Truma exhaust cowl ducting (1 Viewer)

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
I am having problems with my Truma boiler with white smoke ( steam) coming out of the side mounted external exhaust flue and also water dripping out of the flue. I phoned Truma up yesterday and they suggest it may be a flue blockage or ducting problem. Having opened up the external locker to the boiler and put my hand on the black ducting that goes to the flue, and given it a shake, I think they may be right as it is very rattly. I suspect that maybe the inner steel core ( which I believe goes to the exhaust part of the external flue) may have come loose so that the inlet and exhaust air supplies are getting mixed up in the pipe. To my mind, this might explain the white steam and dripping water?
So, I need to access the pipe and check its connection to the flue. It's going to be very tight to do that from inside the van ( 2004 Rapido 786) and may involve me in some cabinet disassembly. But I guess it will be doable. My question though is, can this be done from outside of the van? I cannot do it via the locker as it's just not possible to get your hand round to the inside of the flue. But, can you undo the flue from the outside and pull it away from the van wall with the pipe still attached and then inspect and fix from there or is the hole in the van wall too small for the pipe to fit through anyway? If anyone knows then I'd appreciate the help as I just want to try and do this the easiest way possible!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just been and had a look at my van, the outer flue pipe is larger than the hole also you need to get at the back as the pipe is held on with a jubilee clip.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
My truma is under a removable pan drawer located under the sinks. Not sure if yours is the same. If it is then it's easy to remove the curved kitchen door, drawer and other woodwork. This gives good access to the heater and flue pipe plus clips.
I have the outer door also but the above gave better access. Mine's a Rapido btw.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
When the boiler is working on our van there is usually steam coming out of the flue on cold days and the flue vents do drip a little water (condensation) as itā€™s a balanced fluešŸ˜Š

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I confirm that for a short while following start up, our flue vents steam and drips water. This clears as soon as everything heats up. I can also confirm that my inner and outer flue pipes are not kinked or obstructed.

Geoff

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
My truma is under a removable pan drawer located under the sinks. Not sure if yours is the same. If it is then it's easy to remove the curved kitchen door, drawer and other woodwork. This gives good access to the heater and flue pipe plus clips.
I have the outer door also but the above gave better access. Mine's a Rapido btw.
My truma is also under the sink in a corner with no obvious access any clues/ photos (also a rapido)

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
Mine is against the side wall of the mh and there is an external door to give further access.
I removed the curved door, the pan drawer then unscrewed the shelf under the pan drawer to give good access to the Truma.

OP
OP
RichardandKaren

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
The only way I can get to the inlet/exhaust pipes that connect to the external flue is by removing the gas hob. The pan drawer under the sink slides out but that doesn't give access to the bit I need to get to. I actually need new ducting as the external pipe has split where it enters the boiler ( I've temporarily attempted to seal it with aluminium tape) and replacement ducting is not currently available from Truma ( or any supplier that I can find) and they don't know when they will get some ( coming from China I suspect). I have found the right diameter heat resistant ducting on ebay ( 55 mm exhaust pipe and 80mm inlet pipe) but the gas qualified guy who is going to do the work for me says he will only fit the approved Truma parts or else his insurance is invalid. fair point I suppose.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
The only way I can get to the inlet/exhaust pipes that connect to the external flue is by removing the gas hob. The pan drawer under the sink slides out but that doesn't give access to the bit I need to get to. I actually need new ducting as the external pipe has split where it enters the boiler ( I've temporarily attempted to seal it with aluminium tape) and replacement ducting is not currently available from Truma ( or any supplier that I can find) and they don't know when they will get some ( coming from China I suspect). I have found the right diameter heat resistant ducting on ebay ( 55 mm exhaust pipe and 80mm inlet pipe) but the gas qualified guy who is going to do the work for me says he will only fit the approved Truma parts or else his insurance is invalid.
This is why Rapido cut an access hatch in the external wall of their later mhs as virtually the whole kitchen had to be dismantled to gain access to the heater otherwise.
Once you eventually gain access can you change the exhaust flue pipe yourself? I looked at mine and it just looks standard metallised ribbed flex piping.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back