Truma or what (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
That's good advice thanks. Ive tried to measure how much I use on an average shower but my figures must be completely wrong as im getting approx 65lt/min which is why I am battling to understand how 10l is enough. BTW ill have 1000l fresh water on board to shower......etc.

OP
OP
L

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Nostrovia, bought the Truma 6E from The Caravan Centre. Thanks for pointing me in their direction. Also they are good to deal with. Collected it from them and they gave me a few extra bits. Got to fit it now. Thanks again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
[QUOTE="ericroy, post: 3482055, member: Typical gas cost is £8-10 per year which also includes cooking.

[/QUOTE]
Cant be right. I reckon on 1-2L aday which would be £50p to £1 a day, A lot more in the winter.

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Blimey, that's a ton of water. :ROFLMAO:
If we both have a shower our daily consumption is 35-40 Lt but we only have a 160 Lt tank.

Yes its a U1700L Unimog, weight is not to much of an issue. Will be spending 2 years driving around the world and some of it will be in very remote areas.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The prime function of the Truma combi is space heating. If you don't need space heating, or intend to do that another way a heater dedicated to water only may be OK. The linked model has a max output of 10kW (the Truma is less) but that's not a lot if the incoming water is very cold. Using the Truma, it can heat a shower's-worth of water beforehand (in its own time) and get it up to a known temperature before you start. Once you start drawing water it'll try to keep up.
When on a site, I'd get chatting with other folk there and ask them how they manage (I'd expect most to have Truma but they may not all be happy about it).
If you have separate heaters, assuming you will have space heating, i think the weight and space of two units may exceed that of a Truma. The 10litres could be dumped before moving if you wanted to keep weight down.
If you plan to wild camp, you'll soon get used to managing on frugal amounts of water (because you'll need to). All the water you consume will also need to be dumped at some time.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I seem to have been a bit behind the posts. Not familiar with heavy vehicles but 1000 litres is a lot to carry. We had 300 litres for while, which was nice, but can now manage with only 110 (max). I'd put the water is in separate, linked tanks to stop it sloshing around too much. Even on a big truck, I wouldn't like that amount of inertia moving around the bus.
Have fun and take care. Travel within your means. Everything is finite, especially beer.

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
Cant be right. I reckon on 1-2L aday which would be £50p to £1 a day, A lot more in the winter.
Well I am sure we can’t be THAT much cleverer - so there must be another explanation. We only use our MH for 50 nights per year (from Jan to Dec) and have a compressor fridge. Could that explain it?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Well I am sure we can’t be THAT much cleverer - so there must be another explanation. We only use our MH for 50 nights per year (from Jan to Dec) and have a compressor fridge. Could that explain it?
Probably explains it. Our biggest gas guzzler is the fridge in the summer. Its a big one with a separate freezer and keeping everything frozen in temperatures of 30+ does use up the gas. Other main user with heating off is the water heater for showers etc.

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
Nostrovia, bought the Truma 6E from The Caravan Centre. Thanks for pointing me in their direction. Also they are good to deal with. Collected it from them and they gave me a few extra bits. Got to fit it now. Thanks again
Any issue's with the Truma heater from the caravan centre? I take it, it was a genuine Truma combi?
spoke to the guy from the Caravan centre a few days ago and he sounded spot on very helpful on the phone, thinking about picking one up, just checking all was ok for you?

OP
OP
L

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
The people working there are really helpful. I collected mine and was given credit/ money back for the delivery cost ( can’t remember if I bought something or the money was returned to my card). Never thought about it being fake, it looks like a Truma. I haven’t fitted it yet so can’t confirm that. If you’re concerned about it being fake, pay with a credit card it might protect your money. I didn’t have any issues at all.

Suvvi

Free Member
Sep 14, 2018
East Lothian
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer conversion
Exp
Caravan's and tents to date..
I fitted a Truma ultrastore for the hot water and a Propex for the warm air heating for cost and space reasons. I fitted the propex hs2000 under the raised floor of my boxer build and the truma ultrastor is significantly smaller than the propex malaga. They both appear to be easy on the gas which I have installed a 25l gassit underslung.

A word of warning, truma standard fittings are 10mm water pipe and not 12, so you will need some 10mm pipe and adapters to make it fit what everyone else consders standard (Shurflo, Fiamma, Barrat, the folk that make red and blue camper water pipe!)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Hate diesel heaters! They are noisy and smelly! Have had them on two vans but never again. The exhaust might be on the opposite side to the door but if the wind blows the wrong way, the fumes enter when the door is opened which is a no-no for asthma suffers.
I would second that, plus you need thick wiring to them so they will start reliably.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I had to remove our old van shower during damp repairs and never got round to refitting it. We found we could have a good shower using a garden pump up spray bottle with a flexible hose. Remove the end spray fitting and fill with 5 litres of warm water, get wet, soap up, rinse off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back