Winnersh
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Since 2014
Hi,
I am at Truckfrest and someone is selling
Oko tyre sealant that they pump into your tyres it prevent future punctures and your tyre deflating
At a cost of £30.00 per tyre.

Had anyone got experience of this ?comments would be welcome

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've run it in motorbikes in the past. I have an Oko equivalent in a trailer now that had a pinhole leak in the steel rim. £30 a pop seems a bit expensive to me.
If you do get it fitted, warn the tyre fitter next time you get a tyre changed, they don't appreciate looking like an extra from a bukkake movie when they take the valve core out !

OP
OP
Stumpie
May 7, 2014
Winnersh
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you ,what’s your equivalent?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use it often . buy it in farmers merchants about 8 quid a litre . works great.
ideal for small leaks etc .
when going to the desert in africa its a must. you get loads punctures there while driving in the sand .

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
And of course it does nothing for sidewalk damage. If it seals a puncture, I assume you remove the foreign bony and let it fill the hole. How big a hole does it seal and are there any speed limitations afterwards. At £30 a pop someone is making a huge profit, to pay for their exhibition stand

Having said that I have Slime in my bike tyres, a bottle for both wheels cost £5, that prevent the once a week puncture I got from going down a lane near us that had bushes that dropped tiny hair like needles.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just make sure that as soon as it is put in the wheels are kept rotating to even it out. Anyone on a trade stand that offers this to a stationary vehicle is taking the wee.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Used to sell and insert a similar product. Caused many of my customers and therefore me a lot of problems. Nobody I know will repair punctures in tyres that have been treated. Plus as said by @laneside It must be applied very carefully and £30 is too much.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
And of course it does nothing for sidewalk damage. If it seals a puncture, I assume you remove the foreign bony and let it fill the hole. How big a hole does it seal and are there any speed limitations afterwards. At £30 a pop someone is making a huge profit, to pay for their exhibition stand

Having said that I have Slime in my bike tyres, a bottle for both wheels cost £5, that prevent the once a week puncture I got from going down a lane near us that had bushes that dropped tiny hair like needles.

You don't get many bits stuck in your tyre - if you do, it seals anyway. This stuff, if it is like the stuff that I used to use, will seal small holes in tyres and the tread as soon as they happen. Larger holes might leak but at a slower rate. It allowed us to get off a motorway when we realised that our tyre had a slash and was deflating. I would put similar stuff in my tyres but the OKO stuff on Ebay isn't recommended for road use:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in the desert you get desert thorns that live just under the surface of the sand . get loads of them in the lighter van tyres . trucks arent so bad as stronger tyres . but gets used alot in tractors etc .
yes they say not for m,way sometimes not for road use .
bit like tyre sealant repairs with the rubber strips pushed in from outside they are only temporary . they are . fitted one in 2009, next year i will be changing the tyre . as its getting bald so yes they are only temporary.
if going through the desert or the tracks in africa always wise to carry them as well.
yes repairing later is not easy if oko is used . but have had the old fashioned heated vulcanizer repairs done in morocco even when i had used oko to get to the garage .
mind this was a side wall repair they did .

Reactions: f6c
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had an old trailer that I used to take stuff to the tip some years back. I might use it every couple of months and always had to inflate the tyres before use. Old tyres and rusty rims dont make a good seal. Put a bit of gunk in each tyre and gave a spin, all leakage stopped.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you have considered tyre pressure monitors it’s a no no.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
You don't get many bits stuck in your tyre - if you do, it seals anyway. This stuff, if it is like the stuff that I used to use, will seal small holes in tyres and the tread as soon as they happen. Larger holes might leak but at a slower rate. It allowed us to get off a motorway when we realised that our tyre had a slash and was deflating.

Never had any small holes in the tread or at the rim. Define a larger hole, the only one I’ve ever had was in the sidewall and big enough, when it went off like a shotgun, to put your fist in. Inner dually, never saw it coming. Slowly kept going to safety on the remaining wheel.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Thank you ,what’s your equivalent?

I got it from an independent local tyre fitter, tbh, I think it was a generic brand that was rebadged to suit individual retailers. Never had a problem that needed a tyre repair as I think it's good up to about 6mm diameter, but unless you're really unlucky, you won't often get that size of a hole in a tyre, even a 6mm diameter screw, once pulled out of the tyre, doesn't leave a 6mm hole.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Never had any small holes in the tread or at the rim. Define a larger hole, the only one I’ve ever had was in the sidewall and big enough, when it went off like a shotgun, to put your fist in. Inner dually, never saw it coming. Slowly kept going to safety on the remaining wheel.

The larger slash that we had was around 6 cm on the sidwall.

I use to get a puncture twice a year on my drive to work (along a windy country lane). After adding the goo, I didn't get any punctures.

OP
OP
Stumpie
May 7, 2014
Winnersh
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you all so much for your responses . It gives us an idea ,clearly this is the wrong time to buy ,as the van is in long grass and possibly stuck. Something to think about.
I knew that the forum would give us an overview.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I wouldn’t bother with it due to motorhome tyres being of a thicker construction, so far less likely to get a standard type puncture, and only suffer from more major punctures, which the additive won’t be able to deal with. It’s great stuff in wheel barrows, ride on mowers, and bike tyres, but not a motorhome for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back