Travelling to France and then onward (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Although this subject has been done to death, we have quite specific issues that aren't explained on any UK or EU website.

Firstly the facts:
  • I am double jabbed and expecting a booster.
  • Mrs DDJC is double jabbed and expecting a booster.
  • Eldest son is nearly 17 and is unvaxxed, although we would definitely want to vax him if we could. However, he is non-verbal ASD and we have as much chance of getting him jabbed as we have of swimming the channel, as his comprehension is extremely limited. He is 6'5", built like a Sherman tank and will go booloo.
  • Younger son is nearly 14 and is also unvaxxed. And yes, he is also ASD, and will also go bonkers. He is much more slightly built and we could hold him still and get him squirted, but I doubt that the vaccinator will be willing to do it.
As far as I understand it, as we are an Amber country to France, we have to have a double vax certificate (anyone know what this looks like?). However, as my boys can't be jabbed, I haven't found anything that offers a suggestion around this.

I suppose we could wait and hope that UK goes Green, or a nasal spray is approved, but has anyone any suggestions that aren't founded purely on optimism?

Thanks in advance.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Although this subject has been done to death, we have quite specific issues that aren't explained on any UK or EU website.

Firstly the facts:
  • I am double jabbed and expecting a booster.
  • Mrs DDJC is double jabbed and expecting a booster.
  • Eldest son is nearly 17 and is unvaxxed, although we would definitely want to vax him if we could. However, he is non-verbal ASD and we have as much chance of getting him jabbed as we have of swimming the channel, as his comprehension is extremely limited. He is 6'5", built like a Sherman tank and will go booloo.
  • Younger son is nearly 14 and is also unvaxxed. And yes, he is also ASD, and will also go bonkers. He is much more slightly built and we could hold him still and get him squirted, but I doubt that the vaccinator will be willing to do it.
As far as I understand it, as we are an Amber country to France, we have to have a double vax certificate (anyone know what this looks like?). However, as my boys can't be jabbed, I haven't found anything that offers a suggestion around this.

I suppose we could wait and hope that UK goes Green, or a nasal spray is approved, but has anyone any suggestions that aren't founded purely on optimism?

Thanks in advance.
My understanding is that unvaccinated minors can travel with parent but not alone ! Logical ? Nope

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I think your out of luck, at the moment, but surely France will go green soon and of course the traffic light system is due to be dropped as well, you may have better news soon, I hope!

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I think your out of luck, at the moment, but surely France will go green soon and of course the traffic light system is due to be dropped as well, you may have better news soon, I hope!
I suspect you are right !

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
There isn’t a way around it for your sons for a holiday. I doubt they would be able to get a medical exemption even on compassionate grounds to visit a dying relative. The pandemic is far from over. France has fewer people double jabbed than us.

A nasal spray isn’t close to being ready I’m afraid. It would be ideal for your sons but it relies on using a live attenuated virus and the newer research is concentrating on mRNA technology which won’t work in a nasal spray, you have to have replicating virus not fragments.

Hopefully France will be on the Green list soon for you and your family.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I suspect you are right
There isn’t a way around it for your sons for a holiday. I doubt they would be able to get a medical exemption even on compassionate grounds to visit a dying relative. The pandemic is far from over. France has fewer people double jabbed than us.

A nasal spray isn’t close to being ready I’m afraid. It would be ideal for your sons but it relies on using a live attenuated virus and the newer research is concentrating on mRNA technology which won’t work in a nasal spray, you have to have replicating virus not fragments.

Not far off 81.7% of population over age 12 double vaccinated . Not over 16

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Not far off 81.7% of population over age 12 double vaccinated . Not over 16
I admit I hadn’t counted children as we only started them recently. In the UK 12-17 yr and 9 months will get a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine whereas the over 17 yr 9 months will have 2 doses. Different countries seem to be doing things differently. The 12-15 yr olds are getting theirs at school so I’m glad I’m not involved in that. The 16-17 yr olds are bad enough!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I admit I hadn’t counted children as we only started them recently. In the UK 12-17 yr and 9 months will get a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine whereas the over 17 yr 9 months will have 2 doses. Different countries seem to be doing things differently. The 12-15 yr olds are getting theirs at school so I’m glad I’m not involved in that. The 16-17 yr olds are bad enough!
Grand daughter 16 has had hers and now it is her brothers turn age 14 ! Being a boy doesn't like needles lol No chance of dodging as both parents are pharmacists !
Age 12 upwards was announced during school holidays here . And all health workers . Some already suspended as refused to be vaccinated . Not the numbers they expected . Around 3,000 suspended out of over 71,000.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp

Thanks Carolyn. Good to hear a medical professional's opinion! I thought that this was the case, but the breadth of knowledge and insight on the Motorhomefun forum made me ask here first.

To be honest, it isn't just about being able to travel. We are total believers in the vaccine and our boys deserve the same protection as every other teenager. It has been suggested that a squirt of Midazolam up the hooter might be just enough to keep them calm. We're familiar with this approach. They have to be gassed down and then a full GA before they have a dental filling!

Hate autism.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back