LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
On our 2006 Flair 8000i, can anyone tell me please if the TV aerial is built into the roof construction, as I believe is the case in some Hymers, and if it is, how is it powered? There is no TV signal from either of the 2 x TV points, despite using the antenna power option on the TV settings.

If I plug in a portable aerial to the TV, I get a signal, albeit not a very good one. The separate satellite system is working fine.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I haven't come across any motorhome with a TV aerial in the roof. I can't imagine how one would work. My Hymer had what looked like a radio whip aerial that had a TV output. Are there any TV sockets outside the van?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Jock

On our N&B there isn’t an aerial, nor is one offered as an option. They only seemed to offer different satellite options.

Our Carthago had one, it was combined with the radio aerial

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nothing built in Jock as far as I know, just the portable one which as you say is variable in its reception but the best position was often wedged into the skylight above the front bed as it was a perfect fit.

Martin

Just to add the "antenna power option" just powers the portable Avtex one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
First of all, thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated. (y)

Are there any TV sockets outside the van?
None at all Tony.

Jock

On our N&B there isn’t an aerial, nor is one offered as an option. They only seemed to offer different satellite options.

Our Carthago had one, it was combined with the radio aerial
I think that seems to be the answer Robert.

Nothing built in Jock as far as I know, just the portable one which as you say is variable in its reception but the best position was often wedged into the skylight above the front bed as it was a perfect fit.

Martin

Just to add the "antenna power option" just powers the portable Avtex one.
I would stick with that arrangement Martin, but the signal is a bit hit and miss, however, once popped out onto the roof, things improve substantially........................but I don't want something that tall as a semi permanent fixture on the roof. :( I am very likely to forget it is up there. :LOL:

Assuming that the stem aerial above the N/S cab roof is FM only, I am looking at a dedicated DAB TV antenna with a rubber coated magnetic base. I just need to find a round piece of metal to sikaflex to the roof which won't rust or corrode, but which the mag mount will react with. Maybe something with a ceramic or enamel coating.

I think Jock is being influenced by another thread where someone suggested that the roof was a TV antenna on a Carthago, I think. Total B******* so I just moved on.
I've not seen that one yet Michael, but yes, along a similar vein. :(

Cheers,

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
First of all, thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated. (y)

None at all Tony.

I think that seems to be the answer Robert.

I would stick with that arrangement Martin, but the signal is a bit hit and miss, however, once popped out onto the roof, things improve substantially........................but I don't want something that tall as a semi permanent fixture on the roof. :( I am very likely to forget it is up there. :LOL:

Assuming that the stem aerial above the N/S cab roof is FM only, I am looking at a dedicated DAB TV antenna with a rubber coated magnetic base. I just need to find a round piece of metal to sikaflex to the roof which won't rust or corrode, but which the mag mount will react with. Maybe something with a ceramic or enamel coating.

I've not seen that one yet Michael, but yes, along a similar vein. :(

Cheers,

Yes Jock, FM only(y) I am going through similar thought processes with the Palace in that I don't want an aerial on the roof so trying to find something that I can hide inside a front locker and it might "see through" the GRP front cap.

Martin

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Yes Jock, FM only(y) I am going through similar thought processes with the Palace in that I don't want an aerial on the roof so trying to find something that I can hide inside a front locker and it might "see through" the GRP front cap.

Martin
Good luck with that project Martin. (y)

Cheers,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I haven't come across any motorhome with a TV aerial in the roof. I can't imagine how one would work. My Hymer had what looked like a radio whip aerial that had a TV output. Are there any TV sockets outside the van?
All Hymers used to have a TV aerial built into the overcab roof, they didn't work that well in weaker signal areas, they changed to a rooftop aerial in 2016.
I think Jock is being influenced by another thread where someone suggested that the roof was a TV antenna on a Carthago, I think. Total B******* so I just moved on.
You shouldn't dissmiss things so easily Michael.
Hymer like Carthago use a small rooftop whip aerial. On our Hymer one does FM, DAB & TV and it works very well on all three.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
All Hymers used to have a TV aerial built into the overcab roof, they didn't work that well in weaker signal areas, they changed to a rooftop aerial in 2016.

Hymer like Carthago use a small rooftop whip aerial. On our Hymer one does FM, DAB & TV and it works very well on all three.
Sorry the post I read suggested that the "roof" was the antenna, which is how I read Jocks enquiry, now whilst I could accept that maybe it formed the back plane, although if it was an aluminium or GRp roof that would be a test, I could not see that on its own it was one. However if you have a whip antenna stuck on the roof I am not minded to see that as built into the roof. But maybe semantics on my part.🤔

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

My 2008 didn't. It had a whip on the roof above the A post. 3 co-axs labelled FM, TV, GPS came out of the box underneath.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
JockandRita i bought one of these on a recommendation from a funster. I haven’t tried it on a trip yet but it worked very well in my area When I tried it in the van. I don’t get very good reception on my loft Ariel in my home where I live so I was surprised it work well... and at the price it’s worth trying...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=281492704732

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
jock on our van (Hymer) you can turn the tv aerial on or off with the remote. Can't remember what the screen looks like bur will check for you if its relevant. We have no visible tv aerial.
Oooops just noticed you may already know this.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
JockandRita i bought one of these on a recommendation from a funster. I haven’t tried it on a trip yet but it worked very well in my area When I tried it in the van. I don’t get very good reception on my loft Ariel in my home where I live so I was surprised it work well... and at the price it’s worth trying...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=281492704732

I have a Necvox in my van which has always worked really well

I bought the August one that you linked to for home and found it only received about half the channels compared to the Necvox

I questioned the ebay seller and he told me 'it depends on where you live' and gave me a full refund

Hope your one works & mine was faulty - if not try Necvox (I now have 2)

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

Yes, I have bought similar Garry, in the form of the Sniper. I also went for the SLX Booster, which seems to give better results than the 5v power source from the TV settings.
Testing out both items yesterday on different areas of the MH roof, gave me totals of 15, 39, and 80 DTV channels respectively, varying between the Waltham (East Mids) and Belmont (East Yorks) transmitters.
We are right on the edge of the reception area for 3 x transmitters, but nothing picked up from the Sandy one.
That experiment was in a housing estate, so out in an open area, I'd hope to get a better result.

jock on our van (Hymer) you can turn the tv aerial on or off with the remote. Can't remember what the screen looks like bur will check for you if its relevant. We have no visible tv aerial.
Oooops just noticed you may already know this.
Yes Hilary, it was your MH I had in mind, after our efforts at Pickering to help you get a signal, ie, no sign of an antenna or aerial. :whatthe:

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back