Tracker for Insurance for Campers/Motorhomes. (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Ive just renewed my insurance on my Expedition Truck and need to install at minimum a Cat S7 Tracker.
Are there any preferred companies to use that don't cost an arm and a leg? I've been looking on the interweb and the prices are all over the place.
They seem to start at £150 and go to £1000.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Ive just renewed my insurance on my Expedition Truck and need to install at minimum a Cat S7 Tracker.
Are there any preferred companies to use that don't cost an arm and a leg? I've been looking on the interweb and the prices are all over the place.
They seem to start at £150 and go to £1000.
Your location says you are in Cape town so you need to check what is available there, but for insurance purposes you would need to consider a provider such as Vodaphone / Tracker, Tracker (or similar) that provides a 24/7 help desk etc

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Your location says you are in Cape town so you need to check what is available there, but for insurance purposes you would need to consider a provider such as Vodaphone / Tracker, Tracker (or similar) that provides a 24/7 help desk etc
Great Thanks, Im currently in Great Britain but leave on Friday the 02 October on a 2 1/2 year travel around the UK, Europe and Africa to Cape Town South Africa.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We have been using Rewire Security tracker on all our vehicles for years.
Give them a ring as they are very approachable and knowledgeable of their products and the tracker sector as I suspect some areas you are likely to travel through may not be trackable due to phone service coverage.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Great Thanks, Im currently in Great Britain but leave on Friday the 02 October on a 2 1/2 year travel around the UK, Europe and Africa to Cape Town South Africa.
Can’t help with the tracker I’m afraid.... but are you going to do a thread of that trip..?

would love to follow that one..👍🏼

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Interesting you need a provider that can cover all those countries many will cover the UK and europe but once out of Europe the company needs to be able to have the links with the local law enforcement. along with the data sim needs network coverage in each country you visit easy in Europe but you need something that will follow you to south africa. You might want to call a few companies like Vodafone or Tracker, I am sure there are others but at least you will get some good advise about coverage

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
The immediate concern is for the next 18 -24 months travelling and being insured in Europe. After that I suppose ill move the insurance to a South African company.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Due to the value of our MH we had to have a tracker fitted for insurance although an alarm wasn't required but we got it thrown in as part of the purchase deal (FOC) so were happy with it:

Tracker: SmarTrack Protector Pro Global TQA453 - it cost £199 to have fitted and £399 for a lifetime subscription.

Alarm: Autowatch 695 (canbus) - we've had versions of this previously on other MHs/campers and never had any issues with them so more than happy to have one on our Carthago.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Due to the value of our MH we had to have a tracker fitted for insurance although an alarm wasn't required but we got it thrown in as part of the purchase deal (FOC) so were happy with it:

Tracker: SmarTrack Protector Pro Global TQA453 - it cost £199 to have fitted and £399 for a lifetime subscription.

Alarm: Autowatch 695 (canbus) - we've had versions of this previously on other MHs/campers and never had any issues with them so more than happy to have one on our Carthago.
again it’s not a global product it’s UK and Europe, maybe they can do a global product but a conversation would need to be had.

Standard Annual UK & European Subscription £149 per year inc VAT
Standard Duration of Vehicle Ownership UK & European Subscription £399 inc VAT

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
again it’s not a global product it’s UK and Europe, maybe they can do a global product but a conversation would need to be had.

Standard Annual UK & European Subscription £149 per year inc VAT
Standard Duration of Vehicle Ownership UK & European Subscription £399 inc VAT

As per ...

The immediate concern is for the next 18 -24 months travelling and being insured in Europe. After that I suppose ill move the insurance to a South African company.

If moving the insurance to a South African company it won't make much difference unless they insist on a tracker which I haven't a clue about as never been.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just had a peek at Vodacom (South africa) they are part of the Vodaphone group and operate in other African countries so it may be a call to Vodaphone and ask them if its possible to get post boarder transfer of tracking as you cross the globe, it may be as simple as having a new data sim and the device being registered on systems for tracking. I suspect the tracking kit is a global product and just set up for the service centre they cover.

I should add I do not have a Voda tracker and no self interest but your post is an interesting one on how can a MoHo owner have their vehicle tracked if traveling beyond UK and Europe, (particularly if it invalidates the insurance)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Maybe, but I’m a get a job done right first time type of guy ;)
Me too, but as it is called 'pro-global' there may be an option, for an extra subscription for a year, to have it cover more than the UK and Europe, certainly worth a phone call, we got ours from here:

I've just done a quick 'google' and the same tracker appears to be covered worldwide for HGVs .... as well as a slightly more expensive one that specifically mentions South Africa.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Me too, but as it is called 'pro-global' there may be an option, for an extra subscription for a year, to have it cover more than the UK and Europe, certainly worth a phone call, we got ours from here:

I've just done a quick 'google' and the same tracker appears to be covered worldwide for HGVs .... as well as a slightly more expensive one that specifically mentions South Africa.

Indeed phone around, never heard of Pro-Global but have heard of Vodafone and if they have operations in each country like Vodafone/VodaCom the its ideal but if its a UK based centre outreaching to others then the relationships between the company and police may be a little more tenuous. Not knocking it but id go with a Global organisation that also focusses on communication infrastructure for global reach ( and acknowledge that's not the case with the tracker I have)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back