Two antennas, one tv. (1 Viewer)

Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
planning a conversion
I’m mounting an omni tv aerial for off grid use on my van but also having a tv aerial inlet installed for when I’m on site.
Is it possible for me to set up something so that I don’t have to switch the aerial out of the back of the tv every time I want to change the source?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I swap my aerial connection at the status booster/splitter. That way either the van aerial or site one is split and boosted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I’m mounting an omni tv aerial for off grid use on my van but also having a tv aerial inlet installed for when I’m on site.
Is it possible for me to set up something so that I don’t have to switch the aerial out of the back of the tv every time I want to change the source?
I had the same problem but had 3 possible signal sources. I took a very basic approach and used a couple of cheap Y connectors taped up stuffed in a cupboard with one final cable to the telly. Funnily enough we now almost always use a Firestick via data so wasn't really worth the bother.

OP
OP
M
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
planning a conversion
I had the same problem but had 3 possible signal sources. I took a very basic approach and used a couple of cheap Y connectors taped up stuffed in a cupboard with one final cable to the telly. Funnily enough we now almost always use a Firestick via data so wasn't really worth the bother.
the third source a satellite?

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
that could work. thanks for that. just need to figure out of itd work with a booster or at what point id add the booster in.
I need to point out that is a switch for rf systems with 50ohm impedance, tv systems are 75ohm impedance so would introduce loss and noise due to impedance mismatch, the connectors are also N-type connectors not belling lee and as such I dont think Ive ever seen N-type to TV adaptor.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I need to point out that is a switch for rf systems with 50ohm impedance, tv systems are 75ohm impedance so would introduce loss and noise due to impedance mismatch, the connectors are also N-type connectors not belling lee and as such I dont think Ive ever seen N-type to TV adaptor.
I think the suggested device is more for a radio transmitter.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I think the suggested device is more for a radio transmitter.

I thought that but didn’t realise it would cause noise interference, there must be something similar that allows tv signals to be switched, I know they did them for old games consoles but haven’t seen a modern version when searching.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I thought that but didn’t realise it would cause noise interference, there must be something similar that allows tv signals to be switched, I know they did them for old games consoles but haven’t seen a modern version when searching.
A combiner would likely be cheaper and not require you to manually switch. It could have issues with multipath propagation or phase effects, but would probably work in most (but not all) cases.

OP
OP
M
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
planning a conversion
would this be better?

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Yes that would work but it will have loss, nearly all do, sometimes that loss is over 3dB, that in rf signal terms is half the power, so you throw away half the signal.
With the old analogue tv 3dB would hardly be noticeable, however 3dB on Freeview could be the difference between picture or no picture.
Personally I swap the aerial lead over, its not something I find I have to do very often.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Don't expect good results from an omni aerial, they are fine when there is a decent signal, but bloody awful in poor reception area's.
That's why they're cheaper & rare to see on a modern motorhome.
I have direct line of sight to a decent mast & the omni which came with the van receives diddlysquat.
I've just purchased a Vision Plus 570 with the DAB diplexer & even inside the van with no booster it picks up perfect TV reception.

OP
OP
M
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
planning a conversion
Don't expect good results from an omni aerial, they are fine when there is a decent signal, but bloody awful in poor reception area's.
That's why they're cheaper & rare to see on a modern motorhome.
I have direct line of sight to a decent mast & the omni which came with the van receives diddlysquat.
I've just purchased a Vision Plus 570 with the DAB diplexer & even inside the van with no booster it picks up perfect TV reception.
would a booster to my set up make a difference?

im not set on an omni aerial tbh. i just seem to see more of them.

Last edited:

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Mine has a standard digital aerial on the roof and receives a great signal almost everywhere

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
would a booster to my set up make a difference?

im not set on an omni aerial tbh. i just seem to see more of them.
A booster isn't really helpful with omni directional aerials. they're sort of jack of all trades & master of none.
If you make camp in a highly populated area, the signal should be fine, but trust me, the minute you stray away from the main areas, the reception will be rubbish.
Like I've said, I can actually see our local transmitter, its about 4miles from my house & the omni gets nothing.
This has been the case with all omni aerials since I moved here 22yrs ago & there have been a few on my various different vehicles.
My new aerial was laid on its side in the motorhome & surprised me with a perfect TV reception, a booster is always favorable though.

The best digital reception so far was a Teleco on my Sprinter, but I've decided to go with Vision Plus for my DAB needs.

OP
OP
M
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
planning a conversion
A booster isn't really helpful with omni directional aerials. they're sort of jack of all trades & master of none.
If you make camp in a highly populated area, the signal should be fine, but trust me, the minute you stray away from the main areas, the reception will be rubbish.
Like I've said, I can actually see our local transmitter, its about 4miles from my house & the omni gets nothing.
This has been the case with all omni aerials since I moved here 22yrs ago & there have been a few on my various different vehicles.
My new aerial was laid on its side in the motorhome & surprised me with a perfect TV reception, a booster is always favorable though.

The best digital reception so far was a Teleco on my Sprinter, but I've decided to go with Vision Plus for my DAB needs.
thanks for the tip. Im going to leave it a bit now i think. See how i get on just streaming and see how much im actually going to be doing it and how much data ill use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back