Unusual question for Mobility Scooter users. (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I've reached a stage where I'm now struggling moving barrows of logs, compost etc. around. I've been looking at electric wheelbarrows, but nothing really takes my fancy. I'm now thinking of buying a used mobility scooter and using that as the basis of a garden cart. The major modification would be to reverse the steering arm so that it became pedestrian controlled, (I'm assuming the existing speed control would enable it to travel at walking pace,) and then mounting a box/cage on top in place of the seat. Can anyone think of any major problems I may have in doing that?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I've reached a stage where I'm now struggling moving barrows of logs, compost etc. around. I've been looking at electric wheelbarrows, but nothing really takes my fancy. I'm now thinking of buying a used mobility scooter and using that as the basis of a garden cart. The major modification would be to reverse the steering arm so that it became pedestrian controlled, (I'm assuming the existing speed control would enable it to travel at walking pace,) and then mounting a box/cage on top in place of the seat. Can anyone think of any major problems I may have in doing that?
My only advice would be make sure what you get has 2.5 or 3" x 4 wheels ( they are the large looking blow up type ) as a minimum

1620155814908.png

It aint gonna be cheap.. Even a non runner with wrecked plastics and duff batteries average about £100

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
My only advice would be make sure what you get has 2.5 or 3" x 4 wheels ( they are the large looking blow up type ) as a minimum

View attachment 492736

It aint gonna be cheap.. Even a non runner with wrecked plastics and duff batteries average about £100
That's cheap compared to off the shelf electric barrows. I'd be looking for one with large wheels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The principle of what you want to do would work very well. Get rid of the seat and the centre of gravity is nice and low. Reverse the handlebars, which is simple and you can drive it at walking pace. I move scooters around without sitting on them every day and once you get the knack, it's very easy

I have given away scooters with trashed plastics many times, so there are freebies about.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The principle of what you want to do would work very well. Get rid of the seat and the centre of gravity is nice and low. Reverse the handlebars, which is simple and you can drive it at walking pace. I move scooters around without sitting on them every day and once you get the knack, it's very easy

I have given away scooters with trashed plastics many times, so there are freebies about.
Where was you last year when I was looking for two !!!!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would suggest a nice garden trailer with a single wheeled caravan / trailer mover
Like these that can be simply clamped to the draw bar.
A much cheaper alternative that wont need expensive batteries
Hd4e40787d664431ba656a3d0112e63f9Y.jpg_Q55.jpg

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I would suggest a nice garden trailer with a single wheeled caravan / trailer mover
Like these that can be simply clamped to the draw bar.
A much cheaper alternative that wont need expensive batteriesView attachment 492748

Tried that, main problem is it's much to slow, and re-gearing is to complicated

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
It sounds a bit Top Gear-esk. A great use of an old scooter. Mind you, you may find towing a garden trolley behind it more convenient?!

Forgot to say, post a photo of the creation please!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Where was you last year when I was looking for two !!!!
I gave 2 away last year when clearing my shed, which you would have been most welcome to

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
No mobility scooters have a diff lock so they are crap off road.

due to having a diff it very easily gets stuck, even in the dry, if one of the driven wheels gets lifted slightly due to terrain. It also has limited ground clearance and has to avoid water / rain. Snow and mud are definitely off limits !

Exceed the load rating and the main fuses pop

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

due to having a diff it very easily gets stuck, even in the dry, if one of the driven wheels gets lifted slightly due to terrain. It also has limited ground clearance and has to avoid water / rain. Snow and mud are definitely off limits !

LOL ! If anyone can mod one to use as a barrow I should think welding up the dif would be a bit of wee wee
Andddd.....every scoot I have played with that has the bigger wheels has a capacity of at least 25 stone ( 350lbs ) which is a LOT more than the average user of a garden cart is likely to load :)
Why avoid water ? You do not see scoots grinding to a halt every time it rains....

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We have several at the airport in Perth which folk use to tow their aircraft out of the hangar.

A few years ago we raced them up the runway. One “driver/pilot” was dressed as the Stig. Great use for old mobility scooters :)

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Google ‘three wheel powered carp fishing barrows’ which I think will give you exactly what you want.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
How about an electric wheelchair. Just a skeleton frame. I've stripped one down to use as a test bed for a GPS guided grass cutter!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
What about fitting a small trailer to the mobility scooter? Then you can sit on it killing two birds with one stone.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Well I finally bought one, can anyone identify it please. I THINK it's a Deluxe Model S-889NR but I'm only going on appearence. Most motor components have an individual part number, but no sign of scooter id.
scooter1.jpg
scooter2.jpg
scooter3.jpg

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I actually bought it at the beginning of summer, but I've not had time to do much so far.
I've now got a problem with it. At the weekend I thought I'd take down to the end of the garden where there's a private car park, and let the grandkids have a go on it. No problem driving it down there, but when I went to move it again there was only one brief point on the lever (wigwag?) where current flowed, and then that stopped. there is now no apparent power at all in forward, although reverse works perfectly. Do I need a new throttle assembly, or can I just replace the pot? How do I identify the type I need.

Any help gratefully received

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well I finally bought one, can anyone identify it please. I THINK it's a Deluxe Model S-889NR but I'm only going on appearence. Most motor components have an individual part number, but no sign of scooter id.
View attachment 547083View attachment 547084View attachment 547085
Errrr.. What about the rather large 'SHOP RIDER' on the back !

You can indeed just replace the pot
If you unsolder the wires at each end and measure the pot with a multimeter at those points it that will give you the resistance, and then you just have to be sure you get a linear and not logarithmic pot ( RS Components might not be the cheapest but they are good quality )

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki

Yes there are limits, but you should see where I take mine and I do push the boundaries.;)

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Check that the motor is definitely engaged. If the yellow leaver gets knocked slightly, it can cause problems. Take it out of drive, give it a push, put it back in drive.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Errrr.. What about the rather large 'SHOP RIDER' on the back !
I should have said 'I THINK it's a SHOPRIDER Deluxe Model S-889NR but I'm only going on appearance' There seem to be an awful lot of Shop rider models, which one is mine?

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Check that the motor is definitely engaged. If the yellow leaver gets knocked slightly, it can cause problems. Take it out of drive, give it a push, put it back in drive.
I'll try that, but it works perfectly in reverse

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back