Truma Heating - A Basic question. (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
We have a Truma unit in our Auto-trail V-line which supplies both hot water and the heating, either separately or on together, and there is always water in the vehicle when we are away.
My question is - can we put the heating on (either gas or electric) without water being in the system?
As the van has been drained down whilst sitting on the driveway, we want to go out in it over the weekend to have breakfast sitting by the local river, and obviously being this time of year, will probably need a bit of heating on.
Should I put some water in, or is it ok to operate the heater only Whilst no water in it.
Sorry for the basic question, but best to ask before doing anything stupidšŸ™ˆšŸ‘
Many thanks.

Jul 20, 2018
Bridport Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 655
Exp
Trailer tent for 10 years Motorhome since 2018
Assuming you havenā€™t drained the boiler, yellow tab leaver on water pipe?

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for all the repliesšŸ‘
yes boiler also drained down, as I always drain the whole system.
So, thatā€™s saves a job of filling water tank before we go out.
Just love all of the instant help and advice this site providesšŸ‘šŸ‘

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I have recently replaced my 2 x 230v, 900w elements in my Truma Combi 4E and can assure you the water is separate to the heating elements so you will do NO damage running the heating dry. (y)

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
I have recently replaced my 2 x 230v, 900w elements in my Truma Combi 4E and can assure you the water is separate to the heating elements so you will do NO damage running the heating dry. (y)
Just out of interest, how long do these elements last? I appreciate it depends on usage etc, but are they an item that generally last a long time?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Would you also need to ensure you tank heaters are turned off, if you have emptied the hot water tank?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just out of interest, how long do these elements last? I appreciate it depends on usage etc, but are they an item that generally last a long time?
Ours is 16 years old, still quite efficient...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Puzzled here, do you not need to be plugged in to 240v to have the heater in electric mode :unsure:
Yes, you are right, but was thinking more for using the gas when away from home, but also, if we wanted to put the heating on for any reason whilst at home, could then hook up, without having to fill the water tank first.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Our Savannah is on a 10 plate so now 11 years old. We have owned it for the last 5 years so not sure how much time the 230v elements were used but we have used them a good bit.
For those unsure,, the water is held in a totally separate water jacket/tank with the gas tube running down the centre and the 230v elements surrounding it in an aluminium heat exchange jacket., thus the water is heated indirectly. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back