Towbar 'plate'? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My MH was in for a Polish MOT equivalent today, prior to re-registration.

The tester says he cannot pass it because there is no 'plate' attached to the towbar. I presume this is to show the towing weight and/or the nose weight.

I do not use the towbar which was on the MH when I bought it.

I had never heard of a plate nor of a need for one. Has anyone got one? Is it a requirement in UK, as my MH passed 11 MOTs without?

Our garage is trying to 'find one to suit'. I hope he can, because I have no idea what towbar it is or who fitted it.

This requirement may be just Polish and may be a hangover from Communist times.

Can anyone please shed light on this 'plate' and have you got one? Tks in advance.

Geoff

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The one fitted to my van had one which said what the maximum nose weight could be, also had some other gubbins on it about type approval I think.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Take the ball off and fit a cheap bike rack in its place.
Could he be looking for a type approval sticker/ plate

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
I didn't use mine so I removed it. Left the wiring tucked up out of the way.

IMG_20190412_152830.jpg

Pete

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
after certain vehicle manufacture date any towbars fitted had to have type approval plate on them. as Geo has said that is likely it.
thats eu ruling i believe.
short answer remove the tow bar.

I wondered if it were date related.

So it is the manufacturing date of the vehicle.

Do you or anybody else know what date that was please?

Geoff

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
nicholsong
Is your motorhome <=3500kg? If not, don't think a type approval plate is required. >3500 not required.
Introduced late 90's (1998/99?)

EDIT as per #9 it was Aug 1998 and it also mentions the weight limitations.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
My MH was in for a Polish MOT equivalent today, prior to re-registration.

The tester says he cannot pass it because there is no 'plate' attached to the towbar. I presume this is to show the towing weight and/or the nose weight.

I do not use the towbar which was on the MH when I bought it.

I had never heard of a plate nor of a need for one. Has anyone got one? Is it a requirement in UK, as my MH passed 11 MOTs without?

Our garage is trying to 'find one to suit'. I hope he can, because I have no idea what towbar it is or who fitted it.

Can anyone please shed light on this 'plate' and have you got one? Tks in advance.

Geoff

For passenger vehicle (i.e. cars/minibus) 1998, unless over 3,500kg.
For light commerical, there is no requirement for type approval.

I would think a motorhome would count as passenger vehicle (not sure on this point), so require one from 1998. However, a panel van conversion would not have required type approval if fitted before conversion.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
When re-registering it is probably the same as here. If it has no homologation plate then it has to be removed.Completely.
Homologation plates have always been required in most european countries to allow the tow bar to be added to vehicle details.
Homologation plates have only been required in the UK on motorhomes since 2012 but any body is still allowed to fit them.

No it is EU.
Take the ball off and fit a cheap bike rack in its place.
You can't .The requirement is that even that would require homologation. It is only the UK that allows stuff like that to be fitted by anyone. Most EU countries you have to have a licence to fit them & be able to supply written confirmation to enable it to be added to the log book.

Could he be looking for a type approval sticker/ plate

Yes that is what he wants.

What it is is a metal plate with the sticker on that is attached mechanically to the tow bar.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It was stuff like this that we and other eu countries could not agree on that did away with the plans for two year testing and the ability to have you vehicle mot done anywhere in the EU regardless of origin

Feb 6, 2014
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer BC584 Classic
Exp
Since 2011
Your MOT tester is on the ball. Most testers don’t check this, and check only the 13 pin socket. As has been said Motorhomes from April 2012 require a type approved Towbar. The Towbar manufacturer can provide a self adhesive label, but you need to know what manufacturer you have. The most popular manufacturers are Witter, and Tow-Trust

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Its down to the EU regs and without starting a leave /remain debate is what the test is looking at, simple answer remove for test pass and refit, Towbar fitters charge £200 extra for that sticker on the same tow bar, suggest you photoshop someone's sticker and claim it fell off if unlucky to be involved in an accident!

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Your MOT tester is on the ball. Most testers don’t check this, and check only the 13 pin socket. As has been said Motorhomes from April 2012 require a type approved Towbar. The Towbar manufacturer can provide a self adhesive label, but you need to know what manufacturer you have. The most popular manufacturers are Witter, and Tow-Trust

Our MH is 2003 and >3500kg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
i THINK! the date is from 2012 manufacture of the vehicle... not absolutely sure of exact date.
I doubt if it's checked by anyone in the UK. It certainly isn't checked at the Mot. There are no off-the-shelf tow bars available for many Motorhomes. My 2015 Le Voyageur amongst them. I suspect custom towbar manufacturers don't / can't plate them anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back