Jun 13, 2020
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Net yet!
Exp
Next year I hope
Hi All,

I'm just researching at the moment and not planning to buy until next year, but I am trying to understand payload.

Thanks to this forum I now know that 3,500kg could be an issue, but luckily I have a C1. I'll be buying new or a couple of years old but think I understand the Fiat weight/chassis/up plating options so confident about what to look for and what can be done to to increase payload on a secondhand van. What I don't see anything about is the Mk8 transit, apologies if my searching is a bit rubbish...

So, If I look at, say a Chausson, there is an option for the 4,400kg Chassis if you order new (albeit without the auto box which is a Ford constraint I think) but if I buy a second hand 3,500 kg chassis, how far can the gross weight be uprated and at what sort of cost?

Anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Ape

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Good question they all seam to be built on the same ford fwd chassis, the mk7 rwd twin wheel was simply a paper exercise to upgrade to 3850kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I bought a 2016 chausson 620 on the ford base.. it was plated at 3500kg but I had to have it up rated for my needs..
sv tech said that I could uprated to 4000kg without any modifications or changes. simply a paper exercise..
the max individual axel weights remained unchanged...
not sure what you could go to if you fitted air assist and uprated tyres but a phone call to them would clear that up... I just did the paper upgrade.
Andy

OP
OP
IslandApe

IslandApe

Free Member
Jun 13, 2020
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Net yet!
Exp
Next year I hope
I bought a 2016 chausson 620 on the ford base.. it was plated at 3500kg but I had to have it up rated for my needs..
sv tech said that I could uprated to 4000kg without any modifications or changes. simply a paper exercise..
the max individual axel weights remained unchanged...
not sure what you could go to if you fitted air assist and uprated tyres but a phone call to them would clear that up... I just did the paper upgrade.
Andy

Hi Andy.

Many thanks - just the answer I needed plus I know where to go to get the job done.

I estimate I need 600kg payload at most. So as I want a van under 7 metres I'd be unlucky for gross weight to be an issue I think.

Ape

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can also use a chap called John Ruffles for uprating too, about half the cost of SVTech, just search the forum for his name and my ID and they should pop up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back