Troubleshooting Dometic RMS 8501 Fridge Issues (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Right then!! Got the bar steward to work properly on gas at last!! Check out this photo from the Dometic service manual as I’m going to refer to it.

I want to pass on my thanks to the guy at A1 Mobile Caravan & Motorhome Services 07811 732367 / 01925 451513 who very kindly called me back and discussed the problem without charging me for his thoughts, experience and time, despite my offer to BACS him some ££.

I opened up both fridge vents in the side of the MoHo, the bottom one provides incoming air and the top is for the exhaust gases.
At the bottom right hand side of the fridge there is a galvanised metal cover assembly held in place with a PH2 self tapping screw, remove the screw and the cover.
Behind the cover you will find the burner assembly, consisting of a burner module supplied by a gas pipe from the gas regulator located on the left hand side of the fridge.
Then I located the burner module (see pic) that’s held to the burner chimney by a PH2 screw, you can see the hole for the screw adjacent to the tip of the igniter (1 in the pic)
The burner assembly is mounted on a steel bar, I’ll call this the “burner bar” you can see that another screw between numbers 1 & 2 holds it in place.
The steel “burner” bar has the gas pipe from the regulator inserted into it from the left hand side, the gas pipe is held in place with a bolt that has the gas pipe running through it.
You need to remove this bolt. The bolt is VERY tight, I used a 12mm spanner on the burner bar and an 11mm on the head of the bolt.
Completely undo the bolt, unscrew the PH2 screw holding the burner to the chimney and wiggle the burner off the bottom of the chimney.
Leave the wiring for the igniter and the ioniser attached.
Look down the gas pipe end of the burner bar, you will see a tiny hole that lets the gas through, this is what gets blocked.
I removed the screw that holds the burner assembly to the burner bar (between 1 & 2 in the pic). It was very tight, I used a PH2 stubby screwdriver with another screwdriver inserted through the hole in the stubby’s handle as a tommy bar to get some more leverage. This freed up the burner bar for further inspection.
The burner bar has two holes drilled in its sides, underneath the bracket that holds 1 to the bar and underneath the number 3 in the pic. Using a small slotted screw driver inserted through these holes gently prise out the small metal cap that has the tiny hole in it. It’s a piece of pressed steel and looks like a little beany hat. It isn’t tight, just a nice snug fit.
I used a very fine needle to clean/clear the hole of debris from either side, it is a specific diameter so don’t damage it or enlarge it as you clean it out.
I also blew down the burner bar, blocking all the holes in the sides with my fingers (like when you were a kid learning to murder a recorder in music lessons at school!) and was astonished by how much crud came out of the burner hole and all over my nice clean shirt!!

Re-assembly…..
Replace the burner assembly onto the burner bar, insert and tighten the PH2 screw.
Insert the gas jet into the burner bar and ensure it’s seated properly, then insert the gas pipe, check that you can see the end of the jet by looking through the holes in the side of the bar and that it’s seated squarely in the burner bar.
Tighten the bolt that holds the gas pipe to the bar until you have about 1.5 threads still to go, wiggle the bar and burner onto the chimney and insert and tighten the screw. That holds the assembly to the chimney.
Using the 11mm and 12mm spanners tighten the gas pipe to the burner bar.
Replace the galvanised steel cover, ensuring that you don’t snag the wiring for the igniter or ioniser.

Fire up the fridge, you should hear the igniter click three or four times and then stop.
Look through the inspection hole in the galvanised cover, you should see a nice steady blue gas flame coming from the burner.
Check the top of the chimney, it should be starting to get hot only seconds after the burner ignited. It will get too hot to touch in a minute or so.
If you look through the top vent in the side of the MoHo you will see that the fridge has a series of metal fins, this is the heat exchanger, these fins should be starting to warm up after about 6-7 minutes.
After about 15 minutes check the fins in the freezer compartment, they should be starting to get cold.

Job Jobbed!!

Hope this helps some of you. It’s not all that difficult to do if you’re reasonably good at DIY.
Dometic recommend that you do this every 12 months.

Cheers!

Russ

IMG_0193.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back