Un-SORN'ing, is it easy ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
For those that SORN your vehicles over the winter;
How easy is it to "Un-SORN" the vehicle ?

Is it just online and instant ?
or do you have to fill in forms at wait whilst they are processed ?

Reason for asking is my tax is due at the end of the month, do I go for 6 months which will take me to the end of November, and then leave the van in winter lay up for December to Easter. But if we decide to use it over Xmas, I might want to un-SORN it at short notice

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Online.... As soon as you tax it sorn is cancelled
The later in the month you tax it the more money you lose... Taxed from 1st of current month.
Same with sorn but the earlier in the month the more money you lose... Sorned from end of current month.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Online.... As soon as you tax it sorn is cancelled
The later in the month you tax it the more money you lose... Taxed from 1st of current month.
Same with sorn but the earlier in the month the more money you lose... Sorned from end of current month.
Can you pick a forward date ?
ie, Can I log on in January and select say the 1st of April ?

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I think it is no more than 14 days in advance, tax it for the year (cheaper) then just sorn when you want to take it of the road. Do it online. You just need the long number on the front of the log book.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think it is no more than 14 days in advance, tax it for the year (cheaper) then just sorn when you want to take it of the road. Do it online. You just need the long number on the front of the log book.
Only if already taxed for that month.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When you declare SORN you only get refunded for full months....hence, sorn from last day in current month.
When taxing do it as close as possible to 1st of month... Tax begins 1st of current month.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If your vehicle has been untaxed, because you've just bought it, the tax disc has run out or a SORN is in force, you can tax from the first day of the month in which you apply. If you want the tax disc to start on the first day of the next calendar month, you cannot tax your vehicle more than two days in advance.

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Ahhh, I was not aware of that option.

Am I correct in saying that I can pay for 12 months tax
Use 6 months
SORN for 6 months
and then un-SORN and still still have 6 months tax credit ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Use 6 months
SORN for 6 months
No, you get a refund for whole months remaining from the date of sorn.... By cheque

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Use 6 months
SORN for 6 months
Yes but it will not be a credit but a cheque in the post!
Plus what pappajohn said, whole months only so need to Sorn on or before the last day of the month in which you want to use it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
DVLA aren't stupid.... They make a lot of money from folks picking the wrong time to tax and sorn..... All those part months add up.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
No. The date you go online to ā€œunsornā€ you pay from the 1st of that month. Cannot forward date it.
I un-SORNā€™ed on the evening of the last day of the April 2021 being given the option of the 1st day of the following - May or the 1st day of the existing month - April. No other option available. All you need is your V5C with the long number clearly explained on the online form after verifying that it is your vehicle. A doddle to do. You can only choose 6 months or 12 months from the start of the month offered.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I un-SORNā€™ed on the evening of the last day of the April 2021 being given the option of the 1st day of the following - May or the 1st day of the existing month - April. No other option available. All you need is your V5C with the long number clearly explained on the online form after verifying that it is your vehicle. A doddle to do. You can only choose 6 months or 12 months from the start of the month offered.
I unsorned that day too (in the morning ) but had to start 1st April. ! Maybe I missed something as I wanted to use it that day.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If you do SORN you may not be able to UNSORN for a few days. So be sure you really donā€™t want to use your vehicle. But both SORN and later UNSORN is very easy with your V5 although the later will be painfull for your plastic.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I unsorned that day too (in the morning ) but had to start 1st April. ! Maybe I missed something as I wanted to use it that day.
Yes, even one day at the end of a month means you have to pay for the whole month. I seem to remember that initially with taxing online it was said you would be able to choose the day in the month, maybe the reality is that is too complex.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back