UPDATE TO Alde 3010 Blank Control Panel Solution/Fix (1 Viewer)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
See Post #47 on original thread which is informative and very useful but beware

UPDATE APRIL 2021

Although I completed this fix, on recent information gleaned I am left wondering wether it was the right thing to do? If you complete the fix use it as a temporary fix only measure to get your boiler on again, here’s why!

I shall elaborate, I took my van to Alde yesterday for a boiler service and fluid change, on examination the engineer said he would have to fit a new PCB as I had made a modification to the board ie a push button resettable thermal fuse, as a gas safe engineer he therefore said the type approval of the boiler had been compromised and he could not work on it unless he replaced the PCB. I agreed and he carried on. (If I had just replaced the fuse like for like he would have been none the wiser, however.....)

On further investigation he said that in actual fact what I had fitted was a resettable thermal breaker (Techna T16 thermal breaker as mentioned in post #22, this is an AC breaker it is not the same as a fuse and should not be fitted, as it only trips under load and not due to the heat, it needs to tested under rigorous conditions to gain type approval

The non resettable fuse in post #1 is the one that should be used, you can get the correct one on EBay

www.ebay.co.uk

Alde 3010 Thermal fuse 91°C (AE-P-HE-00006) | eBay

We have sourced these rare 91°C types for you to replace in the boiler. Many people fit higher temperature fuses - this could cause a safety issue.
www.ebay.co.uk

The engineer further stated that if the thermal fuse has blown there has clearly been an overheat situation with the boiler and it should be investigated at the earliest possibility rather than just replace the fuse. I have to agree, here’s why......

so back to the service and fluid change, on stripping down the case of my boiler it was clear there had been a leak of glycol around the main unit causing extensive corrosion and bowing of the boiler, probably due to lack of air cushion, which had probably been caused by either an excessive over heat situation, or frost, or both. The result was I would have to renew the boiler shell at a cost of £900 odd utilising the bits off the old boiler or fit an entirely new system for £2300. I am now the proud owner of a new Alde 3020 heating system in my van!!

Lessons learned, specifically for Alde systems, but others may be similar-

1. If your boilers thermal fuse blows, find out why, even if fixing it yourself, there’s a reason!

2. Don’t fit a breaker instead of a fuse, fit the exact same as a replacement.

3. Change the Glycol every two years on older systems, 5 years with the newer glycol.

4. If your using more than an egg cup full of glycol a year (his words) find out why!

5. Renew the air cushion every 10 days of use. Switch off the water pump, Open the safety -/drain valve of the water heater (water dump) for 20 seconds or until about a litre of water drains out. This allows the air cushion to renew at the top of the tank which is essential for absorbing pressure surges. ( no I didn’t know that either)

6. Drain the water boiler every winter as well as water tank (heating will still work)

7. Bleed the system once a year. Turn heating on till warm, turn off and bleed.

So of course, if your like me and have never bothered with any of the above that’s fine, and you too could have the following items off a 2012 Alde 3010 system for sale:-

Gas Valve
Gas Burner
Glycol Pump
Combustion Fan
PCB panel complete with thermal fuse (bench tested at Alde)

If you have ANY problems with an ALDE system the guys there are only too willing to help with any queries, give them a ring, or me as I’m now an expert;)

Hope the above is of some use and may save some of you from a VERY expensive fix! :eek: (y) :rolleyes:

Elite-Elec

Free Member
Aug 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Does anyone here know the size of the capacitor that is located directly under the thermal fuse? We have a board from a 3010 and it is also missing and Alde are obviously not being helpful. They want £300 for a new board

Elite-Elec

Free Member
Aug 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Does anyone here know the size of the capacitor that is located directly under the thermal fuse? We have a board from a 3010 and it is also missing and Alde are obviously not being helpful. They want £300 for a new board

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

manze78

Free Member
Jun 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
swift 645
Hi have the same problem, put the new thermo fuse and blew again , so bridge it to see it power up control unit it did for a few seconds and then went of and the unit was clicking a lot ??? Any help what could be?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back