LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Road-user charging schemes in London and Birmingham are now crossed off the political agenda until Covid-19 infection subsides.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has instructed Transport for London to suspend the capital city’s whole Congestion Charge area, as well as its controversial Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) and Low Emission Zone.

Khan says the move is targeted solely at allowing identified key workers to operate without restriction or potential financial burden, and should not be viewed as an opportunity to utilise the roads more frequently.

And in Birmingham, the City Council has instigated postponement of its own planned Clean Air Zone — set for introduction in August this year — until an unspecified date in 2021.

Waseem Zaffar, the Council’s cabinet member for transport, explained this move on economic grounds: “Covid-19 is having a profound impact on the economy of Birmingham. Businesses are focused on trying to support their employees through an extraordinary situation, rather than upgrade their vehicle fleets.”

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Khan, needs to cancel the 20mph roads, maybe nhs staff can get to work and home quicker. I'm all in favour of 20mph where required but seriously it is ridiculous on some.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Wont make the second home owners who descended here from London, go home! Unfortunately

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Khan, needs to cancel the 20mph roads, maybe nhs staff can get to work and home quicker. I'm all in favour of 20mph where required but seriously it is ridiculous on some.
Would think the journey times travelling at 20mph would probably be a couple of minutes on a half hour journey..but how many lives would it save if involved in an accident with a pedestrian..Should be far more 20mph zones in towns villages and cities.BUSBY.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Busby, I'm with you, many more roads should be 20mph, just not on roads that even in London are quiet at 3am.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Think that the m25 is close enough for anybody to London
have to disagree family live about 4 miles form the M25 but DIL key worker, not willing to sit in a crowded tube train to get to work at the moment. this will make a big difference as she will be able to drive to work keeping her, and her family as safe as she can.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Surely they will do anyway with so little traffic around.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There is Nothing (well very little) more boring and unnecessary than a straight bit of road at 3am with a speed limit of 20MPH!. And even worse, Road Humps!. Discretionary use of low limits at High density periods and outside schools etc; OK. But FGS switch them off over night!. I am NOT advocating 70mph here just some common sense. ( a commodity in VERY short supply in this day and age). "Nanny state rules OK!".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back