LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Any idea why my tyres have two figures for the load rating ?

Mine are load rated at 118/116 and I've never noticed that second figure before.

This is relevant, as to uprate my van to its maximum, I need tyres with a minimum rating of 118. If the first figure is the one I use, then all is good, if the second figure, or an average of them both is what I use, then all is not so good !

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
118 is the load rating for single tyre axles, 116 is the load rating for twin tyre axels (i.e. two wheels at each end of the axle).

Not sure that I've explained that particularly wello_O

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
118 is the load rating for single tyre axles, 116 is the load rating for twin tyre axels (i.e. two wheels at each end of the axle).

Not sure that I've explained that particularly wello_O

Mine is single wheeled which means that the first figure of 118 applies and satisfies the conditions for the uprate that I require, thank you.

Is it just the way my mind works, but would you not expect the higher load rating to apply to the twin wheeled axles, with more tyres to take the strain ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is it just the way my mind works, but would you not expect the higher load rating to apply to the twin wheeled axles, with more tyres to take the strain ?

The twin wheel rear axle gets the load applicable to 116 rating x 4 so yes nearly double the single fit, the double wheel rating is downgraded slightly from single wheel fitment as sometimes as a double one of the tyres could be subjected to more than half the load (over rough ground, mounting kerbs or just cornering loads).

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
The twin wheel axle configuration has the problem that one wheel on one side may deflate without being immediately obvious - so would have to rely on just one tyre on that side. The lower figure gives a modicum of leeway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back