Trackers (1 Viewer)

Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Just bought a van, picking it up in January.

I’ll probably go for a vanbitz alarm. Insurance doesn’t require a tracker, but feel I ought to get one. However if van did get nicked then would police do anything, even more so would they bother abroad.

Thoughts on a tracker would be welcome, something that is fitted by a professional preferably. The monitoring cost seems the factor that weighs most heavily. Thoughts and ideas would be most welcome.

Thank you

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Any security system helps, but a Tracker helps to get a stolen vehicle recovered.

Yes, there is a cost but is £100 pa or so a lot to pay to recover a vehicle worth £50 - £150k?

You may also get a discount on your insurance or even find you are uninsurable without one.

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Thank you Maison,

Who do you use? I suppose I don’t have a problem, it’s finding a sensibly priced one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I would do a search on Ebay etc for a "tracker blocker" - they are not expensive.

I suspect you might need something fairly expensive to beat them. (y)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have a Scorpion tracker fitted to my van after previously having a van stolen. Had the present tracker fitted at home professionally, as insurance companies only recognise certain makes of tracker. A bonus I had not expected is the tracker recording of where I have been. It shows on its own map how fast I was travelling minute by minute with a Google Street little man that generates a picture of the road and surroundings, in my case for the whole five months of our tour overseas. Brilliant!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thank you Maison,

Who do you use? I suppose I don’t have a problem, it’s finding a sensibly priced one.
Talk to that Eddie geezer wot hangs around eddievanbitz place, doesn’t do a minutes work just hangs about having a brew and eating all the biscuits ? MetaTrak for us, brilliant bit of kit ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had the Smartrack fitted at a cost of £199 plus £399 to Global Telematics for lifetime monitoring.

Its on offer at the moment, reduced from £229 to £199, it's an asset tracker only as we don't want the driver fobs etc as hubby would more than likely leave his at home! This is the company we're using, when hubby rang about it they said its a very good tracker for the money, made in the UK and good quality, so no need for anything more expensive.

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
I have a Scorpion tracker fitted to my van after previously having a van stolen. Had the present tracker fitted at home professionally, as insurance companies only recognise certain makes of tracker. A bonus I had not expected is the tracker recording of where I have been. It shows on its own map how fast I was travelling minute by minute with a Google Street little man that generates a picture of the road and surroundings, in my case for the whole five months of our tour overseas. Brilliant!

Thank you, who did the fitting please?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thank you Maison,

My current one is Tracker/Retrieve, the “original” Tracker that you will have heard of.

My previous m/h was a Swift and had their own version tracker installed. It was a lower annual charge, £85 I think. It worked well as I was rung twice by the company stating that they had noticed the m/h had moved and checking that it was kosher.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We had the Smartrack fitted at a cost of £199 plus £399 to Global Telematics for lifetime monitoring.

Its on offer at the moment, reduced from £229 to £199, it's an asset tracker only as we don't want the driver fobs etc as hubby would more than likely leave his at home! This is the company we're using, when hubby rang about it they said its a very good tracker for the money, made in the UK and good quality, so no need for anything more expensive.

All Category Five and Six were delisted by Thatcham December 2018

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
All Category Five and Six were delisted by Thatcham December 2018
Not what it says on The Thatcham site Eddie ... they've just changed the groups/group names:

1574108656639.png

1574108570329.png

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Only compliant with age

Ergo a Cat Six fitted in 2019 would not be acceptable and could result in an insurance claim being denied, yet a 2018 installation with a Cat 6 would still be acceptable to insurers in 2021 for example

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Only compliant with age

Ergo a Cat Six fitted in 2019 would not be acceptable and could result in an insurance claim being denied, yet a 2018 installation with a Cat 6 would still be acceptable to insurers in 2021 for example
I don't think I totally understand what you're trying to say Eddie, the name or function of the trackers hasn't changed as they are the same product, it's just the categories that have been renamed ... our tracker is what would have been a cat 7 but is now classed as a cat 7S.

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
I don't think I totally understand what you're trying to say Eddie, the name or function of the trackers hasn't changed as they are the same product, it's just the categories that have been renamed ... our tracker is what would have been a cat 7 but is now classed as a cat 7S.

