Understanding battery charging system. (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hi all, I was reading our Sunlight's manual at the weekend, well lock down, it's sort of like getting some use out of the bus:rolleyes:.
It said that when on EHU the priority charging is given to the hab batteries, and a float charge is fed across to the starter battery once the hab battery has sufficient charge. Am I safe to assume that the reverse is the case and when the motor is running , the alternator electric prioritises the starter battery and when that's charged sends a float to the hab batteries ?
Secondly, as the two batteries are linked, will plugging a portable solar panel into the hab batteries initially prioritise the hab batteries and, only when their full overflow across to the starter battery?
Or !!,would it be better to attach a dedicated second fly lead [ fused] to the starter battery, and just plug the panel straight into that when required ?
Many thanks in advance.
Mike.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
If the engine is running it will charge both batteries......

When off grid and no engine running the batteries are separated, so connecting the portable solar only to the hab battery, will only charge the hab battery. (Same for the cab battery)

If your van control box has solar input, then connecting to this will charge both batteries via your van control and wiring system.

If it doesn’t then it maybe easier to install a Battery Master / CBE CSB2 type device rather than another plug in socket.

If you post the make and model of your van control panel and control box (maybe with pictures) someone will be able to advise you better.👍🏼

These two recent threads might be helpful in showing how different system work differently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BouncyBoatFolk
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
If the engine is running it will charge both batteries......

When off grid and no engine running the batteries are separated, so connecting the portable solar only to the hab battery, will only charge the hab battery. (Same for the cab battery)

If your van control box has solar input, then connecting to this will charge both batteries via your van control and wiring system.

If it doesn’t then it maybe easier to install a Battery Master / CBE CSB2 type device rather than another plug in socket.

If you post the make and model of your van control panel and control box (maybe with pictures) someone will be able to advise you better.👍🏼

These two recent threads might be helpful in showing how different system work differently.

Hi thanks, it's a Sunlight[ Hymer Dethleff group], riding on the Fiat Ducato 2.3 chassis. It has the Schualdt Elektroblock transformer/ rectifier.
Getting to the starter battery is easy, it's below the passengers foot plate, I can easily run a fly lead to below that seat where the Elektroblok lives.
Regards.
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I’m sure the newer Elektroblok’s have a dedicated connection point for solar,(which I’m sure you must have, with it saying it does smart charging of both batteries) so connecting your fly lead for the portable solar to that connection might be the best way to go to get both batteries charged.

I’m sure someone with an Elektroblok will confirm, but if you have the manual for that too, you might be able to find the socket or a diagram.👍🏼

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Which Electroblock model number is it? Manuals, including wiring diagrams are available on the Schaudt website. The site's in German, but there are English versions of the manual. You request a download, put in your email address, and they email a download link, usually within a couple of minutes.

Be careful when connecting leisure and starter batteries together. When the starter motor turns, there's a massive current from the starter battery. You want to avoid the leisure battery being connected and contributing to that massive surge. Also you want to avoid the starter battery going flat if the leisure battery is discharged. Solutions to these problems involve a relay switched by the alternator output, and resistors, diodes and other electronics.

Electroblocks usually have a connector for solar, but there are two distinct types, only one of which has a connection to the starter battery as well as the leisure battery. Alternatively you could feed the solar controller output into one of the 'Auxiliary charger' inputs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BouncyBoatFolk
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Which Electroblock model number is it? Manuals, including wiring diagrams are available on the Schaudt website. The site's in German, but there are English versions of the manual. You request a download, put in your email address, and they email a download link, usually within a couple of minutes.

Be careful when connecting leisure and starter batteries together. When the starter motor turns, there's a massive current from the starter battery. You want to avoid the leisure battery being connected and contributing to that massive surge. Also you want to avoid the starter battery going flat if the leisure battery is discharged. Solutions to these problems involve a relay switched by the alternator output, and resistors, diodes and other electronics.

Electroblocks usually have a connector for solar, but there are two distinct types, only one of which has a connection to the starter battery as well as the leisure battery. Alternatively you could feed the solar controller output into one of the 'Auxiliary charger' inputs.
Thank you, I'll get the number of the Elektroblock tomorrow. I had vaguely noticed a solar ref on the front of the unit.
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’m sure the newer Elektroblok’s have a dedicated connection point for solar,(which I’m sure you must have, with it saying it does smart charging of both batteries) so connecting your fly lead for the portable solar to that connection might be the best way to go to get both batteries charged.
All the modern Elektroblocks have connections to both batteries but to charge the starter battery you still need either a dual output Solar Regulator if you only have a single output regulator you will need a Batterymaster or CB2 relay.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back