Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
Hi all,

We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Croatia in 2021 or 2022. It will be our first time abroad in the motorhome for some years so I’d really appreciate some help and advice of what we should be aware of or need .i.e. permits etc.

I have driven abroad on numerous occasions, I lived in Spain for 6 years many moons ago, and our last trip was down to Southern Spain in the old Bessacarr 10 years ago, so confident enough, it’s just all the changes in legislation and air quality passes etc I’m unsure of.

The route we will be taking is likely to be as pictured , and we haven’t planned any stops or sites yet, so again, any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
A2E54626-FCC0-49B7-BF89-05B04FB77E4C.jpeg

OP
OP
Yorkshire Puds

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
I’m thinking the Stuttgart route rather than the Munich route might be best, to avoid Slovenia as best possible, as I’m sure I read the roads and speed limits aren’t so good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
The route you have posted is the one I use - although I normally stop in either Austria or Slovenia and ride my motorcycle to croatia

The route is toll free until you reach Austria, where you will require a vignette or if over 3500kg a go-box. You will also need to pay the Karawanken tunnel toll into Slovenia and a vignette for Slovenia

The route is mainly on motorway/autobahn roads (including though Slovenia)

Obviously during peak holiday periods traffic could be a problem & slow your progress. I normally do the journey (to Austria) in one hit, but if delayed by traffic/roadworks/etc I simply pull in to an autohof

If you're like me, keen to get to the destination, then its a good route. However, if like 'normal' motorhomers you want to amble down there and see the sights, I'm afraid I can't help on that one

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yorkshire Puds

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks Nasher, much appreciated.
The route you have posted is the one I use - although I normally stop in either Austria or Slovenia and ride my motorcycle to croatia

The route is toll free until you reach Austria, where you will require a vignette or if over 3500kg a go-box. You will also need to pay the Karawanken tunnel toll into Slovenia and a vignette for Slovenia

The route is mainly on motorway/autobahn roads (including though Slovenia)

Obviously during peak holiday periods traffic could be a problem & slow your progress. I normally do the journey (to Austria) in one hit, but if delayed by traffic/roadworks/etc I simply pull in to an autohof

If you're like me, keen to get to the destination, then its a good route. However, if like 'normal' motorhomers you want to amble down there and see the sights, I'm afraid I can't help on that one

when you say the route selected, do you use the one in blue or grey?

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It’s worth getting the German Umwelt sticker for peace of mind. Ours was checked by police near the German /Austrian border on the road that comes from Innsbruck. We were not in a city.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yorkshire Puds

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
It’s worth getting the German Umwelt sticker for peace of mind. Ours was checked by police near the German /Austrian border on the road that comes from Innsbruck. We were not in a city.

Thanks Annie,
how do we go about getting the Umwelt sticker? And what does it actually entitle?

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Between Frankfurt and Munich is the lovely old town of Rothenburg Ob der Tauber. Medieval walled town with a good stellplatz just outside the walls.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
The route across Belguim as far as Liege has plenty of decent motorway services or Aires and it doesn't make much difference wether you take the E40 or E42 option, just don't waste time going as far up as Antwerp, unless you like lorries! We have done these routes on a dozen or more trips to the Alps and have found several very nice "spots" on the way, often as a result of doing a bit of x-country instead of the m-way.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back