So is your tracker acceptable to the insurance company Mel?

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I contacted the tracker company and they have agents all over the country. Mine was fitted within a couple of days of calling them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
It always makes me laugh and we get it in here.
You spend anything from £50,000 up to £300,000 on a Motorhome and people then try and go as cheap as possible for accessories, security etc etc.
We keep stripping cheap products out of vans as we have turned them off permanently when we bring the vehicles in for prep. We have even found battery powered LED flashing lights in the window to try and convince Mr Thief it was an alarm!
A top of the range tracker from Vanbitz is £400 ish I think of the top of my head, thats 1% of the value of an average motorhome to stop it getting nicked, its a no brainer.
Its no different than spending £100 buying the ingredients for the Xmas dinner from Waitrose, then getting the Beef from Farm Foods.......

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It always makes me laugh and we get it in here.
You spend anything from £50,000 up to £300,000 on a Motorhome and people then try and go as cheap as possible for accessories, security etc etc.
It may make you laugh but with the cost of MHs not everyone can afford to buy expensive alarms, trackers etc and why should they when there is actually no need to. Some like certain alarms, some others, same with trackers and other bits and bobs, but I certainly would not criticise people for their choices.

We keep stripping cheap products out of vans as we have turned them off permanently when we bring the vehicles in for prep. We have even found battery powered LED flashing lights in the window to try and convince Mr Thief it was an alarm!
Surely if they couldn't afford, or didn't want, an actual alarm that's up to them?

A top of the range tracker from Vanbitz is £400 ish I think of the top of my head, thats 1% of the value of an average motorhome to stop it getting nicked, its a no brainer.
To you maybe but not me ... £399 for the tracker on it's own plus £150 a year ... and the cost/hassle of going to/from Cornish Pasty Country. If what I have is totally acceptable to the insurance company (and is more than we've had previously as we've never had a tracker), will do what I need without loads of extra stuff such as fobs or whatever else you can get as 'extras' which I don't want, then why do I have to spend more just because I have an expensive MH? Same with the alarm, we've had the same alarm on previous MHs and it's worked perfectly and didn't cost anything like the Vanbitz one ... whilst I appreciate that the VB one is a top notch one not everyone wants, or needs, that.

Its no different than spending £100 buying the ingredients for the Xmas dinner from Waitrose, then getting the Beef from Farm Foods.......
Using that analogy then no-one would ever dream of buying a new expensive car and having it serviced by their trusted local mechanic ...

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Thank you all for your contributions. I’ve ended up wiser and will make a choice based on the above. Saved a lot of time on research.?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

But it's insured for theft.
Do we really need to spend hundreds of pounds to save the insurance companies having to pay out a claim for the theft if it is nicked

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Do we really need to spend hundreds of pounds to save the insurance companies having to pay out a claim for the theft if it is nicked
only if the insurers require it in order to provide cover.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Yes we should!

I take the view that every vehicle recovered saves the insurance companies tens of thousands of pounds a year. This reduces their costs and helps keep the premiums down for ALL of us.

Ian

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I would do a search on Ebay etc for a "tracker blocker" - they are not expensive.

I suspect you might need something fairly expensive to beat them. (y)
Scary

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
We had strikeback and tracker installed by VanBitz many years ago. Backup service has always been efficient and knowledgeable, cant fault it- bit pricey but installation was superb.
Big advantage of the tracker is that when you wander off into a megamarket when abroad and the scroats know you will be an hour or two then if there's any problem my phone rings and I can decide what to do.
So far so good, perhaps its eddies multilingual signs that have kept scroats away?
Mike & Ann
ps Apologies if I shoudn't use a word like scroats

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
eddievanbitz ... have you ever tried one of these in a MH which you've put your kit in to see if it has any effect on it?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
eddievanbitz ... have you ever tried one of these in a MH which you've put your kit in to see if it has any effect on it?
Yes, and lots of similar devices, our anti jam software seems impervious to them yet, we can make some other systems disappear at will.

Strangely I have the latest bad boy technology arriving from the Far East tomorrow to attack our systems, costing considerably more than that LOL

All trackers are equal? No they’re not lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back