Tyre pressure and temperature (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The target tyre pressure is only correct at around 20C so I found this chart useful for setting tyre pressures when the temperature is either cold like now or very much hotter as we hope to find when away.

SmartTireComp.jpg

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
You also need to take into account that tyre pressure increases as the tyres warm up. I always set tyre pressure a bit lower than needed as within a couple of miles it has risen to required pressure.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
You also need to take into account that tyre pressure increases as the tyres warm up. I always set tyre pressure a bit lower than needed as within a couple of miles it has risen to required pressure.
Don’t the people who recommend the tyre pressures take that into account I.e. stipulate the pressure when cold?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think a few heads may explode if we add 'define cold' into the tyre pressures debate 😂😂
Maybe. That chart defines 'cold' as 18 degrees C (65 degrees F). That's why the line is highlighted, and you'll see the pressures are the same as the top line.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Don’t do this to me.........I still haven’t worked out what tyre pressures to run on in normal conditions! :oops: ;)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Nowadays lots of vehicles have TPMS fitted, so people notice the rise in pressure with temperature much more.

Suppose you start with a tyre inflated to the correct pressure at the manufacturer's stated temperature. It would help to have a chart that showed what the pressure would be if the temperature varied. If the tyre pressure stayed on the chart, no air has been lost or added, so no need to do anything. If the pressure is lower than the chart, then it needs topping up to whatever the chart says.

Here's a chart like the OP, but with a temperature column more like Northern Europe, less like Florida.
The 'cold' pressures are at 20 deg C (not 18 as in the OP).
TyrePressureVsTemp.jpg

Last edited:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
This is the problem I’ve got.......at normal ‘cold’ pressures.

Fiat sticker on Van......Front 5bar (72.5) Rear 5.5bar (79.8).

Converters Owners Manual.......Front 4.75bar (69) Rear 5.5bar (79.8).

Continental Tyres........Front 3.75bar (54.4) Rear 5bar (72.5).

:unsure:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I just use the Continental tyre chart for the size and load rating of my tyres at my axle weight, or I did ;) but now in the new van I would if the TPMS allowed it so I am actually a bit over, over is better than under other than for your fillings but full air suspension sorts that out.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Nowadays lots of vehicles have TPMS fitted, so people notice the rise in pressure with temperature much more.

Suppose you start with a tyre inflated to the correct pressure at the manufacturer's stated temperature. It would help to have a chart that showed what the pressure would be if the temperature varied. If the tyre pressure stayed on the chart, no air has been lost or added, so no need to do anything. If the pressure is lower than the chart, then it needs topping up to whatever the chart says.

Here's a chart like the OP, but with a temperature column more like Northern Europe, less like Florida.
The 'cold' pressures are at 20 deg C (not 18 as in the OP).
View attachment 467333
I don’t expect a problem with TPMS and cold tyres.
1) the tolerance set will be a range that covers most temperature changes.
2) The tyre material and core temperatures will soon warm up.

But in the UK maybe I’ve yet to get the cold & hot extremes to go out of range on all my vehicles I’ve owned with TPMS

My MH had a TyrePal fitted & I see the pressure & temps rise quickly before stabilising on a journey from cold.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I just use the Continental tyre chart for the size and load rating of my tyres at my axle weight, or I did ;) but now in the new van I would if the TPMS allowed it so I am actually a bit over, over is better than under other than for your fillings but full air suspension sorts that out.

On the Continental Chart the rears aren’t too far apart, but the fronts are way down on the other two.

I’ve decided on a compromise......4.25bar front and 5bar rear.

Not got a factory fitted TPMS, so have just purchased a Tyrepal Solar.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Dumb newby question - is that telling me that I should let air out to get from 87psi back down to 80psi when it's 40C?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I don’t expect a problem with TPMS and cold tyres.
1) the tolerance set will be a range that covers most temperature changes.
2) The tyre material and core temperatures will soon warm up.

But in the UK maybe I’ve yet to get the cold & hot extremes to go out of range on all my vehicles I’ve owned with TPMS

My MH had a TyrePal fitted & I see the pressure & temps rise quickly before stabilising on a journey from cold.
I'm not suggesting it's a massive problem. However the tolerance range on the acceptable pressure is very wide. So if you get a slow puncture when the tyre is hot, it won't trigger the alarm until a lot of air has been lost.

An alert driver might notice the pressure was below 'normal' for that temperature. But if the MH is new to you, the 'normal' behaviour might be unknown to you. This chart tells you what is normal.

TPMS gives you the data to be able to see this kind of problem in its early stages, if you know what to look for

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Dumb newby question - is that telling me that I should let air out to get from 87psi back down to 80psi when it's 40C?
No, it's saying if you set the pressure to 80psi at 20C, then 87psi at 40C or 74psi at 0C is perfectly normal, and no air has been lost/added. No need to do anything.

Also if you're checking the tyre pressures at 0C, you should set them to 74psi, so that they are at 80psi at 20C.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
No, it's saying if you set the pressure to 80psi at 20C, then 87psi at 40C or 74psi at 0C is perfectly normal, and no air has been lost/added. No need to do anything.

Also if you're checking the tyre pressures at 0C, you should set them to 74psi, so that they are at 80psi at 20C.
Thank you.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Just to be clear, is the temperature we are discussing the ambient temperature in the shade or the actual tyre temperature?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Just to be clear, is the temperature we are discussing the ambient temperature in the shade or the actual tyre temperature?
The actual tyre temperature. To be precise, the temperature of the air inside the tyre.

Jun 9, 2016
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
Anyone have a copy of the continental chart they can share please? Or a link to it? Thanks in advance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back