LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok, I have a Truma gas water heater fitted..
It takes for ever to heat the water and eats gas at a scary rate.( this, even after fitting a new burner )

Is there any reason anyone can think of that I should not take the thing apart, solder in a nice big screw threaded ring to take a small ( say 800w ) mains element from a kettle, along with a thermostatic cut out ?

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi first off your water heater shouldnt be perfoming in that way. Is your mh under warranty, have it looked at.

As far as modifying it, just from a safety point of view you would need to be proficient with gas appliances, and be aware of the way in which your water heater is designed to operate. It may have an impact upon your insurance.

There will be others along that have more knowledge than me.

Best of Luck

Jim :Smile:

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
My parents have a gas only water heater in their CI van (!)

They reckon they can get a "cover" for it which is 240v and heats up. Much like F1 tyre warmers!!! No idea about any more info, but this may be useful to you.

As an aside, if you are a proficient DIYer why not ditch it and stick in a propper 240/gas one?

We have a 240v/Gas and can use either method (or both) to heat the water. On gas, we just put the gas on for maybe 20m (?) to heat it up enough (13L?). Not quick on gas but not works fine.

HTH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you do not say witch model but my trauma is gas only but it has space to convert to gas/electric operation,all I would need is the electric element about £40 I am told,but never bothered me.It takes about as long as to make and drink a coffee to get hot water on gas:thumb:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ok, I have a Truma gas water heater fitted..
It takes for ever to heat the water and eats gas at a scary rate.( this, even after fitting a new burner )

Is there any reason anyone can think of that I should not take the thing apart, solder in a nice big screw threaded ring to take a small ( say 800w ) mains element from a kettle, along with a thermostatic cut out ?

You may have scale in the tank.. consider descaling before modifying or buying a tank jacket..

As an aside, the Atwood water heaters fitted to RVs are electrified by fitting a heater into the drain bunk with a thermostat strapped to the tank ..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They reckon they can get a "cover" for it which is 240v and heats up. Much like F1 tyre warmers!!! No idea about any more info, but this may be useful to you.

HTH

cant see the point in a heated cover/blanket as my water heater already has insulation in the form of a yellow foam skin like on your domestic immersion heater tank :thumb::thumb: if this insulation is any good it would prevent the heat getting into the tank just as it prevents heat escaping.
john.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Under warranty ? Well I guess about 20 years ago in Germany it probably had one ::bigsmile:
The water heater was fitted last January before I took delivery of the motor by a firm in Norwich who was supposed to be proficient but in all honesty simply cocked the whole job up..
I do not believe it is scaled up but of course anything is possible.. I know the unit is quite an old one ( had to sort of take the burner to someone who matched it up, but apparently it is quite a common unit )
There does not seem to be a model number on it anywhere but I will take another look at it tomorrow..
Doubt the truth of the cylinder wrap..The wrap would have to be thermally coupled ( i.e. in solid and close coupling ) .. Thinking about it, I suppose you could actually do something with a thing like an electric blanket but it would be fairly inefficient to say the least ! :Eeek:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hey John, Maybe you forgot to put on a full bottle?

More of that red memory liquid may help. You may even remember to bring your bike keys:Doh:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Still canna find any numbers on the thing at all.. Bummer.
Bemeup person... Keys ?? Bike ?? May I just say wibble and point out that I DID remember to take the motorhome .. a Major step forward !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Right.. an update and some info relating to this.
To start with the original question was can the thing be upgraded to a G E version.
Speaking to the Truma folk at the show ( very nice peeps who had time to talk and offer info / insite ) it seems that a good percentage of the Truma range CAN be upgraded as they often use the same shell for both types.. Simply putting a blanking plate where the electric heating element normally goes.

But !! As soon as I mentioned the colour of the cover ( that keeps all the insulation in place etc ) they looked at one and other and said no chance !
Apparently it isd a mk 1 and def not really a viable proposition for upgrade..
Further, it seems ( reading between the lines a little ) that the original mk 1 model was indeed total crap and DID use a shed load of gas ( and take ages ! ) to heat the water up..

So there we have it. If you have a Truma in a black shroud the best advice is to dump it and get something else !
I have just bought a 2nd hand G E Truma from fleabay at a reasonable price..

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
To start with the original question was can the thing be upgraded to a G E version.
Speaking to the Truma folk at the show ( very nice peeps who had time to talk and offer info / insite ) it seems that a good percentage of the Truma range CAN be upgraded as they often use the same shell for both types.. Simply putting a blanking plate where the electric heating element normally goes.

But !! As soon as I mentioned the colour of the cover ( that keeps all the insulation in place etc ) they looked at one and other and said no chance !
Further, it seems ( reading between the lines a little ) that the original mk 1 model was indeed total crap and DID use a shed load of gas ( and take ages ! ) to heat the water up..

So there we have it. If you have a Truma in a black shroud the best advice is to dump it and get something else !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And the story ends ..
Bought a very late Truma gas/mains electric unit from fleabay for £200.00.
Removed the old one dropped in the new in about an hour.. Longest part of the job was enlarging the hole in the panelling to take both the gas AND electric on off switch unit.. An easy job for most but wood and me are somewhat at loggerheads.
usually whenever I try and do anything with wood it looks as if there has been a BIG argument and the wood is the looser ! :Sad:
Fortunately this time I made a good job of it :thumb:
The actual mechanics of the job was amazingly easy, being pretty much a straight forward unbolt / unscrew, rebolt and rescrew ( if you see what I mean ! )

Oh and for anyone wanting help with 'things Truma', they have a most excellent technical help desk.. chap new his stuff and was most helpful ( I need to check the polarity of the 12v wires )
Truma tech help desk can be got on 01283 586020

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Well done John ...

Well done John, I must say I was impressed with you having a VACUUM CLEANER in the camper:thumb:, presumably Mo came out and used that complicated bit of kit, Health & Safety and all that:Blush:, Regards Richard

S

stagman

Deleted User

Very interesting reading.My mate phoned me today complaining about the heating on his 1997 hymer which he has just bought and the complaints sounded like yours for a sec I thought you were him but no chance not two of him,anyway shall pass this info on and thanks.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well done John, I must say I was impressed with you having a VACUUM CLEANER in the camper:thumb:, presumably Mo came out and used that complicated bit of kit, Health & Safety and all that:Blush:, Regards Richard

No mate.. bloody woman would not use it as she said she would have to cross the demarkation line and enter a domain outside her usual remit..

Gonna have to stop the bitch reading books.. she is getting ideas WAY above her station.. Carry's on like this and she will be asking for ANOTHER new dress.. I already bough her the one she got married in and that was only 35 years ago..

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I thought you were him but no chance not two of him,anyway shall pass this info on and thanks.

As no doubt those who know me will be only too willing to testify, you should be more concerned at the poss. of there being two of ME in the world rather than two of your mate ! LOL !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back