too...my system works well as we live in a Solar Blessed country....winter will be a testing time, with a low sun.....
This is the sort of alternative to a generator that appeals to me. Not so much for wild camping but more as an emergency power supply at home when there is a blackout. I hope they will become cheaper soon because the retail prices are about £1k per KwH capacity.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Apologies.
I misread your post.
I thought you were saying you could charge the power bank at 100w, but you were saying your powerbank can discharge (I.e. charge an attached item) at 100W (20A @ 5V)
👍

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Given the cost at approx £200, for the suggested use of laptop charging, a victron Phoenix 500W PSW at £158 seems a cheaper and more versatile option
As you are already lugging leisure batteries around ;)

Yes, I agree. However I also posted this for general interest, and its a useful piece of kit to have if you are literally out in the wilds, with no access to MH Leisure batteries.

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
At that price I think I'd pay a little more for twice the power here
The only devise I struggle with when mobile is a Mac lap top, and since the battery life on it is fantastic the pocket sized power banks that my client gives away free do the job for my phone and iPad etc just fine.
Yes it is expensive!

Twice the power maybe, but also much larger. The Omni 20+ will easily fit in a small bag or rucksack.

It quickly charges a MacBook Pro, at 150W, and then recharges over about 3 hours from a normal USB outlet

It's also the fact that it acts as a variable power supply which can make it useful for some people.

See Here

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
If I was heading out sans vehicle into the wilds, a heavy battery in my rucksack would be one of my last considerations.
It's not that heavy!

Weight: 1.35 lbs (611 g)
Dimension: 5.0″ x 4.8″ x 1.1″ (12.7 x 12.2 x 2.7 cm)

My son took it to Everest Base Camp, and up Mt Kilimanjaro, together with a rucksack-mounted solar panel, charging his Camera, Phone and Emergency GPS Communicator.

More detailed specifications and videos HERE

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Let's get things in perspective. The Omni 20+ is 70wh, the Jackery power pack is 240Wh (over 3x the energy) and the Bluetti power pack is 537Wh. A bike battery is about 250 to 500Wh, and a 100Ah leisure battery is 1200Wh.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If I was heading out sans vehicle into the wilds, a heavy battery in my rucksack would be one of my last considerations.
And what may I ask would be your first....and at what time are you planning a trip into the Wilds Jim....without a vehicle...🤔😀😀😀😀😀🇪🇦

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Let's get things in perspective. The Omni 20+ is 70wh, the Jackery power pack is 240Wh (over 3x the energy) and the Bluetti power pack is 537Wh. A bike battery is about 250 to 500Wh, and a 100Ah leisure battery is 1200Wh.
yip, Mrs eMTB has a 625Wh battery
the 500W PSW inverter will charge that from the onboard leisure batteries
for a £/Wh basis , the Omni doesn't make sense in a campervan with onboard leisure bateries

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Your knowledge is unquestionably accurate...however my charging of eBike batteries...one at a time is via my solar panel using the Brick as a buffer, and during this time we are in a cool van enjoying a cold beer or something very similar....do you get our way of replenishment...like I mentioned earlier our off grid setup is very basic...one 95ah battery and one rooftop panel, which I've found from experience to be very inefficient in the shade....👍🤔😀😀😀🇪🇦

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
It's not that heavy!

Weight: 1.35 lbs (611 g)
Dimension: 5.0″ x 4.8″ x 1.1″ (12.7 x 12.2 x 2.7 cm)

My son took it to Everest Base Camp, and up Mt Kilimanjaro, together with a rucksack-mounted solar panel, charging his Camera, Phone and Emergency GPS Communicator.

More detailed specifications and videos HERE
I managed 3 weeks in Nepal's Gokyo & Everest region in Dec 2019 with a small 260g 10600mAh power bank that gives 5V/1.8A (Micro USB / USB-C) / 5V/2.1A USB output - it was heavy enough and provided enough power for iPhone / kindle and camera battery recharge - I was able to top it up every 3 or 4 days at teahouses (for a small fee).

every gram was important (and adds up) - we could only fly with 10kg luggage for 3 weeks) and i'f be buggered carrying any more weight than was absolutely necessary at up to 5,500m - we even left the DSLRs and went for a super Canon Powershot G7 compact as we couldn't justify lugging the weight of the lenses...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back